CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6' 3" rider, at 275 lbs. Rider for over 50+ years of metric bikes.
Since new (660mi now) I've noticed a shake at 60mph+ in 6th gear ONLY WHEN ACCELERATING! When I try to speed up, it feels like it drops a cylinder and seems to loose power. Let off the throttle, and it smooths out. The bike starts and runs out just fine otherwise. Broken in properly, and perfect in all respects.
Has anyone else had this experience? Please refrain from the "loose weight" jokes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a similar experience. There is another post discussing motor vibration in 6th gear. Vibration in 6th gear for 12,000 miles on my CTX700n.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a similar experience. There is another post discussing motor vibration in 6th gear. Vibration in 6th gear for 12,000 miles on my CTX700n.
So after reading the forum posts, There's no solution except to downshift. Ridiculous! I've owned a plethora of metric bikes and never experienced anything like this.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Is the shake directed at the front or back. If the front, consider alignment or bad tire. Make sure wheel has to play side to side in it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sixth gear is for mileage, if you want more power on hills downshift. You do not have to be in manual mode, just hit the downshift button. An alternative would be to use sport mode instead of drive since the shift points into sixth are much higher. This is probably happening on hills since this motor has a narrow power band. That's why it gets great mpg

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
howdy, i'll respond directly to your statement that under load , it appears to run rough. generally, that would indicate a bad plug or plug wire. it could be that the plug wire is not seated properly on the plug?
of course, it could be something else but starting there would be sensible.
ken

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have had my CTX DCT about 6 months (purchased used). No matter how I make it happen, it does feel like it is shaking when you accelerate in 6th gear. No offense, but with your weight and 6th gear at 60 mph, I am not surprised at the shake. Like somebody said, it is geared for mileage. It does not even seem to be necessarily an rpm thing. Not sure if you have a manual or DCT, but either way, 5th gear is your answer. Either shift the manual or use Sport mode on DCT. Luckily, with the sport mode and level or downhill road, even in sport it will change to 6th gear at about 62mph. It is a fantastic bike, but it does indeed take some getting used to it's quirks. I finally made peace with mine when I said "It does everything right 95% of the time and the other 5% it is still right, just not the way I would have done it".

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think this is normal, nothing wrong with the bike but it may take a while to become accustomed to that sensation. I always ride in "Sport" mode unless I can maintain 55mph or greater (open highway). Cannot explain why Honda designed a bike this way but I'm sure there is a reason. Try to maintain about 3,000 RPM, while cruising, and slowly increase throttle when you want more speed. You may get a greater amount of torque with lower gears while getting bike up to speed but you will feel the vibration more and more at or near cruising speed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Find a flat stretch at 60 and see if it does it and then find a down hill section. If it still does it you may have a mechanical problem and it is not an issue of load on the engine. Attached is the data for a DCT but the gearing is close to a standard shift. Incrementally gear to gear you can see that there is a 10 mph diff but 5th to 6th is quite substantial. 6th is overdrive and in like my Toyota 4 cyl when I floor it on the interstate to pass it drops down a gear. This is theoretical data that doesn’t take into account wind resistance and weight. At red line 6250 the bike will do 67.1 in 3rd ,81.3 in 4th and 94.4 in 5th in a perfect world. For a basically a 650CC engine I think delivering the fuel economy it does with this performance is outstanding.

I would challenge you to take the bike out and ride it like you stole it. Print out the chart and tape it to the gas tank, take it out to the interstate and see where it tops out at redline with your weight and wind resistance in each gear. I have ridden with people that have never come close to redline on their bike thinking it would hurt it. Use the machine as designed and anything up to redline is fair game. If your looking for roll on torque in 6th gear over 60MPH you need a bigger engine. My riding area is totally flat so I have never had the problem you express.
Gearing Commander - Motorcycle Speed and Drive Train Calculator v7

·
Registered
491 Posts
No, but you would probably come closer to reaching it more than anyone here based on your height and weight. It’s just a mathematical calculation. It doesn’t take into account the drag generated by the weight of the bike or you. The friction of the tires and drive train and also wind resistance generated by you and the bike. Rebel13 says 124 MPH with the wheel off the ground.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
90 Posts
6' 3" rider, at 275 lbs. I've noticed a shake at 60mph+ in 6th gear ONLY WHEN ACCELERATING!
Far be it from me to make weight jokes. I’m 6’ and hovering around 300 these days - and that’s why I’m responding. I’m heavier, but definitely don’t experience what you describe. I don’t have a solution, but to me it sounds like a 6th gear problem. I suppose if you don’t have or want to spend the money, you can just use S mode and Manual and stay in 5th to solve the problem. (This falls under the snarky doctor answer to “it hurts when I do this, doc!” “Then don’t do that! That’s $200, pay the nurse on your way out.”) Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You could go to a dyno shop and see if it shakes in 6th. If it doesn't that would eliminate gear problems, and the problem would then be tires, alignment, or something mechanical.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Has anyone else had this experience?
Yep, every time I ride. The CTX (DCT model - I don’t have experience with the manual model) seems to be very prone to substantial vibration when “lugging” the engine. Large throttle opening and load at a low RPM will cause it to vibrate. I was always taught that this was bad for the connecting rods and crankshaft bearings but once upon a time you were foolish to go more than 3k between oil changes so maybe this isn’t a problem any more. The Honda engineers programmed the shift points so I assume this isn’t hurting the bike. There is a hill I go up every time I ride, tight right hand turn leading into a steep uphill and every time I tap the Manual switch and then downshift to 5th until I get the speed back up then tap the Automatic switch. I can also make it lug in lower gears but nowhere near as bad as 6th.

I expect the reason you never had this problem with other metric bikes is because they didn’t vibrate when lugging and more so that you manually shifted to keep the RPMs higher. Supposedly the DCT “learns” your riding habits and modifies the shift points but ive seen no evidence of this and I’ve been going up this same hill for years.

If I am on windy, tight turn, mountain roads I will switch to Sport mode but that drops down two gears instead of one that would usually be optimal. Wish we had 4 riding modes like the Gold Wing instead of 2.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep, every time I ride. The CTX (DCT model - I don’t have experience with the manual model) seems to be very prone to substantial vibration when “lugging” the engine. Large throttle opening and load at a low RPM will cause it to vibrate. I was always taught that this was bad for the connecting rods and crankshaft bearings but once upon a time you were foolish to go more than 3k between oil changes so maybe this isn’t a problem any more. The Honda engineers programmed the shift points so I assume this isn’t hurting the bike. There is a hill I go up every time I ride, tight right hand turn leading into a steep uphill and every time I tap the Manual switch and then downshift to 5th until I get the speed back up then tap the Automatic switch. I can also make it lug in lower gears but nowhere near as bad as 6th.

I expect the reason you never had this problem with other metric bikes is because they didn’t vibrate when lugging and more so that you manually shifted to keep the RPMs higher. Supposedly the DCT “learns” your riding habits and modifies the shift points but ive seen no evidence of this and I’ve been going up this same hill for years.

If I am on windy, tight turn, mountain roads I will switch to Sport mode but that drops down two gears instead of one that would usually be optimal. Wish we had 4 riding modes like the Gold Wing instead of 2.
I have the manual version of the CTX. I can confirm if you are in 6th gear and let your speed drop to 37-39 mph region the engine will lug like a "cha-chung, cha-chung, cha-chung" like its almost about ready to stall. This can feel like the motorcycle is shaking. You either speed up or drop a gear.

The odd part is page 35 of the CTX700 suggests the recommended downshift speed from 6th to 5th is 28 mph (45 km/h), although the manual states the recommended upshift speed is 37 mph (60 km/h). Similar to the DCT you can also sometimes get the manual version to lug in lower gears - but I have only experienced this going really slow in the wrong gear will going uphill a couple times.

In any event try to avoid lugging the engine. If done frequently you can damage the engine / transmission.

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I had a Shadow the recommended speeds for shifting were so low it just made me laugh. Must have been determined by a 140lb test rider on a perfectly flat test track.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
When I had a Shadow the recommended speeds for shifting were so low it just made me laugh. Must have been determined by a 140lb test rider on a perfectly flat test track.
Ok So I am a 140 lb rider, trying to get back to 135. I am still waiting for the AI to adjust instead of launching me from a stand still to 50 mph in 3 sec. Have to be careful how I roll on the throttle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts