CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 CTX700. I bought a 2014 seat for it last year because the 2015 seat was not cuttin' it.
Two months ago I bout a Seth Laam seat from one of our members who did not need it any longer.
The thing was virtually brand new.
Well I had the first chance to ride on it this last week and it is absolutely terrific.
And today my wife got her first ride with the new Seth Laam, and she could not stop praising it.
The fit and finish and comfort is just incredible.
So, the question I have is this:
Honda prides itself on its high level of engineering. The Honda products are always at the top of whatever category Hondas wants to enter. Whether it is cars, motorcycles, generators, atv's, marine engines.
Honda is always at or near the top of whatever Honda wants to do.
So why is the seat on the CTX700 so universally BAD?!!??
How is it that all these seat makers can take the Honda pan and improve it so much!
Seth Laam, Corbin and a host of others make such marked improvements to the Honda seat.
Why can't Honda, the maker of the DCT and other great technology, make a good seat?
You know they can. So why don't they?

Just venting here, but doesn't anyone else wonder, also?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, you REALLY drink the Honda Kool-Aid, eh?
Honda is just another business. Businesses are formed to produce profits. If Honda can sell a CTX with the seat we have without issue, they aren't going to change it.
It appears the CTX700 was designed as a "budget touring bike" and as such, corners were cut where Honda felt necessary to keep the price low.
Many companies have the CAPABILITY of doing amazing things, but unless they're profitable or legally necessary, they rarely come to light.
Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nope! No Kool Aid here.
But if Honda wanted to make the DCT version with Anti Lock Brakes, then they certainly could have added a better seat.
And then, by extension, the seat would become the standard, as DCT and Anti Lock has become the standard.
That is, until they cancelled the CTX all together.
And Honda has some great bikes with very good seats.
I think you might be right when you say they just Cheaped Out on the seat. But it really does amaze me that this Seth Laam seat is so much better. Not a little better, or a tad more comfortable, or slightly better supporting,
but this thing is Incredibly Better!
I get it when someone wants to change the shocks for a different ride for their riding style, or change the exhaust.
These are things many bikers will change almost automatically to put their own "Signature" on a bike.
But the seat is something I would have thought Honda could do better.

and that is all I have to say about that!

·
Registered
93 Posts
The CTX was built to a price point so the seat and suspension were cost cutters. Don't know if the $11,500 CTX would sell but I think they missed the mark by not offering a tour package that already included floorboards, tall windshield and panniers. Not to mention a center stand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since 2007, I have bought 5 new bikes; different makes, models, manufacturers....all the seats are horrible...My Kawasaki klx250sf (made for the street) is so bad, I think a 2x4 would be a better option. In regards to the seats, everyone has a different back side, and what works for one, will not work for another. On the NC700 forum, there are 1-2 guys who dont have issues with the nc700/750 seats, but all others do and find 'fixes' or replacement seats. My suzuki C50 seat wasnt comfortable so I bought a Mustang seat for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2015 CTX700. I bought a 2014 seat for it last year because the 2015 seat was not cuttin' it.
Two months ago I bout a Seth Laam seat from one of our members who did not need it any longer.
The thing was virtually brand new.
Well I had the first chance to ride on it this last week and it is absolutely terrific.
And today my wife got her first ride with the new Seth Laam, and she could not stop praising it.
The fit and finish and comfort is just incredible.
So, the question I have is this:
Honda prides itself on its high level of engineering. The Honda products are always at the top of whatever category Hondas wants to enter. Whether it is cars, motorcycles, generators, atv's, marine engines.
Honda is always at or near the top of whatever Honda wants to do.
So why is the seat on the CTX700 so universally BAD?!!??
How is it that all these seat makers can take the Honda pan and improve it so much!
Seth Laam, Corbin and a host of others make such marked improvements to the Honda seat.
Why can't Honda, the maker of the DCT and other great technology, make a good seat?
You know they can. So why don't they?

Just venting here, but doesn't anyone else wonder, also?
If you are planing on selling the 2014 seat I might be interested. Please contact me!!!!

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
The "board" (seat) on my first "new" bike ('76 Yamaha XS650) was awful. Quality of seats and suspension components on all of my bikes since then, seem to have been made at a "price point", in order to meet an overall price goal.
I've had "off the shelf" Corbin, Saddlemen and Sargent aftermarket seats which except for the Corbin (too firm), were an improvement. With the 14 CTX seat replacing my '15 seat, I've been satisfied as I believe the quality of foam is better than average for the bike's price. For any higher mileage days I will add my Airhawk seat pad. Seth Laam is apparently "a cut above".

·
Registered
19 Posts
The "board" (seat) on my first "new" bike ('76 Yamaha XS650) was awful. Quality of seats and suspension components on all of my bikes since then, seem to have been made at a "price point", in order to meet an overall price goal.
I've had "off the shelf" Corbin, Saddlemen and Sargent aftermarket seats which except for the Corbin (too firm), were an improvement. With the 14 CTX seat replacing my '15 seat, I've been satisfied as I believe the quality of foam is better than average for the bike's price. For any higher mileage days I will add my Airhawk seat pad. Seth Laam is apparently "a cut above".
Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts