CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son bought a 2014 CTX700N, but against my begging and pleading, he bought the slow red one. :D

How he wants side bags, but is hoping there is a less expensive option than the Honda ones.

Anyone point me in the direction of alternatives that work yet still look good?

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
.. Those red ones are the fastest.........Check out the "one size fits all bags" brackets made just for the CTX... also put "bags" in the search bar to find the 2-3 threads

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
olegoat has it right, the red are the fastest

try a search here, there are volumes of posts on bags, brackets, and install
@hondabum is quite correct. Apart from the Shad and Givi options, if one uses the bracket design developed by our long time friend and CTX Forum moderator @jfc77320, your choice for bags is effectively unlimited.

Speaking of which, we have found a vendor that who is in the process of coming out with a newer version of those brackets, (Grille Technologies) that is here in Hudson, Florida. The first run of the re-design will be available in a week or two. I'll check with them tomorrow and give everybody an update on the availablility.
:)

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
OEM is shaped to the tail section to take advantage of the most area. Any aftermarket will likely be a box. I'd spring for the Honda bags if you can afford it.
They look nice until you open them. I couldn’t fit my standard 15” laptop, or a standard 3 ring binder, in them. Curves to provide “legroom” for a passenger really cut into the available space. There is some depth to them but it’s so convoluted that it really doesn’t accommodate anything. I suppose you could stuff balled up clothing or other soft stuff in that space.

I went with the jfc bracketz and Viking hard cases. Not as pretty but definitely more utilitarian. If you want even more storage, get the Shad 36’s.

So, do you want bags to look good, or to carry stuff?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
244 Posts
Then why is he always behind me? :D
Because the truly fastest have no need to prove anything to the plodding lesser colors of bike. Only the slow are desperate to keep ahead, lest someone figures it out. ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
@hondabum is quite correct. Apart from the Shad and Givi options, if one uses the bracket design developed by our long time friend and CTX Forum moderator @jfc77320, your choice for bags is effectively unlimited.

Speaking of which, we have found a vendor that who is in the process of coming out with a newer version of those brackets, (Grille Technologies) that is here in Hudson, Florida. The first run of the re-design will be available in a week or two. I'll check with them tomorrow and give everybody an update on the availablility.
:)
As stated elsewhere, the prototype passed with flying colors and production has begun.

·
Registered
536 Posts
They look nice until you open them. I couldn’t fit my standard 15” laptop, or a standard 3 ring binder, in them. Curves to provide “legroom” for a passenger really cut into the available space. There is some depth to them but it’s so convoluted that it really doesn’t accommodate anything. I suppose you could stuff balled up clothing or other soft stuff in that space.

I went with the jfc bracketz and Viking hard cases. Not as pretty but definitely more utilitarian. If you want even more storage, get the Shad 36’s.

So, do you want bags to look good, or to carry stuff?
The OE bags can carry a Little Caesars lunch combo pizza box flat on the bottom. That's the most important part. :laugh: They will also carry a KFC bucket of chicken and all my rain gear.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I made the mistake of buying the Honda OE hardbags. They are super handy and they look good, BUT they are made for 2-up riding as they have a cutout for passenger legs which is fine if you ride 2-up. I ride solo, so the potential space is wasted, better off with any aftermarket bags. Also, the OE were $500 (I financed it, so didn't care), so I'm pretty sure anything else can be found that is suitable for a solo rider for far less money.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My tailbag holds two styrofoam dinner plates full of wings and pulled pork all the time. Side bags you have to turn everting sideways

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
On one of the old threads about luggage, someone asked what the capacity for the Viking Lamellar large bags was. I don't know who replied, but it was a picture of the right side bag filled with 12 long necks and covered in ice. Try that with the OEM bag. BTW - that pic was my motivation to get those same Viking Large Lamellar hard bags. Since then, I've traded them out for the Extra Large models. When I get the opportunity, I'll post a new pic. interesting to see how much I can actually carry in them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A less expensive option to the Honda bags are the Mutazu Universal LW Hard Saddlebags. They come in Burgundy Red which is a close match to the candy red CTX color. I learned about this option on this forum. Search Mutazu LW.

For a naked CTX700N, you will also need to install inner supports for any option you choose (Honda or off brand).

With the Mutazu bags at $200, JFC Bracketz at $130, inner supports at $80, and some mounting bolts at $10, this setup would cost around $420 as compared to the Honda brand bag setup around $810 ($80 inner supports, $170 stays, $450 bags, $110 bag panels) - almost half the cost.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would say get the shads.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts