CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
Ok So I am a 140 lb rider, trying to get back to 135. I am still waiting for the AI to adjust instead of launching me from a stand still to 50 mph in 3 sec. Have to be careful how I roll on the throttle.
Going to get some wheelie bars for the bike?馃憤

Registered
Any vehicle with a regular transmission (DCT is a 'normal' tranismission with two clutches that 'pre-select' the next gear) shakes/rattles/vibrates when accelerating in a higher gear than needed because it screems for higher RPMs.

I'm 6 ft 1 in, 210 pounds, usually ride with loaded bike. Experiencing the same - highway, riding 70 mph, need to get to 85 (legal here) riding uphill in D. Unless I twist the throttle hard to force the bike to downshift, it will stay in 6 trying to accelerate. It will, slowly, producing the said rattling/vibrating effect.

Suggestion: Select Sport, downsift manually or do the hand version of a kickdown.

Perhaps the effect is more pronounced on CTX/NC range, let's face it, it utilizes a car engine (de facto a half of Honda Jazz/Fit unit) so it's neither a typical hi-revving bike engine nor the cruiser low-rpm 'rumbler'.

Registered
I have never felt this, so I tested my bike. At 60 mph, rolled on the throttle. Everything remained smooth. Slowed back down to 60 mph, and nailed the throttle. It automatically downshifted to 5th gear, so no vibration. I only weigh 130 lbs., so maybe that is one reason why I have never had this problem with my bike.

Registered
This can be experienced on any motorcycle and usually means the motorcycle is in the wrong gear. The factors that fall into play for this scenario are, tires/pressure, wind resistance, rider weight, road conditions/hills, Fuel type, oil type. Recommend a using premium fuel and a full synthetic for this engine especially if you鈥檙e keeping RPS on the high side, summer heat is another factor.
Check your tire pressure and head out on a ride in manual mode to get to know your motorcycle better specifically how it behaves at various speeds, gears and red line between shift points. Same scenario for engine braking and downshifting into lower gears. Sometimes dirty fuel injectors can be a mechanical symptom, but you鈥檇 also experience problems starting the bike, difficulty accelerating, difficulty idling and poor fuel economy.

Registered
Just remember you do not have to be in manual mode to downshift, any mode will when you hit the button under reasonable RPM's. The bike will up-shift automatically after accelerating.

Premium Member
The engine doesn't have good high end roll on power. It was designed for fuel economy. When I'm cruising at 65 on my bike and need to accelerate, I just hit the (-) paddle to drop the DCT down to 5th, and twist the throttle. It does quite well that way.

Registered
The engine doesn't have good high end roll on power. It was designed for fuel economy. When I'm cruising at 65 on my bike and need to accelerate, I just hit the (-) paddle to drop the DCT down to 5th, and twist the throttle. It does quite well that way.
You actually do not have to manually downshift. Twist the throttle aggressively, and it will downshift itself.

Registered
howdy, i'll probably sound negative, but i suggest for the smoothest shift down, neither approach as i understand the suggestions. i don't like the heavy lugging sound and feel of just nailing the throttle to downshift and waiting for the computer to realize you really do want to go. i have found the co0ordination to hit the manual downshift button while only under slight load and as it shifts i then roll the throttle on to keep it in that gear. that produces a wonderfully smooth , less stressfull experience for you and the scoot. on the long hills, and i drive where some hills are ten miles long, i just throw the right hand manual button and let it run easy in 5th all the way up the hill. if the scoot sounds and feels happy, i'm happy, as in the saying happy wife, happy life.
ken

Registered
Just remember you do not have to be in manual mode to downshift, any mode will when you hit the button under reasonable RPM's. The bike will up-shift automatically after accelerating.
Not exactly. IF you just manually downshift a gear with the downshift button, unless you significantly open the throttle the DCT will upshift after about 5 seconds. IF you are going up a hill And 2400 rpm is a happier sounding engine than 2100, If you want it to stay in the lower gear you have to switch to Manual Mode.

Steve

Registered
Some shops suck at balancing tires. Try taking off the wheels and checking them with a manual tool. Look for cupping on the tires. Mine is rock solid at all speeds in all gears.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts