CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For all of us looking for a tank bag for the Honda CTX700, the Shad SL23 is an elegant solution that works. It is a well-made, high quality 14-23L tank bag that comes with a universal base mount, rain cover and removable shoulder strap. It conforms beautifully to the CTX700's tank panels and the universal base attaches securely to the front top and rear top frame tubes. The tank bag in turn attaches to the base via four quick-release buckles with adjustable straps. This design makes it a breeze to refuel. Just detach the front of the tank bag from the base by releasing the two front buckles. Flip the bag back over itself to rest on the seat. Release the front right base buckle and loosen the strap to provide enough slack to slide the universal base over to the left allowing clear access to the gas cap for refueling. Repeat the process in reverse and you're back on the road. And speaking of being on the road, it is super stable and secure at highway speeds. Here are some pictures to show how I installed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Is there enough clearance on the bars in full lock slow speed turn? According to Shad, the bag is 10" wide. Looks like a great option and I've been looking for a tank bag that both fits and is large enough to be somewhat useful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Dave. Great question! Yes, the Shad SL23 tank bag allows full-lock slow speed turns. Here is another picture that demonstrates this clearly. You'll notice that the Nemo 2 type oiler does touch the side of the bag, but it doesn't constrain a full-lock turn. The bag will give a little and the universal base will give a little as well if necessary.

On a side note, the Shad SB23 would work as well. I originally ordered that one from Amazon; however, they mistakenly sent me the Shad SL23. I actually liked it more, so I decided to keep it. The Shad SL23 has retro-reflective logos and piping for added nighttime visibility. The clear top on the Shad SL23 is also touch-sensitive making it a convenient and waterproof place to store my phone, tablet or GPS device.

For more information and technical specs about the Shad SL23, here is a direct link to Shad's web page: Touring Bags - Shad - Engineered for riding

Attachments

Reactions: PA Dave

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks Mitch! As I said, I've been searching for a tank bag to fit the CTX and everything I found was either pathetically small or overly expensive...and still too small. Or only magnetic. This appears to be a good basic bag that will suit my needs for a little easily accessible extra space when moto/flyfishing/camping. I just placed my order on the Shad website. Interestingly, I could not find this bag on Revzilla or Amazon, so I have to pay shipping but it's still within reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're very welcome, Dave! You're going to really love this tank bag. Expanded, it will hold a full-size helmet, so lots of room. Amazon sells the Shad SB23 and it shows in-stock at this time for $109.00 USD. It was the one I had originally ordered, but Amazon sent me the Shad SL23 by mistake. I'm really glad they did. Sometimes, a mistake turns out to be better than your original plan!

Reactions: PA Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Viggen! Welcome to the forum. This Shad tank bag does not have a cup holder, but it will easily carry sealed beverages. It expands large enough to hold a full face helmet. It's a really awesome piece of kit!

Reactions: viggen

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well, I placed my order on Feb 24th and was told it was on back order and would ship in about two weeks. As we all know, the world blew up and went into lockdown. I received an occasional email with hopeful updates and I decided to hang tough and wait it out. At looooong last the UPS truck delivered my bag. The bag feels substantial, looks really nice, and is roomier than I expected. It's too hot out to go out to the shed to fit it onto the bike, but I did take it out and put it into place to see if it fits. It is really, really going to be a snug fit as far as the bar ends go, but it will fit. I should be able to easily see my phone in the X-Grip although I think that it will not be ideal if the bag is expanded to 23 liters. In that case the phone can move into the map sleeve.

I do have one criticism...the supplied directions are pretty much useless. I know I could figure out a way to attach it eventually, but I have to give a huge thank you to MERKAVA for the photos. (y)

·
Registered
244 Posts
To follow up, I mounted the bag about a week ago after washing the bike. I did it a little differently for MERKAVA and it seems fine. This way does not require even removing the seat. Getting gas was not a problem at all, just ads a minute or so to the process. The bag is pretty huge but fits perfectly between the bars. I am very pleased. I can't wait to use it camping.

20200801_125804.jpg 20200801_125819.jpg 20200801_125834.jpg 20200801_125904.jpg

I would recommend this bag. It does really show how faded my Givi bags are though. They have served well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts