CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say this is a really nice bike for city/ short trips. I purchased the bike towards the end of May and have been riding it ever since, my mileage so far is 1,300. Here are my comments:

Engine
The engine has nice response and is surprisingly powerful. The low end torque is very noticeable and even though the specs are not that impressive the bike is very fun to drive. The gas mileage gets better after 600 miles, now around 68 - 70 mpg.

Highway driving

The engine has more than enough power to keep up with cars and be able to pass trucks. The bike rides nice and smooth but does get caught in the cross winds. Any day the wind is 10 mph+ I keep my speeds between 65-70. With less windy days, speeds of 75+ are fine. The cross wind problem is damped or completely gone with a passenger. If the bike was a little heavier it would be a perfect highway cruiser. It still is a VERY NICE highway cruiser, but you have to be especially careful on windy days, but I already know everyone is :)

Handling and Suspension
Bike handles GREAT. The bike is mid weight but kind of on the lighter side, making it easy to balance and support. I think of it as handling like a rocket but drives like a cruiser. I the front pegs are somewhat close to the ground and I have only scrapped them twice around a rotary. The pegs are on a spring loaded hinge so when then to scrape it is not a problem. One riding solo the suspension is decent (I weight about 185lbs). Commonly encountered manhole covers and small/mid sized potholes are not problem

Driving with a passenger
This is where I predict a problem for certain riders. The total load capacity is only 388 lbs. When my girl and I go for a ride we total 325 lbs not counting gear; so we are very close to the limit. So for heavier folks who want to ride with a partner do not get this bike. With that said, because the suspension is not adjustable and is set to a "universal" setting, the bumps encountered on the road amplified dramatically. Maybe with a lighter couple it would not be as bad.

Backrest
I decided to purchase the backrest so the ride would be a little more comfortable for my girlfriend. It should be noted that not only do you need the backrest and the backrest bracket but you also need the inner support which is not listed as a required part. The total cost with installation was around $300 which is pretty steep considering the size of the backrest. But with the backrest my girlfriend was able to sit further back on the seat, giving her more comfort.

Seat

I have gone on a few 3+ hour rides and the seat is OK. It is not bad but it is not amazing either, you do start to feel it after an hour of riding. If Corbin comes out with a seat I probably will buy it.

Shifting
Shifting and finding neutral is very easy on this bike. In the manual it states that you should shift to 6th gear at 37 mph ?!?! However that driving under 50 mph in 6th gear (less than 3000 rpm) results in excess vibration that you can feel through out the bike. I drive in 5th up to 50 mph (3200 rpm) and shift to 6th over 50 mph you do not have this problem. Whats funny is that in gears 2 - 5 you minimal if any vibrations at lower rpm, only in 6th gear do you feel them.

Breaking

I know some people were worried about the single disk up front. The bike has great stopping power.

What I wish was different:

So far I only have two complaints

1)
The helmet lock system is horrible!!! First you have to take the seat completely off and place it on the ground and then fit your fingers between the frame and the body panel and try to hook the metal loop around the hook. One major upgrade would be to but the seat on a hinge so you do not have to take it completely off.

2)
A slightly bigger gas tank. A 5 gallon would be nice for longer rides.

3)
A little heavier to help minimize the cross wind effect.

Overall this is a great bike. I am extremely happy with my purchase and would buy another if I had too. I know that the CTX700 is the "touring" version and even with the faring the cross winds may still be a problem. If the weight limit is the same (it probably will be) the long distance travel may be a little uncomfortable about with the "universal" suspension, especially on damaged/poorly repaired concrete highways. Any way, I hope this helps if you are trying to decide if you want to purchase a CTX700N. Again I love this bike and it is a great daily commuter.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks for the review. Crosswind is something that I'll definitely take note of and watch out for once I start riding since I'll be a daily, highway rider, and I will encounter this phenomenon regularly. However, since I'm in a rural area, traffic isn't nearly as crazy and fast paced as in the cities. Folks don't run up and down the highways @ 80+ mph and swerve in and out of lanes like they do in the cities. The ratio of enforcement to driver isn't so one sided and drivers just can't get away with driving that way for long. On my normal riding routes, the speeds will range between 55-65 and that's sort of how the traffic flows, so even if I have to slow down to 60 in a 65 zone, it wouldn't be quite the hazard it would be in Atlanta or Nashville where speed limits are ignored.

I'll be getting a tail bag or roll to store the helmet. Not to worried about theft for the same reason mentioned above. Not much gang action or theft rings where I live.

The seat will probably work for my regular riding that's under 45 minutes, but that's good information to know. I saw a used NT700V with one of those Corbin seats on it yesterday. Looked really comfy and improved the looks as well.

I've already been complaining about the tank size even before owning one, but it's just something I'll have to deal with until we get a mod to install a bigger tank.

I'm a little surprised about the light weight. I figured since it was all down so low it would help stick the bike to the road better. But a light feel has advantages too, so maybe it's a good compromise.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Kl21487, nice review.

I agree with many comments you made about this new Honda.

Prospective owners have to do their homework before buying. If load capacity is important then they need to realize you usually don't find higher limits on smaller motorcycles. I consider the CTX to be a mid size to small cruiser type bike and lucky for me I will never ride double.

I have had lighter and heavier bikes and find the CTX about the same as my 400 pound Hawk with regards to wind. Also it will never cut thought side winds like my full fairing VFR did but you do get used to being blown around some as you put more miles on it. I think that had Honda made the bike heavier the motor would seem underpowered and fuel mileage would drop. I wished they had kept the weight down under 400 but the frame being steel doesn't help.

I find the suspension soft but as bad as our roads are up here, the soft setting jars me less so I will not be changing the preload on the rear shock.

I had a 5.8 gallon tank on my VFR and it got 38 miles per gallon or 220 miles range. On a ride today my CTX got 65.7 so that would give the 3.28 gal tank 215 mile range. For most riders it time to stop anyway by then. My Hawk 650 had 3.1 gal tank and got 42mpg which gave it 130.2 mile range. So I am happy with the CTX Range for my type of riding. Knowing what it takes make a gas tank, I doubt if any aftermarket ones will ever show up for the CTX.

You have over 1300 miles in a month so that's over 43 miles per day average. For Now I am averaging about 51 per day but with 105+ temps I will be reducing that real quick.

Happy riding

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!! I live in Western Massachusetts and my commute is nice farm country back roads. This past week has been nothing but thunder storms...I can't wait to go riding again.

I have attached some photos of the backrest in case anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thanks for the great review! I am still waiting for my dealer to get the bike in for my wife, and I can't wait to see how it handles compared to the NC700X.

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks kl for your great review. You refer to the suspension having no adjustment, I'd have thought it would have at least preload adjustment on the rear shock, and Bill made a remark about not changing the preload on his.

If you have a preload adjustment I'd recommend going harder by one or two clicks when carrying a pillion. I'm guessing a normal setup with possibly 5 settings and factory default #2 or #3. Going by other Hondas you would need a 'C' spanner with extension handle (for leverage) to alter preload. It really does make a difference if you increase preload when carrying a passenger.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I thought I read that this bike had no pre load adjustment built in. I assumed that meant that it doesn't have the pre load adjustment on the rear shock (with the funky wrench thingie like my scooter has), but I'm not sure. I read one review where the reviewer stated that it still handled pretty well with a pillion even with no suspension adjustment possible, but it seems to me that it would have to affect handling to some extent. It made a big difference on my scooter in the handling if I did not pre load the suspension before going 2 up.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
well appearances can be deceiving. the shock has a threaded area around the top of the shock cylinder with two large star (notched) nuts that the spring rides against. There us treaded area above and below where they are now. Most shocks I have seen like this you simply unlock the two and twist it so it puts more pressure on the spring (preload) then lock it down with the top nut.

Nowhere in the user manual or the service manual are these addressed. I think it can be preloaded but not sure how far the spring will compress. If you are going to move these I suggest no more than 1 full turn at a time with some riding in between. There is no spanner wrench in the tool kit so you might have to borrow one from a buddy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have heard several folks mention the issue of the Foot Pegs being low. Can anyone post a measurement of exactly how low they are to the ground?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I think I'm going to like the fact that they are low in comparison to some cruisers. When I sat on one, I felt more comfortable than any other bike I sat on with that low of a seat. I know some folks don't like it because they'll scrape when riding aggressively, but I don't do much of that and some reviewers state that you get quite a bit of lean before they scrape.

I guess it's relative.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i saw my first in the dealer showroom today while having windshield and crashbars installed on my shadow. it is a pretty little piece and i'm thinking hard about adding one to my stable. from one to two . . .

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I have heard several folks mention the issue of the Foot Pegs being low. Can anyone post a measurement of exactly how low they are to the ground?
In order to compare how low these are related to other bikes you need two measurements. How far they stick out from the center line, or end to end width divided by two and then the height. Reason is, the angle is different if the length is different.

Example My Harley 1200c had much wider pegs by about 2-3 inches. If they were the same distance from the ground as the CTX then when the bike is leaned over the Harley would hit before the CTX. Therefore the CTX has a higher lean angle than the Harley.

With over a 1,000 miles on my CTX with many miles on 25mph recommended twisty mountain roads at 15mph to 20mph over I have yet to drag my warning feelers that hang down below the end of the foot peg. Granted I still have chicken strips on my tires of about 3/4 of an inch.

I tend to ride these roads with the toe of my boots sticking out past the end of the pegs and I have touched my toes but not the feelers. I have also had a couple of sport bikes on these same roads and , true, they will eat the CTX for lunch. That said, the CTX is not meant to be a canyon carver and neither was the Harley. The clearance in the corners seems fine for me and I judge it to be slightly better than the Harley on the same roads. I ride about 40% on two lane mountain roads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love so many things about the bike...handling, the shifting options on the D are amazing and somewhat perfect, considering they have to have the computer make some decisions. The ability to over-ride the auto whenever and as much as you like it way cool.

the greatest negative, which has to be addressed, is the passenger ride. Seat thins toward the back and the"jarring" is too noticeable. The wife had a headache after the first ride. I'll be shopping for a fix on that immediately!
A little bigger tank would be nice since I use this daily and have to be stopping too much. I don't want to gas up every other day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great review with a lot of useful information. What surprises me about the posts here however is that people are stating that the bike has a soft suspension. With my CTX700ND, I feel every tiny bump on the road and potholes are not just uncomfortable, but a real hazard. Given how smooth the bike is in other respects, I was surprised to find this. I also don't remember that on the CTX700N that I test rode. Much different from the Vulcan EN500 I'm used to which weighs almost the same, and used to glide over those very same bumps.

I wish the bike had adjustable shocks and hope that after market offerings might be an option in the future. I'll be adjusting the preload this afternoon and hope that makes a difference. I'll report if it does, just in case this is an issue for others as well.

*** tony

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great review with a lot of useful information. What surprises me about the posts here however is that people are stating that the bike has a soft suspension. With my CTX700ND, I feel every tiny bump on the road and potholes are not just uncomfortable, but a real hazard. Given how smooth the bike is in other respects, I was surprised to find this. I also don't remember that on the CTX700N that I test rode. Much different from the Vulcan EN500 I'm used to which weighs almost the same, and used to glide over those very same bumps.

I wish the bike had adjustable shocks and hope that after market offerings might be an option in the future. I'll be adjusting the preload this afternoon and hope that makes a difference. I'll report if it does, just in case this is an issue for others as well.

*** tony
Thanks in advance for the update. :)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts

*** tony
I have had may bikes in the last few years and find it to be soft as a single rider and yes, there seems to be lack of road work done lately due to poor budget management of our leaders (sorry don't want to talk politics). I have had major spine surgery and notice how jarring bikes are believe me. There are two nuts on the rear shock but nothing in manual about moving them.

as far as the seat goes, some bikes come with better seats some don't as far a passengers go. There might be a replacement seat by a major company but only if these sell well. Most seats can be 300-400. Good luck, Maybe have a local shop rebuilt the tail section of the stock seat to improve it. As hot as it has been here, I want some sheep skin sewn in to mine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have had may bikes in the last few years and find it to be soft as a single rider and yes, there seems to be lack of road work done lately due to poor budget management of our leaders (sorry don't want to talk politics). I have had major spine surgery and notice how jarring bikes are believe me. There are two nuts on the rear shock but nothing in manual about moving them.

as far as the seat goes, some bikes come with better seats some don't as far a passengers go. There might be a replacement seat by a major company but only if these sell well. Most seats can be 300-400. Good luck, Maybe have a local shop rebuilt the tail section of the stock seat to improve it. As hot as it has been here, I want some sheep skin sewn in to mine.
Hi Bill,
The top nut is a locking nut and the lower one is a preload adjustment. Pretty awkward to get in there. Also need a special wrench... Which often comes in the tool bag w bikes I'm told. I'll let you know if I'm successful adjusting this.

Re the bike.... Doesn't feel soft to me... Maybe mine is set up differently somehow. "Soft" sounds pretty good to me...

Tony

1 - 20 of 36 Posts