CTX 700 Forum banner

281 - 290 of 290 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
The new GPS power plug was only step 1 of 2 for the GPS. I have now also upgraded the mounting bracket. This new bracket allows the GPS to be displayed closer to me and is solid, with little to no vibration unlike I had before. I have also provided a simulated time lapse of creation for you. Sorry, I forgot to make a first one of the stock used.

What the previous bracket looked like:

Remove the old one, create spacers and a mounting plate, mock installed.

I am making two currently, for two different bikes. Plates and extensions made.

Prep for welds.

Tacked in position.

Finished welding and trimmed some more. Everything disassembled and cleaned.

Cleaned and ready for paint.

Painting done. I used Plasti-dip for ultimate weather protection.

Bracket installed.

Adapter plate installed, finished!

GPS equipped as needed:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Now thats some engineering right there....... and some welding...... That gives your cluster a nice clean look and keeps the eyes forward.... I like it!!!!

Reactions: Rebel13

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Water in Gas again

Well she is back at acting bad, even worse than before! I remembered last time, it rained good just before it acted up. Well today It poured badly several times. I tried to take her to storage after the rains, had trouble and eventually limped her there. On my way there I pulled over to look around at her. I popped the cubby lid at there was water pooled in there where it should be draining out. I remembered it doing the same thing last time. So, either water is coming in through the fuel cap while submerged or it is coming in through the fuel tank vent tube. If you look earlier, I have joined the two lines together once before. Either way, there is a blockage in the drain/vent tube. I tapped the line and a few drops came out while the fuel area is still filled with water. I went to storage to swap bikes cause tomorrow I have a 400+ mile ride on another bike and Sunday will be another other bike build day. So I won't be able to look at it further until next week.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
I cut my build day short yesterday to work on Sally. It turns out that the drain line was clogged about halfway down past the T toward the ground. There was still water at the drain hole yesterday when I took her out of storage. The good news is that the water wasn't coming in from the tank vent yet, I didn't think it would as the rides where short and it would have to fight gravity and vacuum to happen, so the water is coming from the fuel cap itself while being submerged. The good news is that I didn't have to remove any panels except the sprocket cover. What I did was remove the very thin T. I detached and left the fuel vent hang by itself, it already has a filter and hangs below the tank, so it will be just fine. I reattached the drain line with a slightly larger union and slightly rerouted the line so it will not get all the oil fling that didn't help its cause to begin with. Everything is flushed and tested good. So I went out and rode 3 hours and 142 miles later I got most of the bad gas out. I put $2 of ethonal free in and today I will run it near empty and this should be a dead subject.

An even cleaner look!

You can see how the new GPS works without interference with the gauge.

And so I rode~

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Partially defective chain guard.

Well, I planned on doing this two weeks ago. A friend was interested in my bike for a trade, but his bike was a bit short in value compared to mine so I passed and gave him some time to renegotiate, but nothing happened. Then I went on a two day bike tour, then more other bike mods took priority and here I am back at it caught up finally.

I have modified the stock chain guard once before, that is lowered it for better coverage over stock:

Looks good right? Well, there are still some flaws to it. As you can see, it doesn't cover fully center, so fling still happens a great deal:

Stay tuned as she is in work, I am correcting the issue. I plan to have this project done some time tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Fling Guard

I worked last night and early this morning to beat the heat. First thing to do was remove the chain guard.

The rear guard bracket was in the way by being too long and protruding oddly. So I cut it down and removed the backing nut. I then painted it.

As the guard is pretty flimsy and I am adding weight to it, I supported it with a 4inch aluminum flat bar, that is why there is an additional screw on the side. Also by design of the guard and the support bar, the guard curves a great deal. As there is no real way to fix this, I modified the fling guard to compensate. And here is the final result:

It isn't the prettiest thing, but it is functional.

281 - 290 of 290 Posts