CTX 700 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also took a few years off from riding... sold my last bike in 1972, bought my next one (current CTX700) in 2017....yeah, a 45 year break. I'm not overweight, exercise regularly and am in pretty good shape, but still was exhausted after riding again for even a short ride. Mostly arms, neck and shoulders. I was tense, plus the wind takes some getting used to even with a tall screen. I considered giving it up. Started limiting rides to less than an hour, lower speeds and more parking lot practice for control on turns. Took me a good 6 months to get into riding shape. Still not sure how much was physical and how much was mental. I'm old enough now (68) to be nervous even when I don't want to be. I think that had a lot to do with my fatigue, which was probably a good thing. Not saying everyone has this same relearning curve, but bet it's not that uncommon. I also felt that after a few months I was pretty comfortable on the bike with the stock seat and pegs. Glad I didn't change too many things too quickly till I adjusted back to riding.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
633 Posts
A lot of people talk about the wind fatigue issue. The old Cee Bailey windshields came in multiple sizes, and I found the 23" worked for me, but now that CB is defunct, no other makers provide a similar sized windshield. Many get windshield extenders to add wind deflection to the top of the windshield, you could try that.

The pegs are talked about a lot, too. Many of us have opted for floorboards or miniboards to improve foot comfort. (I have Kuryakyn 4357 floorboards with 8863 splines on my bike, I love 'em.)

With my combo of winshield, Corbin seat and floorboards I can take off in the morning and ride comfortably until sunset.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey gang. I'm new to this forum, having last ridden back in 2008. I'm older (52 now) and fatter [REDACTED :cautious:] than I was the last time I was on two wheels. For the last few months, I've been mainlining YouTube m/c content and itching to get back into it. I took delivery of a 2017 CTX700 DCT with 1,500 miles on it last Saturday, 4/30/2022.

I've had my Class M since the late 80s and have ridden everything from a mid-80s Kawi 400 street bike (which I rode in the woods during my high school days because I didn't have a dirt bike), to a Suzuki Katana, to a series of early 2000s Kawasakis -- Vulcan Classic, Nomad 1600 and a Concours 1000. Top-heavy, buzzy and blue, that carbureted old Connie is the one I still dream about. The CTX700 fits that entry level affordable sport tourer niche rather perfectly.

The stealership experience in Phoenix is a nightmare. Almost all of them have been bought up by the national chain RideNow. I found my CTX at one of the few non-chain places and made a deal... Including the addition of OEM hard bags. The dealership told me it'd be no problem getting the bags and I even delayed delivery, giving them time to install the bags. I signed on a Friday. They said they'd have the bags the following Tuesday or Wednesday and I drove my cage home happy.

After a week of radio silence, the dealer now says they can't find the bags and wanted me to re-sign the deal, removing the cost of the bags and lowering my monthly. Yes, I know, financing accessories is dumb... But I thought it'd be easy and I planned to pay the bike off in a year anyway. Bottom line tho, I imagined this bike as a commuter and wouldn't have bought it without bags. I re-signed and took delivery.

I've been riding for a few days now. I'd forgotten how physically taxing riding can be. My legs/hips hurt from squeezing the tank. My back hurts from being too heavy for the CTX suspension. It's hot AF riding in suburban Phoenix -- and we haven't even had our first triple-digit high yet. In short, the romantic notion of fit people riding fast bikes on YouTube hasn't translated at all to the reality of my experience of aching, sweating, and juggling 3 vehicles in a 2 car garage.

I admitted to my dad that if I could snap my fingers and undo all of this, I would in a heartbeat. Has anyone else gone through this? Can you relate? All advice welcome... Or just tell me I'm being a big baby. Talk to me.
Hey gang. I'm new to this forum, having last ridden back in 2008. I'm older (52 now) and fatter [REDACTED :cautious:] than I was the last time I was on two wheels. For the last few months, I've been mainlining YouTube m/c content and itching to get back into it. I took delivery of a 2017 CTX700 DCT with 1,500 miles on it last Saturday, 4/30/2022.

I've had my Class M since the late 80s and have ridden everything from a mid-80s Kawi 400 street bike (which I rode in the woods during my high school days because I didn't have a dirt bike), to a Suzuki Katana, to a series of early 2000s Kawasakis -- Vulcan Classic, Nomad 1600 and a Concours 1000. Top-heavy, buzzy and blue, that carbureted old Connie is the one I still dream about. The CTX700 fits that entry level affordable sport tourer niche rather perfectly.

The stealership experience in Phoenix is a nightmare. Almost all of them have been bought up by the national chain RideNow. I found my CTX at one of the few non-chain places and made a deal... Including the addition of OEM hard bags. The dealership told me it'd be no problem getting the bags and I even delayed delivery, giving them time to install the bags. I signed on a Friday. They said they'd have the bags the following Tuesday or Wednesday and I drove my cage home happy.

After a week of radio silence, the dealer now says they can't find the bags and wanted me to re-sign the deal, removing the cost of the bags and lowering my monthly. Yes, I know, financing accessories is dumb... But I thought it'd be easy and I planned to pay the bike off in a year anyway. Bottom line tho, I imagined this bike as a commuter and wouldn't have bought it without bags. I re-signed and took delivery.

I've been riding for a few days now. I'd forgotten how physically taxing riding can be. My legs/hips hurt from squeezing the tank. My back hurts from being too heavy for the CTX suspension. It's hot AF riding in suburban Phoenix -- and we haven't even had our first triple-digit high yet. In short, the romantic notion of fit people riding fast bikes on YouTube hasn't translated at all to the reality of my experience of aching, sweating, and juggling 3 vehicles in a 2 car garage.

I admitted to my dad that if I could snap my fingers and undo all of this, I would in a heartbeat. Has anyone else gone through this? Can you relate? All advice welcome... Or just tell me I'm being a big baby. Talk to me.
G'day,
I'm in my 60's. Hip pain is often alleviated in time by 2 easy seated exercises. Sit in a kitchen chair upright, squeeze a medium-sized ball/cat/cushion firmly between knees (yours) for several seconds the slowly release/breathe. 2 sets x 12 reps. This strengthens hip adductors.
For hip abductors, close knees, stretch a theraband and lock over knees, open knees against the resistance and slowly close. Also seated and upright.
Give us a shout for any more.
Cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
I lived in Phoenix 15 years, and the first and last time I rode in 108° I found that I was cooler if I covered up, as counterintuitive as that may seem. Purchased my CTX at Go AZ in Scottsdale, where they made a laughable halfhearted attempt to charge way more than sticker; we came to acceptable terms.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts