CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700 DCT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang. I'm new to this forum, having last ridden back in 2008. I'm older (52 now) and fatter [REDACTED :cautious:] than I was the last time I was on two wheels. For the last few months, I've been mainlining YouTube m/c content and itching to get back into it. I took delivery of a 2017 CTX700 DCT with 1,500 miles on it last Saturday, 4/30/2022.

I've had my Class M since the late 80s and have ridden everything from a mid-80s Kawi 400 street bike (which I rode in the woods during my high school days because I didn't have a dirt bike), to a Suzuki Katana, to a series of early 2000s Kawasakis -- Vulcan Classic, Nomad 1600 and a Concours 1000. Top-heavy, buzzy and blue, that carbureted old Connie is the one I still dream about. The CTX700 fits that entry level affordable sport tourer niche rather perfectly.

The stealership experience in Phoenix is a nightmare. Almost all of them have been bought up by the national chain RideNow. I found my CTX at one of the few non-chain places and made a deal... Including the addition of OEM hard bags. The dealership told me it'd be no problem getting the bags and I even delayed delivery, giving them time to install the bags. I signed on a Friday. They said they'd have the bags the following Tuesday or Wednesday and I drove my cage home happy.

After a week of radio silence, the dealer now says they can't find the bags and wanted me to re-sign the deal, removing the cost of the bags and lowering my monthly. Yes, I know, financing accessories is dumb... But I thought it'd be easy and I planned to pay the bike off in a year anyway. Bottom line tho, I imagined this bike as a commuter and wouldn't have bought it without bags. I re-signed and took delivery.

I've been riding for a few days now. I'd forgotten how physically taxing riding can be. My legs/hips hurt from squeezing the tank. My back hurts from being too heavy for the CTX suspension. It's hot AF riding in suburban Phoenix -- and we haven't even had our first triple-digit high yet. In short, the romantic notion of fit people riding fast bikes on YouTube hasn't translated at all to the reality of my experience of aching, sweating, and juggling 3 vehicles in a 2 car garage.

I admitted to my dad that if I could snap my fingers and undo all of this, I would in a heartbeat. Has anyone else gone through this? Can you relate? All advice welcome... Or just tell me I'm being a big baby. Talk to me.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
I don't find riding the DCT to be taxing at all. Just the opposite really. You shouldn't have a death grip on the bike with any part of your body.

I hear you on the weather thing, I don't ride without full gear so it's that much hotter.

But I only see 2 real options: Work on your physical condition or sell the bike. Good news is that you shouldn't have much trouble selling a DCT model as people are always looking for them.

Good luck in whatever you decide ✌

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll take a stab at it. First, welcome aboard the board Carmanjelo! You're feeling what you're feeling and that is real and not imagined.

The luggage space (or lack thereof) issue can be resolved (side cases, top case etc.). That's a "once and done" issue.

The ambient temps you live in can't be changed. Perhaps different riding gear would help but heat is heat.

Can't speak to the "tank squeezing" soreness you're experiencing in your legs and hips. This might resolve itself as you adjust to your new ride or perhaps through changing your riding position? ... or not. Your back soreness ... is it your riding position, your weight or the poor dampening of the bike? All can be resolved, to an extent, through foot peg relocation and changing out the seat i.e. 2014 seats were lower, then there are aftermarket options like Corbin etc.

Sounds like a better choice for your overall riding needs may have been a maxi-scooter ... perhaps a Suzuki Burgman 650/400 or Honda Silverwing 600. Lots of standard storage and more with add-ons, no tank to squeeze, a perfect commuter machine and the suspensions should be OK on all but if not, there are upgrades available.

Did you try ANY other bikes before settling on this one?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome and I'm sorry your having such a rough time.

My back hurt from the stock seat. Fixed that with a standard Corbin. (I'm tall.) Got Shad side cases for cargo. I do commute on my bike; I just throw my purse in one case and my lunch in the other. My helmet stays in the side case while I'm at work.

I also bought a mesh jacket and I've really been happy with that in the warmer temps.

It's up to you to decide if you want to make this bike work for you, or of another bike is a better choice. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey gang. I'm new to this forum, having last ridden back in 2008. I'm older (52 now) and fatter [REDACTED :cautious:] than I was the last time I was on two wheels. For the last few months, I've been mainlining YouTube m/c content and itching to get back into it. I took delivery of a 2017 CTX700 DCT with 1,500 miles on it last Saturday, 4/30/2022.

I've had my Class M since the late 80s and have ridden everything from a mid-80s Kawi 400 street bike (which I rode in the woods during my high school days because I didn't have a dirt bike), to a Suzuki Katana, to a series of early 2000s Kawasakis -- Vulcan Classic, Nomad 1600 and a Concours 1000. Top-heavy, buzzy and blue, that carbureted old Connie is the one I still dream about. The CTX700 fits that entry level affordable sport tourer niche rather perfectly.

The stealership experience in Phoenix is a nightmare. Almost all of them have been bought up by the national chain RideNow. I found my CTX at one of the few non-chain places and made a deal... Including the addition of OEM hard bags. The dealership told me it'd be no problem getting the bags and I even delayed delivery, giving them time to install the bags. I signed on a Friday. They said they'd have the bags the following Tuesday or Wednesday and I drove my cage home happy.

After a week of radio silence, the dealer now says they can't find the bags and wanted me to re-sign the deal, removing the cost of the bags and lowering my monthly. Yes, I know, financing accessories is dumb... But I thought it'd be easy and I planned to pay the bike off in a year anyway. Bottom line tho, I imagined this bike as a commuter and wouldn't have bought it without bags. I re-signed and took delivery.

I've been riding for a few days now. I'd forgotten how physically taxing riding can be. My legs/hips hurt from squeezing the tank. My back hurts from being too heavy for the CTX suspension. It's hot AF riding in suburban Phoenix -- and we haven't even had our first triple-digit high yet. In short, the romantic notion of fit people riding fast bikes on YouTube hasn't translated at all to the reality of my experience of aching, sweating, and juggling 3 vehicles in a 2 car garage.

I admitted to my dad that if I could snap my fingers and undo all of this, I would in a heartbeat. Has anyone else gone through this? Can you relate? All advice welcome... Or just tell me I'm being a big baby. Talk to me.
hi, this is mark in mesa. i've had my 2014 ctx700n for 5 months and 2700 miles. i enjoy riding this one as much if not more than almost any of the 2 dozen bikes i've had in my 60 years of riding. 3 goldwings, 4 vulcans, 6 xs650's, many hondas, and a '91 concours. when new to me they all seemed a little strange but they all became more enjoyable as the miles rolled up. even here in mesa(yeah i know it's HOT). perhaps if you were riding with other riders you would become more tolerant of the few downsides of riding here in arizona. there are many clubs around that might make your time on your bike more fun. check them out. ps: i bought mine from a non-chain place as well. glad i did. most of the dealers here are idiots. take care, mark in mesa

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
650Mark is right on the money.
I am 66 and I had all the issues getting used to my first CTX when I got it. I am tall, and I thought the seat was too low. I learned to get used to the seat in a week and love it. I did get a Seth Lam seat. Much more comfort. So much better for me. I too am quite a bit bigger than ever before. And at my age, things hurt, or tweak or twinge more than before. But I love this bike. The set back seating position is like a Harley, or much like my 1999 Nomad 1500.
I had Honda OEM bags on my first CTX but I got aftermarket for my second. They are less expensive and just fine.
I do enjoying playing with the bike. I put on all my accessories and additions. My wife rides with me most all the time, except when I commute to work. And every once in a while I ride with a few buddies just to check out a new cigar salon or sandwich shop.
I guess the point is, give it some time. Get a properly vented jacket, and ride. Just put on a few miles.
You will find the isometric exercises we have to do just to ride will take about 12 pounds off. The tight arms, straight back, and legs up and down for stops. All that muscular contraction you don't do when driving is feeling a bit rough now, but will really help you later.
Don't give up. All the reasons you remember for riding will show up again soon.
and you have a great bike to get started again. Especially for us "more experienced" riders.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700 DCT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Much appreciated.

I get that my original post is whiny. I'm going to try to give it some time and power through. As Ross said, I imagine my body will acclimate to the new positions I'm putting it in riding. When I said "hugging the tank" up above, I didn't mean like a tucked in squid at track day. I just meant keeping my knees against it so I'm not spread eagle in the wind. I feel it in the hips and knees before I'm even out of the neighborhood.

To answer Nela Skul's question, other bikes considered were the CTX1300. There are a handful in PHX at different RideNow dealerships. After driving 65 minutes to see one in another part of town only to be told "It's in the back" when I got there, I moved on. Also at RideNow, I almost pulled the trigger on a 2022 Kawasaki (always partial to them) Versys 650. More colossally bad service at RideNow killed that one, too.

I'm hoping a couple of weeks of adjusting will get me in a better headspace. I've already swapped out the stock exhaust for a shorty from Radiant Cycles. It sounds amazing -- borderline too loud. I also added some Kuryakyn mini floorboards. Will look into a replacement seat if I decide to stick with it long term.

Thanks for the kind words, Mark and Jennifer!

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
331 Posts
As one that didn’t start riding until a few years ago, at age 44, AND being a big guy, I would say you are going through “new rider” pains, but being older and bigger we feel them more. Fortunately this bike has better ergonomics than my first bike, so I’m willing to bet that you’ll adjust fairly quickly, depending on how much you actually ride. Daily riding, I’d imagine you’ll be sorted in a week or so, probably less. Welcome to the group!

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
2015 & later CTX 700 seats force the rider closer to the "tank". This benefits shorter inseams such as 30" or less...but is really bothersome for those with longer legs...I had tailbone/lower back pain, till I switched to a '14 seat. Now, the ergonomics of my bike fit me well. Keeping my limbs & hands somewhat relaxed, drop the elbows, no tenseness, helps the bike to maintain it's natural two wheeled balance & more comfort for me.
You might enjoy mcrider.com, membership optional. Best Wishes!(y)

Here in the IE of SoCal, summer is not my riding season, which sadly, will be mostly over before long.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts

Hi C,

I get it. The CTX DCT is a good bike but needs mods to make it a great bike. Consider what I did: 1: Crank down the spanner nuts on the rear shock all the way to give you a much better ride. 2. Get Rox Risers so you do not have to lean so far forward. 3. Get a Russell Day Long Seat, much more comfortable than all other seats available. Good luck.
Red Rider

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome aboard. I bought my CTX while we were in Phoenix in March (our home is in south Texas). I have been riding for 55 years, but due to a deteriorating hip, the last 9 of those were on scooters. A hip replacement allowed me to toss a leg over a motorcycle again, which led me to the CTX. I have both the OEM seat and a Corbin (low) seat and find the Corbin significantly more comfortable. That said, there was a period of adjustment going from a Vespa GTS 300 to the CTX - most notably: my hips and inner thighs ached for the first few days. To the point where I wondered if I had made an error in judgment in getting the CTX. That went away after a week or so of riding.

The onboard storage on any bike needs to be considered. I have a Givi Blade top case on my CTX; it holds about the same as the underseat and top case combined that I had on the Vespa. I like to have a place to keep my full face helmet, a tire repair kit, gloves, a rainsuit, and a few other things - the top case is a good solution for my use. I chose to not put on saddlebags. The Honda saddlebags look great, but aren't wide enough to hold a full face helmet - you have options.

Like Arizona, it is hot in south Texas. The main difference being the humidity: yours is generally 30% or lower (other than monsoon season), where ours is typically around 12,000%. Yes, I'm kidding - is is more like 14,000%. Hot and sweaty. I use armored mesh gear, pants and a shirt. Still, it's warm when you aren't moving. Each person has to decide what gear to wear for comfort and protection.

"Older" is perspective. I have scar tissue older than you. When I'm riding, there are some days I feel like a kid of 59 again. :ROFLMAO: Give it some time. If you decide it isn't for you, you sell the bike and move on. Any money spent consider "tuition": the price you pay to learn something.

Good luck with the riding and the decisions.

·
Registered
2016 CTX-700D Grey Blue Metallic
14 Posts
HI! I just bought my 2016 CTX700 last summer. I like riding it a lot. I think I read on this forum about the tire pressure. Under 200 lbs, 32 psi front & rear. But over 200 lbs (rider & gear), make the rear psi 42. That might help your back a little?

I too was disappointed not to be able to have the OEM bags. I'm shopping around for something that I like instead. I ride my bike to commute in the good weather (I'm in NY state), so I need something to carry my lunch or whatever. There were some OEM bags on ebay in the blue-gray color for $400, but now I don't see them. You might find some if you keep an eye out.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
IMO the factory bags are not very practical. If you really want useable capacity aftermarket is the way to go.

A top case is what I use for commuting and helmet storage. You can get a ~50 litre top case for like $50 which can be attached to the factory rear rack.

Mutazu makes a variety of bags that can be easily adapted to the JFC brackets. Cost effective and practical. Search "mutazu hard saddlebags" for some examples.

Reactions: huklbery

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
HI! I just bought my 2016 CTX700 last summer. I like riding it a lot. I think I read on this forum about the tire pressure. Under 200 lbs, 32 psi front & rear. But over 200 lbs (rider & gear), make the rear psi 42. That might help your back a little?

I too was disappointed not to be able to have the OEM bags. I'm shopping around for something that I like instead. I ride my bike to commute in the good weather (I'm in NY state), so I need something to carry my lunch or whatever. There were some OEM bags on ebay in the blue-gray color for $400, but now I don't see them. You might find some if you keep an eye out.
I agree with Tony about the top box. Givi makes a good line of top boxes in many sizes at reasonable price. It's easier to carry things including your jacket and helmet. And with the universal mount, the whole box detaches easily for carry with, or removal when not needed. I do have a pair of small Mutazu bags I use to carry my tool kit, rain gear, etc. but the top box is the shopping/commuting/lunch for day trip carrier.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
633 Posts
Lots of good advice above. I guess it's going to be up to you if you want to put some money into modding the bike (seat, bars, floorboards, shocks, windshield) to make it fit you, or more on to another ride.

For what it's worth, the CTX700 wasn't a perfect fit for me either (at a hair under 6'2" and 200+), but a better seat with the waterfall moved back gave me more legroom and allowed me to find a comfortable position for my legs, not too splayed out into the wind. Floorboards made it much more comfortable for my legs too... even a seat pad could help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the OEM saddlebags. A big PITA. Not much storage space either. I did install a Givi E450 45L top case. Now I can carry stuff. Good luck and finding what you want.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts