CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i appreciate all the info u all give on this wonderful site.
i would appreciate any help on the how to of putting a sissy bar and bracket on my 2014 700 ctx with faring. thank you

·
Registered
975 Posts
I see that you just joined the site this month. Welcome.

In order for members to help you, you're going to have to give us more information.

Is your bike already accessorized with the "back rest supports" and rear carrier, or is it just stock with the grab handles installed?

·
Registered
89 Posts
my ctx 700 is standard just the two side handles on the rear. thanks
Did you ever get the answer to this?

I ordered a CTX with fairing and assume it will have the hand grabs in back.

What exactly do I need to order to add a rack? I'll be putting a givi case on so don't need/want the backrest.

Any help appreciated.

·
Banned
463 Posts
To add the carrier you need the Bracket Backrest and the Rear Carrier.
If you have an "N" model you also need the inner support.
The Bracket Backrest is needed even if you don't get the Backrest.

Reactions: JerseyBiker

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone. Forgive me if I placed this in a wrong thread. I've just got CTX700N model and installed the OEM Inner Support Brackets on it. I also have the Bracket Backrests to install the rear carrier and top box eventually. Unfortunately, I do not have any mounting hardware for the Bracket Backrests attachment to the inner support. I know 8mm bolts are used for that and thin and thick spacers (I figured they should be 3/8 ID and 3/4 OD). Does anybody know how thick they should be? I would appreciate your answers. My local Honda dealer refuse to provide me this information or sell just mounting hardware.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi everyone. Forgive me if I placed this in a wrong thread. I've just got CTX700N model and installed the OEM Inner Support Brackets on it. I also have the Bracket Backrests to install the rear carrier and top box eventually. Unfortunately, I do not have any mounting hardware for the Bracket Backrests attachment to the inner support. I know 8mm bolts are used for that and thin and thick spacers (I figured they should be 3/8 ID and 3/4 OD). Does anybody know how thick they should be? I would appreciate your answers. My local Honda dealer refuse to provide me this information or sell just mounting hardware.
I recently installed the Backrest Bracket (BB) and Rear Carrier on a faired CTX. I seem to remember that all of the bolts were in with the BB bag. There were three different sizes plus washers. Are those items not in your BB bag? If not, from whom did you purchase the BB? I'd go back to them for any missing items. Attached is a parts list.

Attachments

Reactions: AACH

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Unfortunately the hardware supplied with the OEM backrest brackets for the CTX700 cannot be ordered separately so your dealer would not be able to help you. Unfortunately without ripping my bike apart, I cannot provide you with the correct sizes for the collars since they are specific to the backrest brackets. You could order the hardware for the grab handles for the faired version CTX from Procaliber and then use washers to adjust the height. 2014 Honda CTX700 A REAR COWL | Pro Caliber. Or you could use multiple washers appropriately sized to build the necessary clearance spacing. The backrest bracket needs to sit about an 1/8 of an inch above the rear cowl when mounted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you, jfc77320,
The offset info is what I needed. I found appropriate spacers in terms of diameter, but wasn't sure how high above the cowl it should seat.
Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you JW.Grayson,
I've got brackets as a gift, but without any mounting hardware. On Honda's site I found installation instruction, and that's how I knew about spacers. Just needed their height info.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
If 270$ is steep then make your own! :p

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Mine are presently off right now, being modified.

The bolt is M8X1.25X30 if installing the backrest brackets alone.
The bolt is M8X1.25X35 if installing the backrest brackets and the saddlebag brackets.
The bolt is M8X1.25X45 if installing the brackets brackets, saddlebag brackets and grab bars.
So, 10mm difference in grab bars and rear backrest brackets, 5mm difference in saddlebag or front backrest brackets. There is many combinations that can be made.

Spacer/Bushing/Collar

The backrest bracket has an uneven thickness by 4mm thicker in the back. The front requires the thick ones and the rear requires the thin ones.

Now the specs:
Thick - 15mm Long X 8mm ID X 21mm OD
Thin - 11mm Long X 8mm ID X 21mm OD

·
Registered
7 Posts
20mm O.D spacer for 8mm bolt are impossible to find here. Even the closest 7/8-inch size are usually long and of 5/8-inch I.D. I found both 10mm and 6mm length M8 Clearance spacers with 20mm O.D. on eBay with shipping from England. So my installation is postponed. Here is the link to the spacers/seller if somebody needs such spacers:

M8 Clearance Stainless Steel 20mm O/D washer / spacer / sleeve PICK LENGTH | eBay

Ride safely everybody!

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Don't make it a big deal, this is all you need to do:

Get 8 each 10mm washers and 6 each 8mm washers at your local hardware store. Or get 14 each 10mm washers instead, this is a little less of a cleaner/even install.

Stack two 10 mm washers on the very bottom of each bolt location. Their soul purpose width is to align/lock the grommet/fender in place. Next stack one 8mm washer ontop of the rear washers. Then place three 8mm washers on top of the front 10mm stacks. Or if going 10mm all around, just stack the proper amount at each location. Then place the bracket ontop of the washer stacks and bolt it down. And your done!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
You can also buy the grommets and handhold collars (spacers) from www.procaliber.com and then add washers to gain the necessary height. If your in a hurry, you could have your dealer order them since they are a standard factory item on the CTX700 (fairing) model. Probably cheaper too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you Rebel13 and jfc77320 for suggestions. I've considered stacking washers option, but have decided to use 20 mm spacers as they nicely fit Rubber Cushion that covers a mounting opening an a the rear cowl (on top of inner support brackets). And I've ordered those spacers for $11 from the guy in England. Similar, but worse fitting spacers in local store are around $5 a piece. And my local dealer couldn't order anything, but a whole bracket kit.
Thanks again everybody for your help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts