CTX 700 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Good Morning all - so I stopped by the dealership and spoke directly with the Honda tech to see what's going on. Final confirmation is there's nothing wrong with the engine, even though it shows maxing out I could still ride it safely. It is indeed the instrument cluster that's messed up and as some of you have pointed out, a new replacement part is $315. Imagine that and having the dealer install it - add in labor and that's another humdinger. Now, I could just buy the part myself and basically plug it in. My concern with getting a used part on eBay is it may still have the same issue - who knows where it's been. In any case, I'm putting instrument cluster repair/part buy on hold and moving ahead with the fork rebuild in which they'll order the parts today and bike should be ready by next week. I guess it's not as bad as it could have been?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Footnote; Awhile back, I bought the Triumph fork protectors discovered here (taller version), very pleased, as I think they will protect the fork tubes from damage from debris. Easy install, "clamp" on, (no need to over tighten mounting bolts...ie; "snug")

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Footnote; Awhile back, I bought the Triumph fork protectors discovered here (taller version), very pleased, as I think they will protect the fork tubes from damage from debris. Easy install, "clamp" on, (no need to over tighten mounting bolts...ie; "snug")
Those are the ones you have the ones for the CTX? Which model/website can I find that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Also - anyone here use a power distributor to hook up multiple electronics? If so, what brand/model is it and how is the installation?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've used FuzeBlock and Denali. FuzeBlock is superior in quality all the way around to the Denali. There may be units that are better than both. The installation takes minutes if there is not a ton of routing to your switched leg and to the battery. I think the CTX has an accessory harness that might fit the bill for whatever you are planning.

·
Registered
987 Posts

For the life of me I can't seem to find "Pinned" Threads on this new site. Threads like this to help others use to be pinned to top of each forum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

For the life of me I can't seem to find "Pinned" Threads on this new site. Threads like this to help others use to be pinned to top of each forum.
Just found it - I just did a Google search for "CTX700 fork protectors" and found your comment on the threat - Bike Bandit Triumph Fork Protectors

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Hey Everyone, so this is actually my first post. I have a 2014 DCT. I just put some OEM saddlebags on it and am considering a few other add-ons like speakers and 12V socket. So I've noticed on the highway when I'm cruising at 65mph+ the RPMs are almost red-lining and and 6 & 7 on the tachometer. It shouldn't be struggling at that kind of normal speed - not that it sounds like it's struggling but you know what I mean? Also I've noticed a couple of times when merging onto the highway sometimes the gears take a while to go from 4 to 5 to 6. Like it'll stay stuck on 4 until I slow down and rev up again. Has anyone else had this issue? I bought the bike almost two years ago with 300+ miles on it, it's got maybe about 3000 now. Just took it in for an oil change for the season so I've been riding it well. Does the timing need to be adjusted?
Are you in sport mode? On my 2014 it is often reluctant to upshift while under moderate acceleration. A little finger action is needed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Are you in sport mode? On my 2014 it is often reluctant to upshift while under moderate acceleration. A little finger action is needed.
Nope, so I ended up figuring it out in a few posts back. Basically the instrument cluster is no good but the engine is fine and it can go highway speeds without an issue. I'll just have to get the panel replaced. The part itself is quite expensive so I'll have to do it later since I'm getting my forks rebuilt now.

·
Registered
866 Posts
If you were to add a GPS to the bike you would know your speed from it. I can't see where the lack of RPM display would hinder your ride at all. I change gears by the sweet sound of the engine. Just a suggestion, if you don't want to spend the bucks on a new display Once used to the GPS,I rarely look at the speedo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
If you were to add a GPS to the bike you would know your speed from it. I can't see where the lack of RPM display would hinder your ride at all. I change gears by the sweet sound of the engine. Just a suggestion, if you don't want to spend the bucks on a new display Once used to the GPS,I rarely look at the speedo.
Haha, gotta love the sounds of the engine - even more now that I know it's not being cranked up more than it should. The display itself actually still works so I can tell the speed, it's just the tachometer part on the display bugging out. Next I need to look into a good power distributor to hook up all those good things.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Haha, gotta love the sounds of the engine - even more now that I know it's not being cranked up more than it should. The display itself actually still works so I can tell the speed, it's just the tachometer part on the display bugging out. <Snip> ....
JSYK, at my age the indications on the tach bar are not easily discerned. Ever since 1958 when I first started riding, my ears have told me when to shift and that's one of the few body parts that still work pretty good. 😎

·
Registered
987 Posts
Put a piece of tape over the rpm's, ride it, and when you finally feel you need to change it, do so. Whether you go through Ebay or new (you can shop new online for discounts) do your own labor. This is an easy fix.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Put a piece of tape over the rpm's, ride it, and when you finally feel you need to change it, do so. Whether you go through Ebay or new (you can shop new online for discounts) do your own labor. This is an easy fix.
Yes indeed! As soon as I get it back I'll have some much needed ride therapy. Yeah, I put the OEM saddlebags on myself and anything else should be able to come easy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
After speaking with the service guy yesterday I almost gave up my stimulus check I still haven't received yet. He said it was $350 for the part (instrument cluster) plus $125 for labor/installation, which would have brought my total, including fork rebuild, to about $1100! Yeah no thanks. I'll buy the part later when I'm able to and install it myself. Sheesh. Now just waiting who knows how long to get my bike back after repair. I also was looking into the Triumph fork protectors that I did order from BikeBandit but they just emailed me this morning and said it's been discontinued. I've been scouring the internet but to no avail, can't seem to find it. Any recommendations for an alternate fork protector?

61 - 80 of 91 Posts