CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my car i use my phone as my GPS when i am going someplace that i am not familiar with. I normally chuck the phone in front of the speedo and other gages. I can see needle when it gets to about 25.

Ide like to be able to use the phone as a gps on the CTX. Does anyone have a handle bar mount that they trust their phone in? I have a gs3 wrapped in an otterbox. Let me know what phone you have and what model mount you trust.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Angle is deceiving, the panel is not obstructed at all. Sitting on the bike, the angle is even less than this. You can put it anywhere on the bars.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
You are welcome Joe. It is rough road and speed tested, no problems. Very secure and will work with multiple phone/case combinations. I have used it daily for about 1.5 yrs with iphone5 and S4 with Otter Box cases.

·
Registered
74 Posts
RAM mounting option

Hi all,

If you like RAM mounts, they have this pretty cool option for motorcycles. Basically, you attach the ball pivot using a slightly longer handlebar clamp bolt (provided), and the rest of the mount clamps to that. I used it with my phone for GPS the other day, and it worked great. It's also easily removable (except for the ball) if you don't need it every day. (I.e. I don't mind having the ball mounted on the handlebar clamp -- it's pretty unobtrusive -- but since I don't need my GPS every day, I can easily remove the rest of the mounting system and leave it in the garage.)

Just another option for those of you looking for phone/GPS mounts...

Keep the shiny side up!

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
did you have to torque down the bolt? or just tight and another 1/4 turn?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi all,

If you like RAM mounts, they have this pretty cool option for motorcycles. Basically, you attach the ball pivot using a slightly longer handlebar clamp bolt (provided), and the rest of the mount clamps to that. I used it with my phone for GPS the other day, and it worked great. It's also easily removable (except for the ball) if you don't need it every day. (I.e. I don't mind having the ball mounted on the handlebar clamp -- it's pretty unobtrusive -- but since I don't need my GPS every day, I can easily remove the rest of the mounting system and leave it in the garage.)

Just another option for those of you looking for phone/GPS mounts...

Keep the shiny side up!

Scott
I'm not finding that ball mount on the RAM site. Do you have a part # for it?

Also not sure if this option works for my bike since I have the ROX Risers now.

·
Registered
338 Posts
That mount looks like a nice solution. I prefer to hear the directions spoken to me, so I simply leave the phone plugged in the accessory socket in the glove box, and bought a pretty cheap bluetooth set up from Sensa for my helmet. The unit is unobtrusive on the helmet, and the sound quality is excellent. This way, I set up the map/GPS, put it in the glove box and take off on my journey. It can be nice to see the mapping on the phone, but when I ride a cycle I do not want that distraction, and I find the talking out of the directions (whether from Google Maps or Apple's maps) to be excellent... no real need to be looking at the map visually. Someone wrote they were concerned about the unit overheating in the glove box, but I simply have it resting on a soft cloth in the glovebox, and even on long rides in pretty bad heat, it has never overheated my phone.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That mount looks like a nice solution. I prefer to hear the directions spoken to me, so I simply leave the phone plugged in the accessory socket in the glove box, and bought a pretty cheap bluetooth set up from Sensa for my helmet. The unit is unobtrusive on the helmet, and the sound quality is excellent. This way, I set up the map/GPS, put it in the glove box and take off on my journey. It can be nice to see the mapping on the phone, but when I ride a cycle I do not want that distraction, and I find the talking out of the directions (whether from Google Maps or Apple's maps) to be excellent... no real need to be looking at the map visually. Someone wrote they were concerned about the unit overheating in the glove box, but I simply have it resting on a soft cloth in the glovebox, and even on long rides in pretty bad heat, it has never overheated my phone.
I can't leave my Galaxy 3 in my glove box any longer- it gets way too hot especially if it's plugged in to charge.

I use a Sena as well and really like it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got the Ram handlebar mounted smartphone holder and use the Sena SMH10R Bluetooth for communication with the passenger, music, and GPS directions. Great setup...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not finding that ball mount on the RAM site. Do you have a part # for it?

Also not sure if this option works for my bike since I have the ROX Risers now.

Hi Kathy,

It's part number RAM-B-367U, here:

RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws

I don't know if it's compatible with the ROX risers, but it does come with three additional bolts of various lengths, and I'm pretty sure I used the shortest one, so there will be two longer options in the package. It uses standard M8 socket-head bolts, they just include three slightly longer ones to accommodate the base.

You'd have to order the arm and X-Grip holder separately. Part numbers RAP-B-201U-A and RAM-HOL-UN7BU.

RAM Short Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball Bases (Overall Length: 2.38")

RAM Cradle Holder - Universal X-Grip® Cell/iPhone Holder with 1" Ball

Hope this helps,

Scott

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use the Ram-X mount as well for my Razr Maxx phablet. I've got the Madstad wind screen on my bike and mounted the U-bolt bracket to the cross member of the screen's support bracket. Raises the angle to view the screen without obstructing my view of the instrument panel or the road. Not to mention it's a rock solid mount. Money well spent.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here are some pictures of the mount I bought from Leather up. $10.95 + shipping. Great mount, I've had zero issues, and it holds great. No tools needed, and no modifications on the bike. It rotates 360* degrees and the mount and phone base separate from each other.

Mount

Mounted on the bike

Mounted A little rotation

Flat Across

Mount On bike, phone base seperated.

View of the bottom of clamp

View of top of clamp

Reactions: Woodswoman
1 - 19 of 19 Posts