CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Been awhile since I have been on here but needing some help. For those who don't know me I have been drag (bracket) racing a 2014 DCT model for 2 seasons now. On paper this bike should be deadly consistent, injected, auto clutch/trans etc, etc. It is not!!! The bike picks up and slows down over half a second throughout the day (not progressively I might add). Makes it REALLY difficult to dial for each round. I did add a water temp gauge to make sure the engine/water temp is the same for each round thinking that might help. The bike only has 400 miles on it as it has spent it's entire life on the track a 1/4 mile at a time. Not sure how the "self learning" ecm works on these but I'm wondering if that might be the issue. How many miles does it take for the ecm to "learn" and settle in? Would changing the ecm with one that has a couple thousand miles help? Any electronic gurus know how to lock it into closed loop mode? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
865 Posts
No actual information for you but some thoughts I have....

New ECM would essentially start you all over at zero since it would have to learn your riding style from zero.
Any battery disconnect I would expect to "reset" the ECM to factory settings. In my head, this would make sense for Honda to do to "protect" the bike...
Perhaps a nice ride utilizing every possible highway on ramp would provide enough WOT "learning" cycles?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
howdy, i think caver there has an idea and that would be disconnect and reconnect the ecm before each race to reset back to the same original set points?
ken

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you could ask a Honda engineer he might be impressed that it’s consistently only a ½ second difference. It might be that with all of the variable inputs it gets from the sensors the PCM uses to decide when to shift that is the best consistency you can get out of the DCT in auto shift mode. I think if you put a racing tach on it and use the shift paddles to precisely shift at the correct RPM at peak torque and or HP you may get more consistent runs. Oil temp may be more important than water temp. The bike has an EOT or engine oil temp sensor that reports to the PCM. Oil temp and viscosity is important to the operation of the DCT. For instance to do a clutch initialization procedure the service manual says “Warm up the engine to the normal operating temperature (engine oil temperature: 50 - 110°C/122 - 230°F) and stop it” page 12-31 service manual. The procedure doesn’t work unless the oil temp is first satisfied.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a shift light coming in today to wire up on it. I guess my thoughts were similar. I tried it manual mode last weekend without much success. I'm convinced this combo will win races once I get it figured out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’ve noticed a change after 9k miles, two oil chances and tires replacement later. It’s seems like the CPU auto corrected and now the bike is lagging. It runs different on different days and for reasons I can’t understand, I use the same gas and oil. I haven’t been able to locate answers here because folks don’t ride the same? I’ve tried training my bike through manual mode as well Sport mode with intervention shifts up/down to override what the computer was doing when I didn’t want it done. If you figure it out Post a thread as a follow up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When the CTX first arrived, the question of it learning was debated often. I think it is the language that creates confusion. It does not learn; it calculates. There is a distinct difference. There are five sensors from which it draws the variables to calculate and, subsequently, adjust timing, gears, etc. etc. Any perceived difference in behavior by us (humans) merely underscores that we are not as discriminating as the sensors and ECM of the bike. The ECM has no way to have more than one calculated results from identical sensor inputs. The calculation algorithms are hard and never change. For some of us this has an eery similarity to marriage. :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
When I first got the DCT I was disappointed in D mode that It would lug around small towns at 25 mph or less. Over time I now use nothing but D mode for idling around small towns so did it learn or did I learn to give it the input that it needed to move smoothly. I agree with Danfelix. It has not adapted to me but I have adapted it .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Correction: In post #10 I said there were five sensors used in engine calculations. I looked at my notes from six years ago (yikes! 6 years!) and there are four inputs told to me by the tech. They are: throttle position, air temp, oxygen, and engine rpm. The warning systems have more sensors but these four are used in the ECM/PCM calculations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts