CTX 700 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The problem is if you can't do it yourself, then you are stuck. There are suppose to be hour guides for this, I have never known them to take less, but they have taken more.
Well I also called this guy I know who works on bikes out of his own shop. I text him thinking he can give me a good deal because he has none of the overhead. Then he quotes me $650!!! I was like...yeah...ha...ha...I guess I'll call you after I get my stimulus check...cough

·
Registered
799 Posts
I just take it to a repair shop I trust. I have no choice, I have to pay, but at least it will be done right. They did a good job on lowering my bike, and getting the fuel pump and computer part changed out. Costly, but still working. What I can do safely I do myself.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well I also called this guy I know who works on bikes out of his own shop. I text him thinking he can give me a good deal because he has none of the overhead. Then he quotes me $650!!! I was like...yeah...ha...ha...I guess I'll call you after I get my stimulus check...cough
Possibly once you see what it’s going to cost for the meter the leaky fork seal cost will be out of the question. A leaky fork seal is something you can live with for a while so long as it is not excessive and there is nothing like a grain of sand caught between the seal and tube gouging the tube. The question is why they are leaking. Are the tubes scratched or pitted, new seals won’t cure this. Is there dirt build up between the seal and tube preventing a proper seal? Attached is a simple tool to clean the seal and possibly solve the problem if it is a simple as dirt buildup between the seal and tube. Patronize your local Cycle Gear to help keep them in business and spend $7.50 on a Motion Pro Seal Mate. The gamble is spending $7.50 to save $489.00. You could probably make one out of a soda bottle at no cost.
Motion Pro Seal Mate Fork Seal Cleaner - Cycle Gear

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Possibly once you see what it’s going to cost for the meter the leaky fork seal cost will be out of the question. A leaky fork seal is something you can live with for a while so long as it is not excessive and there is nothing like a grain of sand caught between the seal and tube gouging the tube. The question is why they are leaking. Are the tubes scratched or pitted, new seals won’t cure this. Is there dirt build up between the seal and tube preventing a proper seal? Attached is a simple tool to clean the seal and possibly solve the problem if it is a simple as dirt buildup between the seal and tube. Patronize your local Cycle Gear to help keep them in business and spend $7.50 on a Motion Pro Seal Mate. The gamble is spending $7.50 to save $489.00. You could probably make one out of a soda bottle at no cost.
Motion Pro Seal Mate Fork Seal Cleaner - Cycle Gear
Truth be told I actually tried this with the Sealmate last year but it still keeps leaking. There looks to be a small indent where the fork meats the seal so the method you suggested didn't work. The seal caps are also starting to show signs of wear and tear, you can see the cracks going around the form. Sadly you might be right about the cost for the meter. It's been two days since I dropped the bike off - he said they're waiting to hear back from Honda. It's like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. I suppose I could go without the meter because they said the engine/DCT is not the issue so it's still ride-able on the highway even if it shows RPMs up high. Then again knowing that I got the bike used with only 300 miles on it less than two years ago (it's got about 4000+ now) from a guy who rarely used it and had it garage kept the fork seals might have gone because of that too. Can't win!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sometimes the worst abuse of a machine is to let it sit with no use. New seals won’t cure the indent in the fork tube. There are YouTube videos of people who have used epoxy to fill the imperfections in the tube and stop the leaks. Not sure what the call to Honda is all about? These meters are usually disposable and not worth the labor to repair. Honda probably buys these from a supplier by the thousands for $10.00 a piece. Possibly they are looking for some guidance on how to proceed because they really have no idea what the problem is. This is about the most low tech cheapest meter you can find on a bike and you can find a meter with the same bells and whistles, made in China on EBay for $40.00 retail. These items are cheap to Honda and rarely go bad so maybe they are hoping Honda might just say replace it at their cost. Expect a miracle!!

Multi-functions LCD Motorcycle Speedometer Odometer RPM Speed Fuel Gauge Kph Mph | eBay

·
Registered
799 Posts
They always call Honda, to check if they have a problem downstream from the meter. Since they also can only use Honda parts, they have to have one shipped from who knows where. Honda, like many other manufacturers no longer keep a large stock of anything nationwide, and the dealers are basically empty of except for oils and filters, that are a daily service. For some reason if you are on the east coast, they have to get it from the west, and if you are one the west coast it comes from the east. No figuring that out. An more often than not it has to be shipped in from whereever the bike is originally manufactured, (Korea, Japan, SE Asia). It took over three weeks to get the fuel pump and controller from Honda and less than a couple of hours to install.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Be careful. Non Honda dealers do not have the computer access to the ECM for viewing codes or resetting/reflashing that the dealers have.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Stimulus check, what stimulus check. Still waiting and it is supposed to be deposited direct.
We didn't get one so my wife went online. They said that they don't have our direct deposit info, but we both get SS checks every month, direct deposited, and we've gotten our IRS direct deposited for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
799 Posts
We didn't get one so my wife went online. They said that they don't have our direct deposit info, but we both get SS checks every month, direct deposited, and we've gotten our IRS direct deposited for the last 5 years.
I have been hearing from those who collect SSS that they are still waiting. The IRS had my information for my bank account but I still had to go online and give it again. Doesn't surprise me. Hopeless, completely hopeless when it comes to giving money. My understanding is that those who get SS are on a different que.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Alright folks, here's an update. I just spoke to the local dealership service dept. I guess it is not as bad as I thought. He said the engine is fine, it's just the gauge that is causing the issue. Basically it's only showing the RPMs are maxing out even though they really aren't. Also, he quoted me for the fork seals rebuild at $489. I needed to get it done so I suppose might as well get that taken care of before it becomes an issue down the road (pun intended). Still waiting for the estimate of the gauge repair itself because he's waiting for a call back from Honda.
If they can get Honda to pay for the gauge issue, (warranty?) maybe ok to bite bullet on fork seals...(& they will have to stand behind their work for some period of time).

·
Registered
799 Posts
Is the bike still in warranty? Hopefully. Honda new gauge costs approx 317.95 to 340.95. I doubt whether they will install a used unit, liability or anything not from Honda direct. Ebay used 129.00 or new Honda 2014-2018 CTX Combination Meter 37100-mjf-306 OEM Honda oem part Honda 2014-2018 CTX Combination Meter 37100-mjf-306 OEM for sale online | eBay. They may be willing to order from another Honda dealer however $243.00 Honda CTX700 METER ASSEMBLY, COMBINATION - 37100-MJF-306 | Southern Honda Powersports, Chattanooga TN

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have been hearing from those who collect SSS that they are still waiting. The IRS had my information for my bank account but I still had to go online and give it again. Doesn't surprise me. Hopeless, completely hopeless when it comes to giving money. My understanding is that those who get SS are on a different que.
I just went on the IRS website and it said my tax information from 2018 (haven't filed 2019 yet) doesn't match their system. Then it said I was out of tries for the day to update my bank information and I have to try again in 24 hrs. Lord have mercy...
Those checks are still waiting somewhere in the White House for the President to sign them on the memo line. (I think he may be golfing @ Camp David this weekend) Blame Steven Mnuchin 'cause he said the signature was his idea!?!
What The Heck?:sick: How did we ever get into this mess...that has been growing for decades? Perhaps because (long ago?) we allowed political parties to form...o_O:eek::devilish::cry:(n)
Keep us posted & good luck: forwarduntodawn.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I had to update my bank info since I have been paying taxes for the last 5 years (This year... 5.1K - nice tax cuts, LOL)
Anyway, we did get ours May 1st.

·
Registered
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 2018 Kawasaki X300
48 Posts
Those checks are still waiting somewhere in the White House for the President to sign them on the memo line. (I think he may be golfing @ Camp David this weekend) Blame Steven Mnuchin 'cause he said the signature was his idea!?!
What The Heck?:sick: How did we ever get into this mess...that has been growing for decades? Perhaps because (long ago?) we allowed political parties to form...o_O:eek::devilish::cry:(n)
Keep us posted & good luck: forwarduntodawn.
We received our direct deposits on April 14th. My daughter and son also received theirs at the same time. It probably helps that we file as early as possible each year and get a refund, so our bank routing information is current with the IRS. Since there are no paper checks their is no signature but last week we did receive letters from the IRS detailing the reason for the deposit and the legislation that approved it. That letter was signed by President Trump. If you have been paying additional taxes with your return for the last two years or have not had a refund the time for deposit will necessarily be longer. There is a process to expedite the deposit by going online and filling in certain information with the IRS. Best of luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
If they can get Honda to pay for the gauge issue, (warranty?) maybe ok to bite bullet on fork seals...(& they will have to stand behind their work for some period of time).
Yeah way past the warranty. It's a 2014 plus I'm not sure those extended warranty plans you get from a 3rd party are that good anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Is the bike still in warranty? Hopefully. Honda new gauge costs approx 317.95 to 340.95. I doubt whether they will install a used unit, liability or anything not from Honda direct. Ebay used 129.00 or new Honda 2014-2018 CTX Combination Meter 37100-mjf-306 OEM Honda oem part Honda 2014-2018 CTX Combination Meter 37100-mjf-306 OEM for sale online | eBay. They may be willing to order from another Honda dealer however $243.00 Honda CTX700 METER ASSEMBLY, COMBINATION - 37100-MJF-306 | Southern Honda Powersports, Chattanooga TN
Nope not under any warranty, it's a 2014 and as I replied to someone else, I wouldn't buy one of those 3rd party extended warranty things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I had to update my bank info since I have been paying taxes for the last 5 years (This year... 5.1K - nice tax cuts, LOL)
Anyway, we did get ours May 1st.
The IRS website asks me to update my bank info, which I did. I haven't filed my 2019 taxes yet but used 2018 return and the system says it doesn't match the information they have on file. WTF, why does that matter!? As long as you have my current information then just send the money!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yeah way past the warranty. It's a 2014 plus I'm not sure those extended warranty plans you get from a 3rd party are that good anyway.
Nope not under any warranty, it's a 2014 and as I replied to someone else, I wouldn't buy one of those 3rd party extended warranty things.
I was thinking of the customer asking their dealer to request a "GoodWill" offer from the manufacturer...sometimes a longshot, but customer has nothing to lose by politely speaking up.;) (I've avoided 3rd party warranties on just about anything)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I was thinking of the customer asking their dealer to request a "GoodWill" offer from the manufacturer...sometimes a longshot, but customer has nothing to lose by politely speaking up.;)
Haha, I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to talk to the guy in person and see what's going on. They have a Honda service center at their dealership so at least they work on the brand specifically. The place is Cross Country Powersports in NJ.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts