CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, cold (for me), windy day here so decided to put in the Honda cable to power my GPS.
After removing bags, mounting hardware and the panels to access the windshield I got into an area not previously visited. Removal of the side cowls and the right shelter. This is necessary in order to access the connecting plug and to be able to drill a mounting hole in the small storage container.
Was able to remove the side cowl. But now the side shelter.
I have the Installation instructions for the socket and harness. I also have the Honda Service Manual.
I have not been able to get the shelter off. I have it somewhat loose and I know there are three grommets that must come out of the bosses, along with snap tabs and snap fit clips.
Just haven't figured out the magic formula for getting these to release. I am reluctant to pull too hard for fear of breaking something.
I recall someone saying they had taken all this stuff off but can't find any other info.
If anyone has any insight on getting the shelter off please holler. I suspect it may have been cobraguy or billnoroville.
HELP!

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THe installation instructions for the cable is a little misleading. They just show the bolts and push clips.
The service manual shows all the fasteners I mentioned above.
The illustrations are a little strange. Guess you have to be from Japan to understand them.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did it. Pulled on the lower portion and once the first one popped out no problem.
After I get the cables installed the challenge will be to have no leftover parts after reassembly.

Reactions: dewaltman2

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the faith Cheap Ride.
I did in fact get everything back together and NO EXTRA PARTS.
Sure went back together faster than coming apart.
Maybe I'll take it apart again just for practice.

I did go for a ride also to make sure the bike still ran.
I was cold though.....it was only 56 degrees.
Oh, I'm sorry I brought that up. How thoughtless.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the faith Cheap Ride.
I did in fact get everything back together and NO EXTRA PARTS.
Sure went back together faster than coming apart.
Maybe I'll take it apart again just for practice.

I did go for a ride also to make sure the bike still ran.
Real bikers ride in 5 below temps..:p

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If that is true "real bikers" are fools.....or at least frozen.
Guess I'm a big puss.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use my old HTC ONE for gps. I dont need a data plan for it as the map is downloaded on to my SD card. The problem is that after an hour or two the battery on my phone is dead. If I get out on a ride longer then that I will be doing the same thing you just did.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll see your 56 and raise you -12 here in Monument. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts