CTX 700 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
If you remove the 4 rubber stoppers from the bottom of the seat, the seat rests on the straps of the bags and the seat is easy to remove. The un-latching is not an issue.

As soon as it stops raining here in the NY area I will post pictures

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey - sorry, I've been out of pocket for a bit. I'll get some pics and post this weekend. :) Hubster is a master fabricator and has the parts drawn out in SolidWorks. If you have a shop that can cut/bend the metal, I'd be more than happy to send you the file.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Still not seeing anything on the site linked above. (c-bow)

Are softsided typically mounted somehow , or are they just thrown under the seat, and then secured..?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just ordered mine from the dealer today. @ 850 with the red colormatched panel.

They look really good in black (the whole bike does!)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great Job

Effem Tee great idea of the saddlebag supports I am going to try it but I have an old curtain rod the kind that one side slides in to the other. They already have at a 90. The front will be zip tied over the front loop as you did and the rear I will drill a hole and use the top licens plate bolt to secure. Do you think it will be strong enough?
P5110023.jpg
P5110026.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
It might work but I would say doubtful. Certainly not over time. These were notorious for bending on the weak side due to its paper thin construction. Really not designed to hold more than a pound or two of curtain cloth on small kitchen/bath windows so doubt it would hold up to a set of loaded bags swinging on moderate to hard bumps.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Effem Tee great idea of the saddlebag supports I am going to try it but I have an old curtain rod the kind that one side slides in to the other. They already have at a 90. The front will be zip tied over the front loop as you did and the rear I will drill a hole and use the top licens plate bolt to secure. Do you think it will be strong enough?
View attachment 7298
View attachment 7290

Yes, I do. The bags don't need "support" in any sense except that you just want them our of the way of the wheel, chain, and other moving things. If you ZipTie them to the supports, there will be no weight for them to bear.

Glad you liked my solution. Here's the original post: http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/new-2013-honda-ctx700-news/5737-saddlebags-3.html

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a red CTX700N and did install the bags. They are not as sleek as the leather bags I had on my VStar650 but I like the room and the fact that the entire bag comes off. Here is a photo of my bags:
I am looking at getting these exact bags except in black. What do I need in order to install them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey - sorry, I've been out of pocket for a bit. I'll get some pics and post this weekend. :) Hubster is a master fabricator and has the parts drawn out in SolidWorks. If you have a shop that can cut/bend the metal, I'd be more than happy to send you the file.
Love the hard bags. Sorry if I missed something, but what are they? Unless it's just the angle, they seem real nice'n big.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How are the brackets secured to the bike? It looks like the back end is attached under the reflector. What about the front end? Quite an ingenious idea!

2008 Siverwing 600
2014 CTX700N DCT ABS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the great inspiration - this is a fantastic and inexpensive fix. On my way to home depot.

TWG

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Thank you for the great inspiration - this is a fantastic and inexpensive fix. On my way to home depot.

TWG
Welcome to the forum TWG. We have a great group of people here with excellent information on the CTX. Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
saddle bag side covers.

I have the hard bags on a ctx700d with the color matched side plates
and found the plates detach at the top edge. It looks like the curvature
of the mating pieces don't match and net force tends to detach the
cover plate. Has anyone seen this and how did they reconnect the covers?
I suppose that they could be glued on the bag, but that would make it very
difficult to remove them if needed. It appears that the sticky tape that the
factory supplies is not good enough.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the hard bags on a ctx700d with the color matched side plates
and found the plates detach at the top edge. It looks like the curvature
of the mating pieces don't match and net force tends to detach the
cover plate. Has anyone seen this and how did they reconnect the covers?
I suppose that they could be glued on the bag, but that would make it very
difficult to remove them if needed. It appears that the sticky tape that the
factory supplies is not good enough.
Theres a thread titled "Colored panels for OEM saddlebags" in the "How to" section that discusses the problem. Some people did use glue. You'll find my solution on the 23rd post.;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm cheap, says my wife. I'm a value buyer says me! I admire the motorcyclist with the milk crate straped on the back of his bike. (Illegal in many states to use a milk crate for anything but transporting milk.) My last bike was a Honda Magna with LeatherLyke bags. Retail something like $400. Bought them used. While down the basement getting out Christmas decorations I spot a small Samsonite suitcase with hard sides; looks pretty durable. Didn't I see a gorilla throwing one around on TV years ago? Next I check EBay. There it is, same model suitcase. $25.00 Hum, a little paint some sort of rigging and I'm in biz. Now, its about the helmet --------.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK. Here's the install info. Just look at each pic. Complements to my wife being Vanna White are happily accepted.

Not having a machine shop, or more than simple tools...being 68 and infirm of back and left hip...and being a cheap bas****rd on Social Security, I watched all you folks, and thought...and thought...and thought some more. YES, THOSE ARE SHELF BRACKETS from Home Depot. SKU info in the shots. Shots show getting ready, trial fit [brackets are 25 inches = no cutting at all!], attach points are the u-bracket forward, and the licence plate holder rear. Zip handcuffed to each end, and then the bag's strap-work is fastened to the shelf bracket, and the extra strap tape neatly wrapped and tucked thru an available slot for ship shape look. The bags have 3 straps each [front, rear-middle, back]; the middle one is simply not used.

You all inspired me.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f:cool:
Effem Tee

This is a great idea. Glad you thought of it and shared. I'm going to try that for the saddlebags I just got for my CTX700N.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Given the lack of storage on my CTX700N, I decided early on I would have to add some auxiliary storage. My criteria included something easily removable, have enough capacity to carry necessities for two night trip, and reasonable price. The OEM hard bags were immediately eliminated on points 1 and 3. My solution was a set of Nelson-Riggs saddlebags (CL-950) which I found online for $120. Initial installation took about 45 minutes. In my first test ride they stayed put with no discernible effect. removable takes less than 30 seconds with only two straps remaining on the bike. When I'm satisfied no further adjustment is necessary, I'll probably stitch the two rear straps together so they do not cover any portion of the reflector.
I got the same set of bags and couldn't get them anywhere near level. This is when they were empty, I could only imagine what they would be like when they had some weight in them. So I tried the shelf bracket idea that effemmtee had. It didn't work much better for me. So I took another trip to Home Depot and bought some aluminum bar and some aluminum rod. I used a tube bender (item # 3755) from Harbor Freight to bend it. I'll post pictures when I figure out how.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts