CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any CTX700 owner have tips on removing the seat? I was able to do this when I picked the bike up but unable to do so now. I don't want to break anything! Thanks.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Pretty simple really.
I assume you have looked in the owner's manual and know you need the key to be inserted into the lock that's located just above the left rear turnsignal.
Turning the key releases the latch. You can see and feel the rear of the seat rising up slightly.
You must pull the seat to the rear to disengage it from the front and two side retainers. Then it simply lifts off.

Reactions: ironsheiky

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was assuming it would be similar to my Helix seat, and tried to pull it from the rear.

little did I know.....pull back TOWARD the rear.

·
Registered
925 Posts
How difficult to reinstall the seat?

I'm curious about this as I understand there is a bit of underseat storage: I'm thinking about storing such things as my insurance card there (in a sealed sandwich baggie).

Thanks,

... Lennie

·
Registered
273 Posts
The seat came easy to me, it was the gas cap that drove me a little crazy (don't really know why) until I got used to it. But Lennie there is better storage above the gas cap, a little compartment, the dealer can show you when you get your bike. I put my paperwork, keys, glasses, garage remote in there when I go out.

·
Registered
925 Posts
The seat came easy to me, it was the gas cap that drove me a little crazy (don't really know why) until I got used to it. But Lennie there is better storage above the gas cap, a little compartment, the dealer can show you when you get your bike. I put my paperwork, keys, glasses, garage remote in there when I go out.
That compartment you're referring to is interesting... small like opening, but goes kind of deep to either side. I was thinking, if something small was placed in there, I wondered how difficult it would be to retrieve it.

The only thing I would have liked having for the main "door" would be a lock, similar to that on the NC700X.

Is the gas cap difficult to remove or get to? Or is it one where the key goes in, unlocks the cap and the key remains attached until it's reinstalled?

Thank you for the very helpful information!

... Lennie

·
Registered
842 Posts
Key stays in the gas cap until you push it back down, then it changes position so you can remove it.

That storage compartment holds a riding shirt, if you work the arms down each side and have the body part rolled up, you can work one in easily. I wouldn't put the registration in there...

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

·
Registered
925 Posts
Key stays in the gas cap until you push it back down, then it changes position so you can remove it.

That storage compartment holds a riding shirt, if you work the arms down each side and have the body part rolled up, you can work one in easily. I wouldn't put the registration in there...

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f
Thanks ET.. In ages gone by I kept my insurance material in a sandwich baggie, and usually tucked under the seat. Probably do the same here - in a baggie, taped under the seat.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Its not necessary to tape. The CTX has a small spot designed for a small baggie under the seat to keep the owners manual and other folded paperwork.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Has any CTX700 owner have tips on removing the seat? I was able to do this when I picked the bike up but unable to do so now. I don't want to break anything! Thanks.
Unless i've grown tentacles to offset the lack of 4 extra arms i've no idea either, i have to keep the **** key twisted while somehow pulling back with the other arm that doesnt have anything to grab onto.. This seat lock design is a joke at best and a bad one. Even the dealer had trouble removing it when i asked him to demonstrate it, since then i've had no luck removing it at all.:mad:

Nevermind, just figured it now:
10 more tries and it got done. Pull up on the Aft portion of the seat and pull to the Aft of the bike (aircraft & sailing terms i know).

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yep the trick is to turn the key and get the rear of the seat to pop up slightly, then you can let the key go and use both hands if you wish to pull the seat rearwards and lift it up. I had the dealer show me when I picked up the CTX. One of the service guys came in and showed the salesman and I how to do it. Neither of us could figure it out at first. Personally, I consider it tricky and what is hard for me is putting it on when in the dark. Hard to engage those hooks when you can't see. I carry a small LED light in the front storage compartment to help.

Jack

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I've had no trouble at all. Don't even hear it op when I turn the lock, but it's free. I have the saddlebags over the pillion, as well as a top bag and the seat backrest and rack, and so it's a bit harder to maneuver the seat out, but not by much. Just a bit less wiggle room. In my set up I have to finagle it into position because of that seat back to get the latches lined up.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Yes, the seat and the gas cap have both given me anxiety!!!!
Both the seat and gas cap are easy to remove.

To remove the seat, slip your fingers under the back of the seat and then turn the key. The seat will unlock. Lift up slightly and pull back. Do not press down or the seat will lock again. To install the seat, center the front of the seat with the front tab and pull back slightly. Lower the seat and center the back. Push forward to engage the hooks and then press straight down to lock it.

To unlock the gas cap, insert the key and turn. The gas cap will unlock and can be easily removed. Leave the key alone. To replace, insert the gas cap into the filler tube with the arrow pointing towards the front. Don't touch the key or try to turn. Place a thumb on each side of the cap and press down. The cap will lock and the key will turn all by itself to the closed/locked position. You can then remove the key.

When filling the tank with gas, place the fuel cap on its side in the hand recess used to open the cargo/fuel access. The bottom of the gas cap should face forward and the key should rest on the covey access cover door.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts