CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all! New here, coming from the Raleigh area. I only recently began enjoying life on two wheels, taking the MSF course with my wife just over a year ago. We both grasped the basic skills involved in riding a manual transmission motorcycle, at least enough to pass the course and get our endorsement. However, we found that we enjoyed the experience of riding more so than the technical aspects of shifting gears and whatnot, and neither of us are gearheads by any stretch. So, we found ourselves a couple of Kymco scooters (hers a 2018 Like 200i, mine a 2013 Super 8 150) and have just been enjoying riding and building our confidence on the streets and in traffic. Because I bought my scooter used, and it lacks fuel injection, it's a little finicky. I am feeling like I'm ready to graduate to something a bit nicer, more reliable, and more motorcycle-ish (but without the need to shift gears). Through my research, I discovered the CTX700n w/DCT and am hoping it will be the answer. I've watched every video and read every article I can find about them.

I'm wondering if anyone here made the jump from a less powerful scooter to the CTX700n w/ DCT, and what that was like.
Sorry this was so long, but thanks for reading and for any insights you can offer.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Welcome!

The best advice I can give is to find one and test ride it. For me the CTX just felt right when I first sat on it. After a test ride, I was sold. The CTX has a very low CG and handles like a much smaller bike.

The DCT is icing on the cake.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree with Tleventry. There are certain differences between the two platforms that are absolutes (e.g. power, handling characteristics). But the experience of transitioning from one to the other requires a very subjective evaluation. We have two 2018 Kymco Like 150Is in the family (great scoot BTW). Rides fine, acceptable acceleration, pretty good adjustable suspension, surprisingly good handling. It's awesome around town at 25 to 45 MPH. But, my wife's CTX is far more comfortable, confident, planted, and in my opinion, it is safer to operate. I cannot recall anyone transitioning from a scooter (mini or maxi) to the CTX platform expressing anything other than satisfaction. I am not professing to be the most experienced rider here, but what I can tell you is that the CTX is far and away one of the easiest bikes there is to ride. I would argue it is actually easier to ride than a scooter with the DCT option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, all! New here, coming from the Raleigh area. I only recently began enjoying life on two wheels, taking the MSF course with my wife just over a year ago. We both grasped the basic skills involved in riding a manual transmission motorcycle, at least enough to pass the course and get our endorsement. However, we found that we enjoyed the experience of riding more so than the technical aspects of shifting gears and whatnot, and neither of us are gearheads by any stretch. So, we found ourselves a couple of Kymco scooters (hers a 2018 Like 200i, mine a 2013 Super 8 150) and have just been enjoying riding and building our confidence on the streets and in traffic. Because I bought my scooter used, and it lacks fuel injection, it's a little finicky. I am feeling like I'm ready to graduate to something a bit nicer, more reliable, and more motorcycle-ish (but without the need to shift gears). Through my research, I discovered the CTX700n w/DCT and am hoping it will be the answer. I've watched every video and read every article I can find about them.

I'm wondering if anyone here made the jump from a less powerful scooter to the CTX700n w/ DCT, and what that was like.
Sorry this was so long, but thanks for reading and for any insights you can offer.
The CTX would be a lot more powerful than your scooter as I'm sure you know. Driving it won't be as easy, but close. The CTX is about twice as heavy so you'd have to get used to that. The gears though would be about the same. When you set the CTX to either D or S mode, you don't have to do anything. Just twist & go. I have driven a motorcycle with a CVT (similar to the transmission in your scooter). That motorcycle is a Ridley & has a 750cc engine. Compared to that, the CTX has more power in the lower gears. Guessing you'll notice the CTX is more powerful overall but especially in the lower gears.
If you want to drive a CTX with DCT, Baker Motorsports in Fayetteville has one for sale. I'd let you drive mine, but I just had an accident. I still have the Ridley & would offer you a ride on that, but it's not registered. (I'm in the Raleigh area).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
howdy and welcome to the forum from the top left of the u.s. mainland map
i also came from a cvt scooter , in fact from a series of scooters due to being unable to operate and get on and off a regular motorcycle. i would have not come back to a motorcycle (ctx) except that it allowed me to operate all the controls as if it was and is designed for old farts. it gets better fuel mileage than the last scooter i had which was the bv350 piaggio which is a great scooter for long distance travel and around town.

ken

·
Registered
483 Posts
If having the DCT transmission is a must also look at the NC 700 / 750. It is important to match the bike to your location and riding environment. The scooter experience should help in the transition to the feet forward seating position. The rear suspension on the CTX is pretty stiff with little travel and is best suited for smooth nicely paved roads. If you plan on exploring the back roads in your area like I would with lots of bumps, gravel and pot holes it can take a toll on your back. A bike with a more neutral seating position and more suspension travel may be more versatile for the roads you plan to ride. I have an N model DCT and think it is the ultimate beach cruiser. Nothing but smooth flat roads, stop and go constant 0 to 35 mph max acceleration in heavy traffic maintaining over 60 mpg. I have no complaints about the suspension or lack of horse power because the bike perfectly fits and excels in my riding environment. I bought the bike used and paid cash for it and 2 years later still cant find anything better suited at any cost for what I use it for. Enjoy your shopping and there is no better feeling than years after the purchase knowing you scored the perfect bike for you.!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi, all! New here, coming from the Raleigh area. ..............
Welcome. Haven't done the jump you are asking about but it won't be a problem. The DCT is still just a twist and go. Just be careful because from 0 to 20mph the throttle is VERY sensitive so turn it REALLY slowly until you get the hang of it.

Check with some of the Honda dealers. I know the Cycle Center in Asheboro will let you test ride if they have one available.

Otherwise check out meetup.com for some local riding groups. There may be someone in the group with a CTX.

https://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeetups=false&keywords=motorcycle&radius=50&userFreeform=raleigh&mcId=c27601&mcName=Raleigh%2C+NC&sort=default

I'm about a two hours west of you. Good Luck.

Steve

·
Registered
304 Posts
must also look at the NC 700 / 750.
I could not agree more if it checks the boxes for you. I have few regrets in my life. I truly regret selling my NC700. It is a riders' bike and my favorite of all time to own. Got rid of it due to a lack of garage space. I will be adding an NC750 to the fleet. Nearly as easy to ride as the CTX but is inarguably much more versatile.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If having the DCT transmission is a must also look at the NC 700 / 750.
I have looked at those, and briefly considered going in that direction. However, what appeals to me about the CTX is the low seat height. I'm 5'6" (on a good day...lol) and would prefer to be able to get my feet firmly on the ground. My Kymco has a seat height of around 31" if I'm not mistaken, and my feet reach the ground, but I can't plant them both flat at the same time. If height wasn't a factor, I'd probably look at the Africa Twin. That said, I'm really only looking to cruise around our area and maybe, eventually, make short highway trips.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I have looked at those, and briefly considered going in that direction. However, what appeals to me about the CTX is the low seat height. I'm 5'6" (on a good day...lol) and would prefer to be able to get my feet firmly on the ground. My Kymco has a seat height of around 31" if I'm not mistaken, and my feet reach the ground, but I can't plant them both flat at the same time. If height wasn't a factor, I'd probably look at the Africa Twin. That said, I'm really only looking to cruise around our area and maybe, eventually, make short highway trips.
I'm under 5'4" and would need a ladder to ride a NC750. But the CTX700 fits great. For cruising around and highway trips the CTX is a great bike. Until recently, I was regularly riding 300-350 miles a day on my job. Quite a few of the members here have taken much longer rides, even cross country. Lots of options to personalize your CTX for whatever you want.

Best of luck,

DD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ctx700

I just purchased the ctx700 at baker motorsports but still one available at baker american. I love this bike!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I did! From PCX to Forza to the DCT! I love the DCT-Start her up and shut her down like you would with your car and you should enjoy many fun miles!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm 5'8 I couldn't round house kick my leg over the back seat of the NC700-but I prefer the feet forward position anyway!

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can find a CTX darn cheap and they are excellent all around machines. Although I'd rank them high for new riders in terms of simplicity and safety, even as someone that's been riding for 35 years I don't feel like I am missing out on much with it either.
An honest appraisal of how you intend to ride is in order. I know a lot of people that dropped 20k on an 900lbs touring machine with more closet space than my house-- and are lucky to put a thousand miles a year on the bike. Likewise I have known a great many people that insist on owning an R1 only to be over taken in the twisties by a guy on a Sportster and backwards baseball cap. The CTX is a jack of all trades, and master of none. It's a great machine for an afternoon roll through the hills and lakes. It does just fine around town. It sips gas even though I drive it like a goon. It's even easy to move around in the garage.

Where it lacks is when adding a passenger. The middling size motor shows some cracks in the CTX armor when tossing a couple....let's say 'healthy' sized adults on it. The suspension isn't up to that load and only has a preload adjustment, which doesn't do your ride any favors. I still get around with a passenger fine but there is just no replacement for displacement when it comes to hauling humans. Even with the somewhat anemic motor performance on the highway with two people on board, it's perfectly serviceable- it's just that if I were a dedicated touring rider I would have bought a more niche machine. I tend to avoid long, droning highway blasts anyway.

The DCT is a neat toy, but clutching and manual shifting are only a small part of riding, so getting a DCT to shortcut that is of limited value. On the other hand- I absolutely do not miss a clutch lever. I thought I would and I reached for one for the first two months I owned the CTX. I never use the automatic modes- I find neither works very well and I constantly over-ride it anyway, so I just default to manual mode. It's already removed any downside of manual gear selection- namely stalling, tired forearms in traffic, and the rear tire skipping if you dump the clutch too fast on downshifting. All impossible on the CTX. So twitching a finger or thumb is the least of my concerns for having that control over my gearbox.

Unless you get serious about some niche form of riding, like touring or going fast or offroad- you don't really 'outgrow' a CTX. It's got plenty to keep it relevant for 99% of realistic riding scenarios most people actually find themselves in. There have been rides where I wish I had a big ole Springer Soft tail with luggage, but then I move my CTX in the garage and love it's weight. There are rides where I wish I had my beloved TLR1000 superbike- but then I look at my clean driving record and lack of court appearances and love how slow the CTX is.

You can make a lot worse choices than a CTX, whether it's a DCT or not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An honest appraisal of how you intend to ride is in order.
My main goal is to have something I can use to cruise around town on a lazy day, visit friends, go to a cafe or park with my wife, and occasionally ride to work (a 20-25 minute commute). All of these things are what my wife and I currently do on our Kymco scooters. However, unlike her, I just don't find the step-through design and seating position of the scooter to be as comfortable as a motorcycle. I'd like to eventually work up to taking short highway trips, but am generally going to be keeping it in the 40-60 mph range around town, often with my wife riding her Like 200i along with me.

After we get past the holiday season and I reevaluate my budget, I'm going to start looking more seriously at a purchase. I'm on the fence about buying new vs. used, as I bought my scooter used and it came with some unforeseen issues (nothing major, but headaches nonetheless).

I appreciate everyone's input and will continue my research in the meantime.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It sounds to me like you'd like my last bike, a Yamaha Smax. It's a 155cc fuel injected scooter, and probably has a bit more power than your current scooter. 65 on the freeway was just fine. I was living in Honolulu, and found it to be perfect. When I moved to Oregon, and could ride more than 50 miles from home, I bought a 2015 CTX 700 DCT. I'm very happy with my new ride.

For your stated goals of lazy days and short rides, I'd stick to a scooter, maybe upgrade a bit but don't go too big.

If the idea of longer rides and travel interests you, the CTX could be your bike. It's really not an automatic trans, it's a paddle shifter, with a manual and 2 automatic modes. It's a lot more bike than your scooter, in both HP and weight, but it would greatly expand your horizons, which is what I was after.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For your stated goals of lazy days and short rides, I'd stick to a scooter, maybe upgrade a bit but don't go too big.
Thanks for your input. The majority of my riding is fairly low-key, but I do want the option to extend my adventures a bit more. I guess it's all subjective. It's funny that throughout my research and conversations with riders, some people have told me that upgrading from my 149cc scooter to the 670cc's of the CTX would be going too big, but others have suggested that I'd outgrow anything in the 650cc or so range fairly quickly. In fact, when I first got my motorcycle endorsement, a friend of mine recommended I start out on something larger than 650cc, maybe closer to 900cc, so that I wouldn't want a new bike so soon.

For me, the 149cc scooter was an okay way to practice riding skills and start getting used to riding with traffic. However, the reason I bought it used was because I knew I'd outgrow that. On the other hand, from what I've seen, the CTX is a bike that I won't outgrow for a long time, if ever, and which I can use to continue building my riding skills.

I appreciate everyone's input, though. I tend to over think things, so I'm hoping I can make a decision before I research it to death...lol. On top of holiday expenditures, 13 days of boarding two pets, and a heater that needed fixing, I just need to give my wallet (and my wife) a chance to catch their breath. 😁

·
Super Moderator
3,108 Posts
Thanks for your input. The majority of my riding is fairly low-key, but I do want the option to extend my adventures a bit more. I guess it's all subjective. It's funny that throughout my research and conversations with riders, some people have told me that upgrading from my 149cc scooter to the 670cc's of the CTX would be going too big, but others have suggested that I'd outgrow anything in the 650cc or so range fairly quickly. In fact, when I first got my motorcycle endorsement, a friend of mine recommended I start out on something larger than 650cc, maybe closer to 900cc, so that I wouldn't want a new bike so soon.

For me, the 149cc scooter was an okay way to practice riding skills and start getting used to riding with traffic. However, the reason I bought it used was because I knew I'd outgrow that. On the other hand, from what I've seen, the CTX is a bike that I won't outgrow for a long time, if ever, and which I can use to continue building my riding skills.

I appreciate everyone's input, though. I tend to over think things, so I'm hoping I can make a decision before I research it to death...lol. On top of holiday expenditures, 13 days of boarding two pets, and a heater that needed fixing, I just need to give my wallet (and my wife) a chance to catch their breath. 😁
Sounds like the time will come for you to find yourself a CTX. While possible, it isn't always the case for one to "outgrow" our CTX's. I for one am quite sure that my CTX is the last bike I'll ever own. Actually, at age 75.5, it is kind of inevitible because I'm just plain running out of time.:crying:

So, keep your eyes peeled. There are plenty of good buys out there. Mine was just 6 months old when I bought it in Dec 2015 for just $3900. It was fully $1000-1500 under the best buys in market at the time. So keep in mind that Craigslist, eBay and CycleTrader are your friends in this quest. So put your location in your profile and don't be afraid to ask for one of us to take a look at your candidate bike when the time comes. If you are close to me, I for one, would be happy to do so.
:nerd:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts