CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Thanks for bringing it to the forum, Mike.

Well, … Isn't this what a majority of, or at least a lot of, the forum members have been crying for? IF this does hit the floors, it will explain why they killed the CTX700. Hope they don't include the useless, molded in saddlebags, but I do hope they will include a few other things, including a cruise control, And (since it's the AT powertrain) it will have the DCT with more modes that we have on the CTX. of course there will be those who want a shaft or a belt drive. And we know how Honda feels about belt drives, so keep hoping that they give you the shaft (doubt it).

This is good news but I've seen a lot of prognostications from this source before. I'm waiting for HondaProKevin to announce the touring lineup in September.

·
Registered
520 Posts
1000cc is small for a touring bike these days.

Honda has the Gold Wing 1833cc, ST1300, Interstate 1312cc, CTX1300. Yamaha has the FJR1300, Venture 1854cc. Kawasaki has the Concours 1400, Voyager 1700. Suzuki has the Boulevard C90T 1462cc.

So yeah, it's an entry touring bike.

I really hate large bikes so that's why I'm on a CTX. It's a small touring bike to me even though it's not marketed as a "touring" bike.

The AT motor seems like a good fit, but it's half screw type adjusters and half shim under bucket. I would prefer screw type or hydraulic.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Everything is realitive. While I agree that compared to current options, this would be an entry level touring bike, perhaps mid-sized touring bike would be a better descriptor. Make this bike in the <= 650ish pound range with a low center of gravity, abs, cruise and shaft drive and offer the DCT for those so inclined, style it like the 2018+ non tour Goldwing, don't price it in the $20Ks, and I think it would sell. My guess is Honda is concerned this class of bike would cannabilize goldwind sales though (which apparently aren't meeting sales projections based on the number of leftover 2018 models available), so I'll be surprised to see it (from Honda) in the US. I love the new Goldwing but at 61, just don't want 900 pounds/$25,000 of motorcycle.

On second thought, maybe we are just talking about a modernized ST1300.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I'm with Keco on this. That would put two models pretty close to one and other. Honda has done this before though with the Pacific Coast.....
If I had a say, I would bring back the NC/NT bike in a smaller engine configuration. Personally, I love the style of both bikes. I don't understand what Honda has against lightweight touring machines.... Maybe they are counting on ADVbikes for that....

·
Premium Member
659 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
With a seat height of 31.7 that leaves a lot of short legged riders out of the picture. Just doesn't sound right. And a bigger engine is not necessarily good, heavier bike to handle, etc.

·
Registered
457 Posts
could this be the one in this thread?.
the picture looks the same
https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx700-general-discussion-forum/79329-anyone-see.html

I think it will work.
The ST1300 sold decently well but has been out of production since 2013.
The Interstate 1312 is hardly a touring machine.
And the CTX1300 did not sell well or last long on the market.
The NT with DCT will be welcomed by more than a few, I think.
(it's Africa Twin, not African Twin, by the way)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No matter what they bring back, let's hope they learn from HD's mistakes, which shows once again in HD's release of sales and profits (or lack of) today. The Japanese are generally not stupid... but what sells here in US, other than Gold Wing, does not drive their R&D, the rest of the world does.

·
Registered
457 Posts
With a seat height of 31.7 that leaves a lot of short legged riders out of the picture. Just doesn't sound right. And a bigger engine is not necessarily good, heavier bike to handle, etc.
Agreed. I'm 5'10" (almost 5'11") but I have a 30" inseam. If I can't flat foot a bike with both feet, I'm not even going to consider it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'd buy it. I wanted the NT when it came in. The integrated saddlebags I thought were great, just like the PC had. I tossed a leg over it and it felt perfect for me. I had wanted the dct so I waited. Then they killed it before that happened. So with the AF twin motor I can almost guarantee a dct in it. I'd expect initial price to be around 15.9. Hope they do this. I think it's a beautiful bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
The numbers back me up with the majority. The NT and ST where/are very unappealing against their competition. And the previous Pacific Coast was even uglier. The only thing they did right this time was to finally put a big enough engine in it to be useful with the modern times, it only took four times to get that single point right!

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Until it's in an o0fficial release, I'm not holding my breath. Before the "New" Gold Wings arrived, there was rampant speculation that Honda would be introducing a 4 cyl., 1200cc, version. That was based on some patents that Honda applied for, so is wasn't some blue sky. I got more important things to do than play a guessing game.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts