CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTX DTC w/Sweet SL220 Sidecar
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started experiencing shifting issues. Bike going into neutral at highway speeds. Just performed an ECU reset, but if that doesn’t work am tempted to replace the shift control motor. Has anyone used the shift control motor from an NC700 DTC (Honda P/N 31300-MJF-A20) Ebay (P/N 31300-KV2-631 - $81.59 and up), Honda P/N listed for the CTX700 DTC is 31300-MJF-A21.

Appreciate any comments and/or advice. I’m aware of the shift pin issue, but this approach is much easier as a start.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
I think shift pin issue would have shown itself early on since it was an assembly issue.

How many miles you got now?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have seen a few videos and threads on other forums for the NC and Africa Twin where cleaning the shift motor solved shifting issues. It’s a very simple motor so there is not much that can go wrong with it. Intermittent issues could possibly be as simple as worn brush material or corrosion interfering with brush to commutator contact. The NC motor looks physically the same as the CTX. Not sure if it uses the same wiring or plug.
Shift/Ratio Control Motor

·
Registered
750 Posts
Interesting that the bike shifts into neutral at highway speeds. Does the neutral light come on indicating that the transmission is truly in neutral and not a false neutral like the clutch disengaged and also does the gear position indicator blink with a - error bar? Might be worth checking for trouble codes with the SCS Service Connector which shorts the pins in the data link connector. You can get knock offs of it on Amazon for $10.00 or make one yourself. The Fail Safe strategy is to “hold the gear in position and not shift”.
FAIL-SAFE FUNCTION
The DCT system is provided with a fail-safe function to secure a minimum running capability even when there is trouble in the system. When the PCM detects a problem in the DCT system, the PCM stops the gearshift function, and hold the gear position. Also, the shift indicator blinks "-" to indicate the DTC.
One possibility could be a loose or bad battery terminal or a short where a millisecond loss of voltage would be like turning the key off and on again sending the transmission to reset back to neutral. Good luck with the repair.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
Glad I stuck with the none DCT model, seems I am hearing more problems with the DCT trans lately.
Not really. Honda would not be using it on Goldwing, Africa Twin and others if it were not extremely reliable.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only service was changing the steering bearings to tapered rollers and rebuilding the structs. Not even remotely related.
By the way does anyone know where I can purchase the electrical connector for the shift control motor. I removed the harness from the shift control motor to clean the contacts; however, it will not seat. It was a real bear to remove.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The only service was changing the steering bearings to tapered rollers and rebuilding the structs. Not even remotely related.
By the way does anyone know where I can purchase the electrical connector for the shift control motor. I removed the harness from the shift control motor to clean the contacts; however, it will not seat. It was a real bear to remove.
Try cycleterminal.com
Motorcycle Connectors

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:
I removed the original shift change motor and the commutator and brushes were in the worst shape I've seen in years, although it was reasonably clean, just severely grooved.
I installed the new shift change motor P/N 31300-KV2-631 and if worked like a charm. The only difference I could see was it wasn't painted black.
I have over 50 miles on the new motor and so far no glitches.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 350Four

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:
273 trouble free miles, then stuck in 3rd gear. However, this time would shift between Drive mode and Sport mode, but not out of 3rd. Stopped, shut off and restarted - back to normal.
Looks like I'll need to order a new shift pin and check that our next. Battery is relatively new and corrosion free.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
Update:
273 trouble free miles, then stuck in 3rd gear. However, this time would shift between Drive mode and Sport mode, but not out of 3rd. Stopped, shut off and restarted - back to normal.
Looks like I'll need to order a new shift pin and check that our next. Battery is relatively new and corrosion free.
Sorry to hear that didn't work.
If you are planning to do the shift pin yourself, please take lots of pics.

Reactions: 350Four

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
By the way, the shift pin P/N has been superseded 24315-HL4-000.

Did you dig into yours yet?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Did you dig into yours yet?
Not yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts