CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my seat really doesn't want to come off. I turn the key, and I don't think it's catching.

Short term, this isn't really a big deal. Long term...I kinda wanna tend my battery since it's -5 out and I probably can't ride for at least another week.

I'll alert the dealership when I go back for my service, but....how difficult should it really be?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Turn the key, grab the back of the seat and pull up and back. Not difficult but does take a little bit of oomph to release.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Little bugger won't come loose. It's due to warm up this weekend so maybe I can give it a whirl, could just be really cold!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I need to apologize. Its actually back and then up. The seat has 2 hooks attached about in the middle of the seat that catch 2 frame hoops. The seat needs to slide backwards about 1/2-3/4 of an inch to release from the hooks. The locking mechanism is located at the very rear of the seat. It is activated by a cable attached to the key mechanism. The cable or locking mechanism could be frozen.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
tuck you fingers under the rear most part of the seat and as you turn the lock you should feel it release and be able to lift the back but stop after about a 1/4 of an inch up. Then hold it up with one hand so it does not drop back down into the lock. now take your other and and firmly strike or push the middle of the seat down slightly and toward the rear of the bike to slide the two hooks on the bottom of the seat out of their tabs in the frame. Then lift the seat off.

hope this helps

·
Registered
975 Posts
tuck you fingers under the rear most part of the seat and as you turn the lock you should feel it release and be able to lift the back but stop after about a 1/4 of an inch up. Then hold it up with one hand so it does not drop back down into the lock. now take your other and and firmly strike or push the middle of the seat down slightly and toward the rear of the bike to slide the two hooks on the bottom of the seat out of their tabs in the frame. Then lift the seat off.

hope this helps
Perfect instructions! It's kind of tricky but easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try it! Thanks! Overnight temps were -18 here in Denver, so I'll wait. I've shattered metal and plastic at those temps trying to force something. I'm sure the brand new battery can hold on another day :p

·
Premium Member
185 Posts

hope this helps
Worked for me.
Easy peasy!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I need to apologize. Its actually back and then up. The seat has 2 hooks attached about in the middle of the seat that catch 2 frame hoops. The seat needs to slide backwards about 1/2-3/4 of an inch to release from the hooks. The locking mechanism is located at the very rear of the seat. It is activated by a cable attached to the key mechanism. The cable or locking mechanism could be frozen.
Thanks for the clear description. I finally got around to getting in there...and couldn't figure it out. quick search, and bob's your uncle

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same scare last weekend....had to walk away from the bike for a minute then tried it again...easy stuff.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
The seat is definitely annoying but once you get the hang of it is easy to remove. Luckily my dealer showed me prior to taking the bike home. I would have had the same question

·
Registered
216 Posts

hope this helps
After struggling for several minutes (actually quite a while) and getting more and more frustrated at trying to remove the seat, I finally searched the forum for a solution. THANKS to this bit of advice, the seat came off easily. It's all in knowing the technique! Thanks to Billnoroville !

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem. I could get it off but it took some work. Finally got fed up and started looking at the mechanism. I noticed the latch I was having trouble with leaned back more than the easy latch. Straighten it up like the easy one and now it comes off like butter. Simple fix.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So, my seat really doesn't want to come off. I turn the key, and I don't think it's catching.

Short term, this isn't really a big deal. Long term...I kinda wanna tend my battery since it's -5 out and I probably can't ride for at least another week.

I'll alert the dealership when I go back for my service, but....how difficult should it really be?
I installed a battery tender so that I don't have to remove the seat. I ran the long tender connection from the battery down and along the inner left side of the bike so it resides just in the slanted opening several inches in front of the left rear foot peg. It took some patience to snake everything through, but it fits. Takes me 5 seconds to connect the tender after riding. When I'm ready to ride again, I disconnect and snug the covered ends of the connector back up into the opening.

P1000841.jpg

Reactions: gypsy and Kfrill

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in seat hell. I read these directions and can not for the life of me get it. Been going at it for days. What is the backup plan? I cant fix a thing on this bike without getting the seat off first.

·
Super Moderator
3,263 Posts
I am in seat hell. I read these directions and can not for the life of me get it. Been going at it for days. What is the backup plan? I cant fix a thing on this bike without getting the seat off first.
Here is what I had to do sometimes on one of the several seats I've had. Have someone press down & then pull up on the passenger's seat while you turn the key. Worked for me.:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts