CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The instructions that I got came from the dealer parts guy. He had to print them up for me because none came with all the parts I ordered with the bike.
The instructions have you remove almost every piece of plastic to get to the two bolts that hold the saddle bag stays on. I was not amused after spending a couple of hours to get to that point and realize I just needed to remove two covers and loosen a couple of bolts to gain access rather than a clomplete fairing removal.
Also note if you have a "D" it will have rear hand grips. The inner support that the accessory parts list requires for the saddle bags is already there and you don't need to buy them. If you don't have rear hand grips you need to buy the inner supports.
This job was also a pretty easy one once I found the shortcuts I'm describing here.

First take off the seat. Use the key to release the latch. Grab the tail of the seat and lift up while pulling it rearward.
Next remove the rear hand grips. Pry the little bolt caps out and use a hex key or hex socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With the rear grips off we remove the rear cowl next. I did one side at a time.
Remove the two poppets in the wheel well and one at the front.
Remove the screw at the rear top. Pull outward at the front to release the snaps then push rearward to release the interlock tabs on the top rear of the cowl.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
LOL! I feel your pain brother! I downloaded the instructions from the Honda support website but when I saw they wanted me to remove the the covers up front, I knew they were useless. I spent more than a few hours just figuring out all the bolts and plates getting it all right. I had no faith in the instructions after that.
You rock on Instructional pictures! You are saving future wrenches a lot of headaches. :Thumbs Up:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Cobra, look at the "Upgrade My Membership" at top right of page under your Welcome. You only get 5Mb with free membership. It costs for an upgrade to 100Mb Photo Storage. Although, your service to the Forum is great and should be free IMO.
You probably could use Photobucket or some other site like it and just post a link to your ahotos. That would not cost you nothing. At least I think it would work. However, sites like this need money to maintain their servers, so donations and membership upgrades are helpful.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah I know how it works and I'll probably upgrade in a couple days. My wallet needs a rest after the recent purchase. If the Mods wanted to kick down I'd happily finish this How-to and submit another on Fairing removal.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If bags are already mounted you release the suitcase handle with your key, then lift and pull outward while rocking the bottom of the case to the rear. At least thats how mine go. If your Mounting the bags instructions are available from the dealer. I will cough up the dough and finish the instructions in this thread soon. It's hard to make sense without the pictures.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yah I know how it works and I'll probably upgrade in a couple days. My wallet needs a rest after the recent purchase. If the Mods wanted to kick down I'd happily finish this How-to and submit another on Fairing removal.
I understand completely Cobra. When you get that finished up, it is going to seriously help anyone wanting to install bags themselves.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Next you loosen the the two bolts for the mid section cover. You need to loosen it enough to get a 12mm end wrench on the bolt that holds the bracket on the frame. I had taken the mid section cover off the left side when I took the pics. You can remove the bolt and bracket without having to remove the mid section cover. The instruction have you doing it which requires removal of the fairing. Any way remove the bracket and install the saddle bag stay.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put the rear cowl back on. If you woking on an N istall the inner supports before the rear cowl goes back on, Ds already have them. Install the bag supports using the spacers supplied. If you are putting on a cargo rack use the spacers and longer bolts for it. Thick spacer goes to the front. Stack the pieces like this.. Cargo rack bracket on bottom saddle bag support in the middle rear grip on top. I stacked it together upsidedown and stuck the bolts in to keep it all lined up. Put the bolts in the holes and tighten them up. Install the grip bolt caps and put the seat back on and your done.
The bags come with a lock cylinder that you key. Those instructions supplied are good and easy to follow. The latch sfor the locks were taped inside the top of one of the bags. I didn't find it until aftercalling the dealer and reporting the missing pieces. They had gotten a second set in and had trouble finding the pieces too. When they did find them they called me and clued me in.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Excellent instructions. I've noticed other manuals often send you down an unnecessary path, or fail to provide sufficiently emphasis on some crucial aspect, so looks like this one is no different.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Great work Cobraguy; Many will find your work very useful when they get those accessories. It sure beats starting blind on your own like you did.

Reactions: jmc

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedback. This how to is intended to make the install easier for new owners at any mechanical skill level. I highly recomend use of the instructions as they do give good illustrations of where the fasteners are located.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very nice write up my wife's ctx came with the bags put on by dealer. They showed us how to take them off and the tech had a hard time pulling them off I had she had to hold the bike any way now we are home a week later and can't get the bags off is their a adjustments some were I can go back and adjust Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don,t think so. I found that the lock was tight and we had to fiddle with it to get it to latch securely at first but after a week of regular use they find their groove with no problem. The bags have gotten easier with time also. Maybe the plastics are conforming to the mounts or the practice is paying off. I still start the top latch in the groove and role the bottom onto the stay, if that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts