CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for saddlebags or hard side cases for my bike. I'm having a hard time finding solid info on this, sadly.

My bike is new to me and I'm unfamiliar with installing saddlebags so I need basic info. My local Honda dealership was not helpful, as they directed me to discontinued, unavailable items.

So, what sort of saddlebags or hard cases are compatible with my bike? Do you need Honda's mounting brackets?

I searched this forum, and unfortunately, the information I found on this subject is too old to be useful, as the recommended bags are discontinued.

Years ago I Bungie corded a couple duffle bags over the passenger seat of my '81 Yamaha, but I'd like to think I've moved beyond that stage.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would this work?

Anyone know anything about these? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
434 Posts
The OEM Honda bags are discontinued but many of the other choices are still available. I haven't done it yet but I'm looking at the Viking Lamellar bags. A former moderator (sadly now deceased) designed a set of universal mounting brackets and those are also available. Search on "JFC Brackets". You can check threads where those mounting brackets have been used with several different cases.

There are a couple of threads on using the Shad SH36s. Here's a good one.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I'm looking for saddlebags or hard side cases for my bike. I'm having a hard time finding solid info on this, sadly.

My bike is new to me and I'm unfamiliar with installing saddlebags so I need basic info. My local Honda dealership was not helpful, as they directed me to discontinued, unavailable items.

So, what sort of saddlebags or hard cases are compatible with my bike? Do you need Honda's mounting brackets?

I searched this forum, and unfortunately, the information I found on this subject is too old to be useful, as the recommended bags are discontinued.

Years ago I Bungie corded a couple duffle bags over the passenger seat of my '81 Yamaha, but I'd like to think I've moved beyond that stage.

Thank you all.
A good place to start, Jennifer, is to show us a picture of your bike. That will tell us where you need to start with hard bag installation. It will require some wrench work, but with help from you tube, it was very rewarding for me. Good luck.(y)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The OEM Honda bags are discontinued but many of the other choices are still available. I haven't done it yet but I'm looking at the Viking Lamellar bags. A former moderator (sadly now deceased) designed a set of universal mounting brackets and those are also available. Search on "JFC Brackets". You can check threads where those mounting brackets have been used with several different cases.

There are a couple of threads on using the Shad SH36s. Here's a good one.

Thanks a bunch! I'll take a look at that later today!

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Ok, to install hard bags, the first task will be to remove the rear panels and install inner supports. The attached video shows how to do that. If you plan to use Shad bags, install the supports Shad supplies. If you plan to use JFC Bracketz, install the Honda supports as shown in the video. Once the inner supports are installed, you can add brackets and hard bags. Good luck, and keep asking questions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, to install hard bags, the first task will be to remove the rear panels and install inner supports. The attached video shows how to do that. If you plan to use Shad bags, install the supports Shad supplies. If you plan to use JFC Bracketz, install the Honda supports as shown in the video. Once the inner supports are installed, you can add brackets and hard bags. Good luck, and keep asking questions.
Thanks, those little details actually clear up a lot of my confusion

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A good place to start, Jennifer, is to show us a picture of your bike. That will tell us where you need to start with hard bag installation. It will require some wrench work, but with help from you tube, it was very rewarding for me. Good luck.(y)
I realize that isn't a very helpful picture, as you can't see the rear of the bike, but that's what I had in my phone before work this morning. So, here is what the rear looks like. There is a metal hook and loop that stick out, and I don't know what they are, if they are original or an addition.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just watched the video and it's priceless. I'm pretty sure I could do that myself, and I'm not very handy. Thank you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Being the naked version I believe you need some additional brackets for the bag mount as shown at the beginning of that video (honda part). I have the fairing version so nothing extra was needed besides the regular set of brackets and the bags. If you go the Shad route and you don't mind waiting about 3-4 weeks I found them cheapest at FC-moto out of germany. Just be prepared to wait. Stuck in customs for weeks and whatnot. But saved about $200 on the brackets and bags.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being the naked version I believe you need some additional brackets for the bag mount as shown at the beginning of that video (honda part). I have the fairing version so nothing extra was needed besides the regular set of brackets and the bags. If you go the Shad route and you don't mind waiting about 3-4 weeks I found them cheapest at FC-moto out of germany. Just be prepared to wait. Stuck in customs for weeks and whatnot. But saved about $200 on the brackets and bags.
I just ordered the supports, the brackets, and the bags from Shad. It was hard to figure out which parts I needed, but you guys in here cleared that up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just ordered the supports, the brackets, and the bags from Shad. It was hard to figure out which parts I needed, but you guys in here cleared that up.
You will enjoy them. They are well engineered and carry a lot of stuff. And I think they make the look of my bike...Night and day how the bike looks with them in comparison to without.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
You ordered the right parts. Have fun installing them. They will look great on that bike.(y):)

Reactions: Cleveland Jennifer

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Assuming you ordered the Shad inner supports and the 3P sidebag mounting system, here is a series of videos that will guide you through the installation on your CTX700N:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Assuming you ordered the Shad inner supports and the 3P sidebag mounting system, here is a series of videos that will guide you through the installation on your CTX700N:
Thank you! That's very helpful.

Just got an email from Shad and they're backordered, looks like I should have them beginning of August

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You will enjoy them. They are well engineered and carry a lot of stuff. And I think they make the look of my bike...Night and day how the bike looks with them in comparison to without.
I'd love to see pictures! My bags won't be here for a while as they are backordered

1 - 20 of 26 Posts