CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I've just completed my latest mod - a seat bolster for short-legged riders (like me). With my feet on the pegs, my backside doesn't reach the hump in the standard seat. That means that I can't fully relax my arms and back. I decided to do something about it:

The strap holds the bolster in position, and it is bolted to the underside of the seat. The whole thing can be removed easily.

I made the bolster from 10mm layers of EVA foam stuck together. Here's what the bottom of it looked like prior to shaping (with a disc grinder):

After shaping, I gave the bolster to a local motor trimmer to make the cover.

I'm pretty happy with the result.

Gonzo

·
Registered
878 Posts
WELL DONE, Gonzo!!

Reactions: Ruby and GonzoB

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
That looks very nice. Does it give you tailbone support? That is what would bother me when I rode my bike before the Corbin. Great idea.

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
594 Posts
Looks great!

Funny...that's exactly the kind of seat hump many PCX 150 owners have removed from their seats for various reasons. (I never had a problem with it; taller riders hated it.) One watch-out: be careful if it rains...water will gather under that hump, then when you sit down, well, you'll get a wet butt.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Looks great!

Funny...that's exactly the kind of seat hump many PCX 150 owners have removed from their seats for various reasons.
Same for Burgman riders. :)

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your kind words. I'll need a bigger helmet soon...

I'm off on a 4000km trip to Queensland over the next week or so, and I wanted to get it finished before I left. I'm sure it can be improved yet, but I won't know until I live with it for a while.

I learnt a lot about building a seat. The next one will be better.

Gonzo

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, 3500km later (2200mi), I have to say that the bolster works very well. No sore back or arms. I finally realised what a benefit all you "normal" sized people get from the standard seat! The bolster only moves the hump forward about 50mm (2") but for me it really does make a difference.

Gonzo

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Gonzo, I am very impressed with your ingenuity! I wonder if there would be a marketplace for those if other shorter riders would want one....hmmm. "The Gonzo Seat Bolster". Has a nice ring to it! Your work looks very professional. Well done. :)

Reactions: GonzoB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Gonzo im thinking about this Bike,Im 1.64cm so im wondering if I ll need this

Hi all.

I've just completed my latest mod - a seat bolster for short-legged riders (like me). With my feet on the pegs, my backside doesn't reach the hump in the standard seat. That means that I can't fully relax my arms and back. I decided to do something about it:

The strap holds the bolster in position, and it is bolted to the underside of the seat. The whole thing can be removed easily.

I made the bolster from 10mm layers of EVA foam stuck together. Here's what the bottom of it looked like prior to shaping (with a disc grinder):

Gonzo
Hi Gonzo im thinking about this Bike,Im 1.64cm so im wondering if I ll need this sort of accesory, if you dont mind how tall are you?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Juan. Welcome to the forum.

1.64cm is pretty small. 1.64m is much bigger (164cm). I'm 163cm.

Regarding the bike, it's a great height for me. the major issue with the bike is its suspension. About half of the travel is used up when you just sit on the bike, so I've jacked up the shock with a spacer (which made the bike higher and gave more usable travel), and then lengthened the swing-arm link to bring it back to the normal height. As a result of those mods I had to shorten the centrestand legs.

Regarding the bolster, I've done 6500km with the bolster on it now and it's excellent. Half of that was with my wife on the back, and it didn't get in the way of her legs. It's really much more comfortable for me. I suspect that riders of average height don't have a problem, because their longer arms and legs enable their backsides reach the hump in the standard seat.

See my signature for links to the various mods I've done.

Gonzo.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi all.

Gonzo
great job...I would love to buy one from you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts