CTX 700 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'm thinking of adding a little bit more luggage than my already-large, 55-liter case just for one, temporary event in July.

I'm thinking about heading up to Mansfield, OH in July and entering the Vetter Challenge just for fun. It's a power-two and three wheel fuel economy challenge, wherein folks with different bikes and trikes, scooters, etc., fueled by different fuels (so far gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, and electric) commit to a real-world fuel economy competition. The placements of the competition is done by fuel cost incurred during the event, not actual fuel amount. For instance, the electric bikes have to go by the local electric rates per kw, plus they have to add the same road tax incurred by the event organizer equal to what he incurs during the competition. The diesel / biodiesel bikes (only two with the same power train, one streamlined, one not) have to incur the higher price for diesel, but the streamlined diesel has won almost every event held over the last five years or so, even with the higher price for diesel fuel. A rider/owner with a streamlined 250 has been coming in a close second, but is coming in to this event with an all-new, streamlined design, so he may topple Fred Hayes's diesel.

Anyway, I just had a thought this morning of riding up there and throwing me and the CTX700 into the event just to show all interested parties what this 670 cc engine can achieve. During the last Vetter Challenge, an NC700X was in the competition and it finished around 70 mpg. I think, and hope, that I can do better, but in the competition, the actual fuel economy will be revealed, and it will not be based on my own, possibly erred odometer reading and other areas of possible error that one incurs in just regular, personal recording. This would be interesting for me, and I also am motivated by just wanting to publicize the CTX700 in such an event and just to see other vehicles, including the streamlined machines.

The Vetter Challenge is set up as a real-world competition at real world speeds, hard accelerations, etc. In order to qualify as a contender for the competition, one has to be able to hold four, full-size, paper bags full of groceries, fully contained in one's luggage. If the groceries fit but part of the bag or groceries are exposed, then one can still qualify, but then he or she must carry the groceries during the competition. If one's groceries fit, all contained, then he or she may remove the groceries during the competition.

I did some calculations. The groceries are said to be about a volume of around 400 cubic inches. That equates to around 65 liters. My box is around 55 liters. I'm thinking about adding some kind of luggage, maybe saddle bags, just so I can be a certified contender, even though I know I won't come even close to winning the non-streamlined, gas-powered class, because the 250s will have a huge horsepower advantage on me. But if I can ride as a qualified contender, that would be better, so I'm starting to look at something that would allow for me to hold all four bags.

Now I'm relooking at this thread more closely and appreciate all the info provided.
Consider a Biker's Friend saddlebag. Plenty of storage to get your your 65 liters, it serves as a good backrest, AND it will stay in-line with your body and your existing trunk. That makes your entire airstream longer and less interrupted, which improves aerodynamics. And it also eliminates the drag associated with sidebags...

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I believe he has a back rest and carrier mounted on his bike. If you have the N model, you would need the inner support brackets, backrest brackets, back rest and carrier. If you have the fairing model, you already have the inner supports. You would need all of these except the backrest if you plan to mount a box on the back. Thankfully, you wouldn't need to buy the backrest since it wouldn't fit any longer and most boxes have a built in backrest.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
well, I was thinking of strapping the saddleman box on the passenger part of the seat, is this a bad idea?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
well, I was thinking of strapping the saddleman box on the passenger part of the seat, is this a bad idea?
No. not at all. Many people do the same. Just make sure its secure so you don't lose it. Your bike has multiple hooks and loops to secure any number of straps of various types to it. I was referring to the larger, lockable storage trunks sold. Those would need a dedicated carrier bracket to secure properly.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I believe you are talking about the passenger handles.
The naked model did not come with the passenger handles mounted. They are not needed for the hard bags but the supports under them are I am believe. They are not needed if you are going to use soft saddle bags. Addigng a backrest or rack requires the brackets that fan out over the sides by the seat.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I believe he has a back rest and carrier mounted on his bike. If you have the N model, you would need the inner support brackets, backrest brackets, back rest and carrier. If you have the fairing model, you already have the inner supports. You would need all of these except the backrest if you plan to mount a box on the back. Thankfully, you wouldn't need to buy the backrest since it wouldn't fit any longer and most boxes have a built in backrest.

jfc is correct. I have the Honda-installed backrest, carrier, and support brackets. That is a backpack from The Helmet Shop lashed to a board I cut and fastened to the carrier. With the saddlebags, I now have over 18-20 liters of storage.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f:cool:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That is a great place to put it - it becomes a backrest for you.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Consider a Biker's Friend saddlebag. Plenty of storage to get your your 65 liters, it serves as a good backrest, AND it will stay in-line with your body and your existing trunk. That makes your entire airstream longer and less interrupted, which improves aerodynamics. And it also eliminates the drag associated with sidebags...
Hey good idea; but not the way you are thinking...

Yes it's true that I've got a good-size, low-drag, hard box directly behind my back strapped to the seat; it also doubles as a backrest when it's not loaded down too full, but when I load it down, since it is strapped to the seat, even though I've got it supported in the rear, the rear pad squishes a little bit giving the box a slight rearward lean and putting the box away from my back unless I really work hard to sit back. I'm planning on moving the box forward maybe a 1/4" and putting a something else under my support pad in the rear to raise the rear just maybe another 1/6" or so. This would make it perfect. I don't want it too close, because I like being able to choose whether or not to use it as a backrest. Additionally, I'm thinking that the smaller the gap between my back and the box, the better this would help with aerodynamics. I'm by no means an expert on drag, however. I'm going to be spending alot of time on Ecomodder.com and learn more about windscreens, friction, tire air pressure, etc., so that I can get the most out of my bike on that day without being unsafe or causing damage to the bike.

I've been thinking of something just to add to the luggage space in the same area w/o increasing drag too much. I'll have to look closer to the rules, but I think that all the groceries have to go in the luggage upright and they all have to be totally covered and unseen. Also, the groceries have to be loaded and secure w/i 45 seconds of receiving the four grocery bags. If I do not meet all the standards but am still able to fit in all the groceries, I'm not disqualified, but then I have to ride with all the groceries loaded.If I were to add to the height of the current box, it would most probably not add much at all to the drag. I could take any kind of decent size roll and strap it or velcro it to the top box and this would give me plenty of room.

The idea of a roll helps me alot. Maybe I could strap or velcro directly on top of my hard box. I have to make sure that how ever I attach it that I can do it quickly, but this gets my mind churning. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hey good idea; but not the way you are thinking...

Yes it's true that I've got a good-size, low-drag, hard box directly behind my back strapped to the seat; it also doubles as a backrest when it's not loaded down too full, but when I load it down, since it is strapped to the seat, even though I've got it supported in the rear, the rear pad squishes a little bit giving the box a slight rearward lean and putting the box away from my back unless I really work hard to sit back. I'm planning on moving the box forward maybe a 1/4" and putting a something else under my support pad in the rear to raise the rear just maybe another 1/6" or so. This would make it perfect. I don't want it too close, because I like being able to choose whether or not to use it as a backrest. Additionally, I'm thinking that the smaller the gap between my back and the box, the better this would help with aerodynamics. I'm by no means an expert on drag, however. I'm going to be spending alot of time on Ecomodder.com and learn more about windscreens, friction, tire air pressure, etc., so that I can get the most out of my bike on that day without being unsafe or causing damage to the bike.

I've been thinking of something just to add to the luggage space in the same area w/o increasing drag too much. I'll have to look closer to the rules, but I think that all the groceries have to go in the luggage upright and they all have to be totally covered and unseen. Also, the groceries have to be loaded and secure w/i 45 seconds of receiving the four grocery bags. If I do not meet all the standards but am still able to fit in all the groceries, I'm not disqualified, but then I have to ride with all the groceries loaded.If I were to add to the height of the current box, it would most probably not add much at all to the drag. I could take any kind of decent size roll and strap it or velcro it to the top box and this would give me plenty of room.

The idea of a roll helps me alot. Maybe I could strap or velcro directly on top of my hard box. I have to make sure that how ever I attach it that I can do it quickly, but this gets my mind churning. Thanks!
Ahhh, I thought you had a rear luggage rack. If you do, move your top case to the luggage rack and this between you and the top case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys

New forum member here from Brisbane, Australia. I bought the CTX700N a few months ago but am having issues with after market parts in Australia.

I've been after the rack, backrest system but Honda Australia was very slow to release it. I contacted them and they told me that they were about to release it but the price is ridiculously expensive - over$1000 just for the rack, backrest and bags were to be extra!

Anyway I travel regularly to Japan so thought that I'd pick it up from over there and bring back. I gave them a call and they told me that the Japanese release of the bike is different from the Australian release so the racks etc would not fit.

Does anyone know if the US release is similar to the Australian design as it would probably be a whole lot cheaper to purchase it Stateside rather than here...even with sending.

As a side note, there is a company that is quite well recognised out here (not sure if they are in the US) called Ventura. They make knock off aftermarkets at much cheaper prices. They are New Zealand based and have told me that they won't be able to make the rack until the CTX700N is released over there. Honda New Zealand tells me that they have no plans to release in New Zealand. Stupid, I know but definetely their loss!! Does anyone know of an aftermarket knockoff company Stateside that I may be able to consider over your side of the pond??

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Phill, I've just purchased rack and brackets from USA Postage was $60. Dealer where I purchased bike offered me a "special Deal" on rack , installed for....wait for it......$600. Lots of people posting here complain about US prices, I LOVE US prices.
Barry Jones

·
Registered
329 Posts
Land Down Under!

CRIKEY Bazil! You paid what I paid here in USA!

Ever heard of these mates and their fancy trailer hitches? I tried to contact them twice with no response. Maybe be'in in country, you might be able to get a hold of them fellas and see if they make a hitch for our bikes? I know I know, just drive a car, mate! But I am that guy always trying to recreate the Millinium Falcon!

http://www.classicind.com.au/Contact/

Reactions: Sil3yali

·
Registered
82 Posts
Will do Ralph, I'll get right on it. Towed a trailer from East to West (4800 miles return) with a Burgman 650, had a "Tent Cot" screwed to the trailer for sleeps.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
OK. Here's the install info. Just look at each pic. Complements to my wife being Vanna White are happily accepted.

Not having a machine shop, or more than simple tools...being 68 and infirm of back and left hip...and being a cheap bas****rd on Social Security, I watched all you folks, and thought...and thought...and thought some more. YES, THOSE ARE SHELF BRACKETS from Home Depot. SKU info in the shots. Shots show getting ready, trial fit [brackets are 25 inches = no cutting at all!], attach points are the u-bracket forward, and the licence plate holder rear. Zip handcuffed to each end, and then the bag's strap-work is fastened to the shelf bracket, and the extra strap tape neatly wrapped and tucked thru an available slot for ship shape look. The bags have 3 straps each [front, rear-middle, back]; the middle one is simply not used.

You all inspired me.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
Effem Tee (or is it Eff Full) just finished the HD shelf bracket mod for the soft saddlebags. I had noticed that without the bracket they rubbed the fairing.
Great idea, pictures and good old ingenuity!

Slightly bent the rear bracket up that the reflector screws into and used the reflector screw to anchor the shelf bracket. Used the ties in the front like you did.

Thanks!

Like the screen name.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Glad it all worked out for you. Kind of a Robinson Crusoe adaptation, innit?

My name is Frank Mario Tedesco. All my professional life people called me Eff Em Tee.

So there you have it.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Frank,
Thought it was a play on half empty!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the Hepco & Becker C-Bow on order, should arrive in a week or so. Will post pics and/or video if they work out.

Bag

Mount
Are you sure it will arrive in a week or so ?
I tried to order the Lock-it Side Carrier - Honda CTX700 / N on the same page and was told that just because it appears on the web site does not mean that it has been designed yet.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts