CTX 700 Forum banner

Shuttering In High Gear

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Ruby 
#1 ·
Hi All. I'm new to the forum. I just picked up a 2014 CTX700 with manual transmission. The bike has 6900 kilometers (4300 miles) on it. On the highway it is fine all the way up to 5th gear but as soon as I go into 6th gear it shutters and vibrates quite a bit like I'm lugging it. I don't shift till I'm going at least 90 kph (56 mph). Am I doing something wrong or do I have a problem? Thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome, LC!
I cruise in 6th gear at about 50 mph (80 kph) on my 2014 CTX700 with no lugging. I can slowly roll on the throttle to speed up or hold that speed on a hill without lugging, but if I want to pass quickly I really should drop to 5th or 4th gear for that.
I cruise in 6th gear on flat ground at about 45 mph (72 kph) on my 2014 CTX700 with no lugging. If I get to a steep hill at that speed it really feels more comfortable in 5th gear. If I try to pass from at that speed it can feel like I'm lugging the engine too much.

If mine is normal, you may want to do something about yours, but there's a variety of things that might cause it. Try 90 kph in 5th gear for a mile or two, then 95, 100, and 110. It sounds a little high at 110 kph in 5th, but should be smooth and not really over redline. If it stutters in 5th at the same speed as in 6th, that could be caused by a tire out of balance, or a bubble in the tire, or screw too far from the center.
It could be several other things too, but the feel of the bike at those speeds in 5th compared to the same in 6th gives your mechanic an idea of where to start. Also try 80 kph in 6th, just to see if it's as smooth as 5th

Good luck,

#3 ·
howdy from isreal and first response after 13 weeks in the hospital after 4 strokes .
i,d vanture a suggestion that iiiiiiiyou neeed to have more rpm at that load on the engine. or you should check yor chain adjustment.
i.m gonna quit now because i,m having difficulty typing these w9rds.
all the best
ken

#5 ·
I think you need to look at your tachometer, this engine performs well around 3,000 rpm. Someone could have replaced one or more sprockets causing the engine to run slower. I may at times leave mine in 5th gear until I get passed 55 mph. If I'm in a hilly area I down shift, on roads that may be flat I shift up, but I don't like the lugging either. I can't remember exactly what my bike will do around 55 mph but I try to stay above that lower threshold while riding.
There is data concerning the chain, sprockets and performance on this forum and in the repair manual but I think you need to get accustomed to this machine before you spend a lot of time on that. Hope this helps!

#6 ·
Thank you all for the replies. I noticed in any gear other than 6th i can run between 2500-3000 rpm and the shaking is minimal and feels like a 2 cylinder, but up into 6th at that rpm and it is bad. The bike is low mileage and appears to have been looked after before I got it. The chain and sprocket look good and with good tension. Maybe this is normal for this bike but i was pretty disappointed after my first long ride on it yesterday. On the back roads it is good but on the highway in high gear it's not happy.

#7 ·
It is not normal for this bike. You should have it looked at by a good shop. I can ride all day at that speed and RPM in 6th gear with no lugging. It is as smooth as silk there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.