CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RideApart Review: Honda CTX700

Tim Watson, Orange County, CA — Every motorcycle manufacturer would like to sell more bikes. So Honda is going down a route to actively try and encourage novice riders into the motorcycle world with the launch of its Honda CTX700 range. But are low prices, automatic transmissions and easy riding positions enough to bring a new generation of motorcyclists beating a path to Honda’s door?

What’s New:
It was at the 2013 Chicago International Motorcycle Show in February, Honda unveiled four versions of the CTX700 with its rubber-mounted, liquid-cooled 670cc parallel twin engine. Included in the line-up is a pair of naked versions CTX700N and CTX700ND and then fairing-equipped CTX700 and CTX700D. The ‘D’ stands for Dual Clutch Transmission and is offered along with ABS as standard fit on just two of the four CTX models.

Essentially the CTX is a variation of the Honda NC700X platform, but has been designed as a reliable, starter bike and specifically aimed at getting new riders on to motorcycles for the first time at an affordable price in a cruiser-style package.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Love how we get a DCT transmission, best addition yet. A couple must have's for this bike is ABS and DCT can't really see myself getting the basemodel CTX700.

Would anyone here not want to get a CTX700D with ABS?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
That's what I'm looking at. Have been riding a SH150 for 2 years and love what it can do but want more for wandering further afield. When I took the Basic Rider course I was NEVER comfortable with the clutch. If this bike is a fit in the ergos then I will increase my stable. Won't get rid of the SH as it get 80mpg. Hoping the lower cc's and ABS will help with the insurance over a Shadow Aero that I got a quote on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been reading all the reviews and they all seem to be pretty impressed. The one criticism is it may not appeal to more experienced riders. I am pretty new to motorcycles. My worry about about buying the CTX is I might grow tired of it and want more power.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
@Twin
You might want more power later or you might not. You would not be the first rider to do so. Most riders end up buying more bikes. Some hit their comfort zone and stay there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would consider myself a seasoned rider, I have had more than 20 motorcycles in my riding career, and have ridden for many years and many different style bikes.

While a more powerful bike can be fun, I have found that if you have the Extra power you will use it, and probably use it often, and ride fast and fast always pushing faster until something scares you into slowing down or a Ticket or loss of license occurs, I am not going to mention any other potentials that can happen.

The CTX700 is plenty powerful enough.

It is considerably more powerful/faster than any standard economy car, Civic or Corolla, Fit.

With plenty of extra passing power

My bike get up to 70-80 mph pretty quick, quick enough

It is a Fun bike to ride, this is because it is a No Non-sense bike, everything work very well and it is a very balanced bike, brakes, handling and power are all balanced together

I mean Really how fast can you ride, unless you are out of town, all it take is gravel out on the road around a blind curve and you are down.

Or is it quick acceleration, this bike is fairly quick, and still got me more than 80 mpg on my first tank of gas and that was not babying it, i was riding it normally.

true the CTX700 is Lower than NC700X(i have never scraped on my NC700X) and you may scrape some, so what, once that wears down you are good to go

The CTX is a great bike that, is not a dragster, it is not a sport bike.

What the CTX700 is, is a, Great commuter bike, see the sights, a cruiser, a touring bike, a good handling sporty bike, that is a lot of fun to ride. oh and good gas mileage is a nice by-product of it's design

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ westgl

Have you taken the CTX cross country yet? How comfortable would you say it is for a 5 hour+ long trip?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts