CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
222 Posts
....... I would personally avoid the crash bars. Yes, they offer your bike some protection. ...... it generally doesn't have any issues falling over while in motion unless you do something stupid, or have a mental lapse in judgement. .....and avoid driving faster than you should on very curvy roads in bad weather or with poor road surfaces.
Let’s be clear: NO bike - not a single one - has a problem with randomly falling over while in motion. Yes we should all practice, and avoid doing things that put us in more danger than we have to - but crashes don’t just happen to inexperienced, or experienced, riders doing dumb things.

Crashguards, like insurance, are for when bad things happen. Unlike insurance, the crashguards can (not will, but can) actually save you and your bike from serious injury/damage. Actually, they’re exactly like wearing a helmet - our helmets are to protect our head in case of an accident. They don’t prevent an accident and it’s not ok to be careless and have an accident just because you’re wearing one. Unlike a helmet, though, there’s no real downside to having crashguards. Helmets can be uncomfortable and hot and noisy and restrictive. The crashguards just sort of exist, and you probably won’t notice them while you’re riding, but you’ll be glad you have them if you need them.

One reason to not have them is cost. But again, like a helmet: the price can be high, but it can be much more expensive if you don’t have them.

The only real reason to not have them is if no one makes them for your model of bike - or if you don’t like the way your bike will look with them. At that point you’re making decisions based on personal aesthetics, and that’s ok. But not having them because you plan to be a good rider and not ever have an accident? That’s just naive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will rephrase my comment. I shouldn't have used the word "avoid". Bad word choice on my part. The various frame guards out there will provide some protection in a tip over at a stop and low-speed low-side accidents. However, damage to the bike / rider depends a lot on the specific nature of the accident. As a result, I believe good personal protection is a higher priority investment. As an aside, I actually like the aesthetic of most crash bars as it gives the bike a little bit of an ADV bike look.

·
Registered
2015 Honda 700 CTX DCT ABS
1 Posts
Hope you don't mind me asking but 1.66m with an inseam somewhere between 29-30cm. I just wondered if this is a tad short to be riding the ctx700. Any other riders this height or shorter good with the high knee and hip angles?
I have a 30" pants inseam. The seat is actually low. It's perfect for me.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I heard that Marc Marquez rides a CTX700DCT on the street.

·
Registered
2015 ctx700 with fairing
29 Posts
Hope you don't mind me asking but 1.66m with an inseam somewhere between 29-30cm. I just wondered if this is a tad short to be riding the ctx700. Any other riders this height or shorter good with the high knee and hip angles?
Hi Skywatcher, welcome to the club (that's what it feels like, so much good info here). I was wondering what year your bike and seat is. The folks here talk about two different original seats. The 2014 is further back than the rest of the years. The other year's seats place you more foward. I believe that is correct, the others here will let us know. 😁

Reactions: 350Four

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks guys done and ordered 😁. Ok so now can anyone recommend engine crash bars / sliders to protect the side of the bike should it go over please?
I just ordered a set of Crash Bars from T-Rex. I don't have them yet, but am expecting them sometime within the next two weeks, and hope they are in when I have various accessories installed on December 9th. The OEM Heated Grips, OEM 12V Accessory Socket, Ciro Phone Holder with charger, with Optional Ciro Universal Ball Mount for 7/8" to 2-1/4" Diameter Tubes (to mount low in center of my handlebars), and SHAD SH-36 Side Bags.

I can say exactly how well I like them in a couple months, but I expect I'll like them just fine. I like their look in the photos... I also got the Luggage Guards to protect my side bags from getting totally smashed up if I should wind up laying my bike down...

Steon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I just had throught about the floorboards I ordered from kuryakyn, do they support the bike if the bike tips over like the stock pegs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had throught about the floorboards I ordered from kuryakyn, do they support the bike if the bike tips over like the stock pegs?
I don't think so, I don't think they look like they'd support the bike when on its side. So those Crash Bars I ordered are doubly important... Just in case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So just so I know the stock pegs provide more protection to the side of the bike or less than normal pegs
I have no idea. I only know I laid my bike down because I have trouble kneeling, and leaned on my bike as I was going down to check my tires, and pushed my bike over. The stock pegs saved it from getting heavily damaged. I'm not sure how well non-stock, or normal, pegs would be. I just don't think the floorboard will offer much protection IF they land in such a fashion as to fold up. If they don't fold up, I imagine they'll protect it about as well as the stock peg. But I'm not going to go out and try it...

·
Registered
66 Posts
So just so I know the stock pegs provide more protection to the side of the bike or less than normal pegs
Attached are a couple photos of the Kurkayn MiniFloor Boards installed. They fold up a little as noted in photos. They will provide the bike some protection. I had to gracefully lay the bike down once at a stop as plopped my foot into a pothole and the bike shifted in that direction. The floor board and rear pannier luggage rack help keep most of the gravel / road off the fairing. I had a slight abrasion (3 pen tips) on the top corner of the fairing and that was it. The floorboard also helped in another low speed slide I had. That said, I am not sure I trust it to hold up in a more than a low speed slide as it appears its made from cast aluminum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Welcome!
Just comments; For the US (&beyond?) the '15 (& later) stock seats fit shorter inseams better (rider positioned more forward as intended) than a '14.
I've read here that our handle bar ends & perhaps the foot pegs contact the ground first in a "tip over", hopefully saving the bodywork from damage. I have the T-Rex luggage guards, which will also support the bike if dropped.
Footnote; I also opted for the (radiator) Rad Guard (from down under), a bit pricey but excellent product.
Best Wishes!;)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts