CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTX DTC w/Sweet SL220 Sidecar
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on purchasing a CTX700 and would like to put a sidecar on it using the Honda 17" front wheel and 230mm Honda rear disk brake with a 17" front wheel as a spare.

Is anyone else interested in pursuing selecting and mounting a sidecar. I'd like to hear your ideas of what would look appropriate.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You might also want to look at a Ural. They were designed for sidecars and can handle the stresses easily.

Chris

·
Registered
2014 CTX DTC w/Sweet SL220 Sidecar
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for a slab-worthy rig. The Ural doesn't cut it.
Fred

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is the side car offered by Honda or this a third party product?
good question i would be more happy with a honda sidecar, if they are the one's making the bike, then getting a sidecar from them would be idea.

how i see it aftermarket companies don't have the time and money to do what a company as big as honda can when it comes to product development.

never had a sidecar before, how much do they usually weigh and how will gas mileage suffer?

·
Registered
49 Posts
You might also want to look at a Ural. They were designed for sidecars and can handle the stresses easily.

Chris

what is it about the Ural that makes it better at handling the stress for a side car? Can anything be done for the CTX700 to make it better and capable of a sidecar?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Ural is better suit with a sidecar, if the side car wasn't there it would be weird looking. But personally I would like the Ural by itself. Wouldn't be too much of a hassle to take the sidecar on and off every time.

I would love to see a photo shop picture done of a side car on the CTX700.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words. :) I belong to the Rounder's Forum, a group of riders who ride in extreme climate conditions...as well as when the more sane riders are out too. One of them has a Ural and takes it up into the mountains in Colorado when the snow is several inches deep. There's a trip thread also about taking a Ural up to Alaska that is in progress right now.

The Ural can go just about anywhere. When you need more traction, you just flip a lever and you get the sidecar wheel engaged too.

The nice part I would think about getting a Ural, is that while it is a dated design, it is also a design that has had the bugs worked out. Any other kind of sidecar rig would be something where you'd be trying something never done before.

There are some bikes out there that are just magnets for people to want to know more about. Stop at a highway rest stop or a gas station, and someone will want to strike up a conversation with you. The Spyder Can-Am is one. The Ural is another. One looks like it is from the future, while the other looks like it is from WWII.

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
I never had experienced riding a motorcycle with a side car it must be different since there is the added weight and a third wheel. Hwo different does it feel when your taking turns? is it easier now since your not balancing on two wheels.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Making right turns will take getting used to at speed.

My thought would be change sprockets to achieve the correct final ratio to carry the added weight, But i am not sure as you would probably be exceeded the maximum weight limit of this bike.

Not sure what you would end up with

·
Registered
46 Posts
Making right turns will take getting used to at speed.

My thought would be change sprockets to achieve the correct final ratio to carry the added weight, But i am not sure as you would probably be exceeded the maximum weight limit of this bike.

Not sure what you would end up with
That sounds right a lot of weight is added, but when you add in a sprocket wouldn't you have to recalibrate the the speedometer. Sounds like a lot of work just to have a side car. I'd make the passenger just sit in the back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why not just get a bike with a side car that comes from the factory? That is a whole lot of thing to do just to throw yourself of and then have to spend extra money to have everything running right. Just doesn't make any sense. Not for the CTX700 at least.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've never ridden with a side car before, but it would be great for long distance drives and lugging along a lot of bags.

One question, does it fit a baby carriage? lol... jk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've never ridden with a side car before, but it would be great for long distance drives and lugging along a lot of bags.

One question, does it fit a baby carriage? lol... jk.
I have seen riders with sidecar transporting their pets in it. Not a bad treat for your dogs and cats if you want to go that route. Not sure about the baby carriage though you would never hear him crying ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have seen riders with sidecar transporting their pets in it. Not a bad treat for your dogs and cats if you want to go that route. Not sure about the baby carriage though you would never hear him crying ;)
haha... not sure cops would be as forgiving if they saw that. I assume it's illegal, how can it not be. Having a newborn is changing the way I look at everything. Forgive the baby talk. Back to motorcycles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
haha... not sure cops would be as forgiving if they saw that. I assume it's illegal, how can it not be. Having a newborn is changing the way I look at everything. Forgive the baby talk. Back to motorcycles.

Wow!

I was rather surprised to see this but then again the picture seems to be old. The laws were much different then today, way stricter. Not the smartest idea, If I ever saw that I would call the police just for the sake of the child's safety.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
The only bike I have see that really looked right with a sidecar was the Ural.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I didn't realize the Ural was a motorcycle and sidecar combination. Do they sell the side cars separately? Or there another company that does?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts