CTX 700 Forum banner

Redesigned Saddlebag/Box brackets

102K views 269 replies 88 participants last post by  explorecaves 
#1 · (Edited)
I have redesigned the original brackets I had fabricated to mount Bestem 2012 boxes as saddlebags. These brackets can be adapted to mount just about any aftermarket permanently mounted hard or leather saddlebag. These brackets can also be adapted to mount detachable saddlebags/rear boxes by bolting the original mounting plates to the brackets as I did. Mushrooms and locking catch can also be installed to fit certain other systems as well. The purchaser will need to drill the saddlebag mounting holes to fit the particular bags or mounting system they choose.

These brackets are designed to bolt directly to the CTX700 (fairing model) using the existing hardware. The N model will require the inner supports, spacers, bolts and exterior grommets. Although it is not necessary, I do recommend purchasing the backrest brackets and carrier since it comes with the necessary hardware except the inner supports for the N version and it provides a much more stable base.

If any Forum members are interested, I am now selling them. The cost is $130.00 including shipping within the continental US and a small handling fee. I can only accept a check or money order. These brackets are custom fabricated by a local fabrication shop so expect 7 - 10 days for production and shipping. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or would like to order a pair.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Unfortunately there's very little if anything in it for me. I'm just doing it for forum members who would like to add other bags or boxes instead of the OEM. Nothing else out there and the CTX requires a specific one up mount custom designed to fit. Making one or two at a time isn't very business savy but it helps the local shop and it gives our members an alternative for the moment.

#10 ·
I have redesigned the original brackets I had fabricated to mount Bestem 2012 boxes as saddlebags. These brackets can be adapted to mount just about any aftermarket permanently mounted hard or leather saddlebag. These brackets can also be adapted to mount detachable saddlebags/rear boxes by bolting the original mounting plates to the brackets as I did. Mushrooms and locking catch can also be installed to fit certain other systems as well.

These brackets are designed to bolt directly to the CTX700 (fairing model) using the existing hardware. The N model will require the inner supports, spacers, bolts and exterior grommets.

If any Forum members are interested, I an now selling them. The cost is $115.00 including shipping within the continental US and a small handling fee. These brackets are custom fabricated by a local fabrication shop so expect a week or so for production and shipping. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or would like to order a pair.
Great job on the bags! Your bike has real touring capacity now. BTW, I like your windscreen, Is it a Cee Bee and what size please?

#12 ·
:)Hey JFC- take a look at my rear torpedo launchers and see if you think they could remain with your saddlebag mounts- I want to buy a pair if they will. The options with your saddlebag brackets are LIMITLESS!!!

#13 ·
I don't see why not. If you had the handholds there would be a problem. My brackets bolt on top of the OEM backrest brackets. They lay flat tilting downward at the same angle of the backrest brackets. It would also depend on how high you mount the bags and what type of bag you use. I believe the Bestems and Bestem mount would work out just fine but another brand might not. There's a lot of pics of my bike on the forum that should give you a fairly good idea of what your spacing would be.

#17 ·
JFC

Are you still making the brakets? Do I need to know what type of luggage I'll be using before I purchase your braket?:)
I am still selling them to forum members who live in the US. The brackets are made by a local fabrication/welding shop who only deals locally. The cost is $115.00 including shipping within the continental US and a small handling fee.

The brackets can be used to bolt any permanent mounted saddlebags or they can be used to bolt up other keyed on-off saddlebag/rear box conversions that use their own mounting plate. They can also be modified to fit other systems fairly easily.

The brackets will bolt directly up to the CTX700 with grab handles in the same way as the OEM saddlebag brackets. The N version will require the inner supports and additional hardware. I generally recommend buying the rear backrest brackets and rear carrier as well since these come with the additional hardware and provide a much stronger, stable base.

If your interested, send me a PM.

#18 ·
So, it looks as though the mounts come essentially blank, and you drill the guide holes based on your need. Is that about the size of it?

I'm looking at ordering a CTX700 in the manual transmission very soon. Unfortunately according to my local dealer there are only about 6 or so unsold new 2014 models in the country right now.

#19 ·
So, it looks as though the mounts come essentially blank, and you drill the guide holes based on your need. Is that about the size of it?

I'm looking at ordering a CTX700 in the manual transmission very soon. Unfortunately according to my local dealer there are only about 6 or so unsold new 2014 models in the country right now.
Yes, that's right. The bike mounting holes are pre-drilled and mount up exactly the same as the OEM saddlebag brackets. The saddlebag holes will need to be drilled by the purchaser to fit the particular bags or mounting system preferred. This also allows you some leeway to custom fit the bags based on your personal preferences..

#23 · (Edited)
Received my saddlebag supports and mounted them. They are TWICE as sturdy as they need to be! I don't know of the metal density, but they are some heavy duty supports! Most impressive, so sturdy in fact that I decided to put my hard Mutazu trunk back on my luggage rack. I am considering a pair of Mutazu hard saddlebags to mount on the supports.
The pic first pic is old, and shows the wrap around backrest which I removed. I will hunt for Mutazu bags that match

Reactions: jfc77320
#29 ·
When I originally designed the first set, I wanted to keep the bags parallel to the bike instead of angled back. I wanted to keep the cruiser look and I also wanted to access the tie down hooks. Maintenance ease was also a primary consideration. When I redesigned the brackets, other members were interested in purchasing a set and gave considerable feedback. The general consensus was to keep them at the same angle.

As to trying to bring them in closer, I have tried this on two occasions and another member has also tried this with mixed results. To do it properly, the design would need to be altered and a new jig made for the cutter. This is expensive and not worth the time and hassle. So far, everyone has been pleased with the end result so if its not broken........

#30 ·
Great job on those, hope you do well on selling them. I was looking at doing something like that till I made my Givi mounts to work. Thumbs up to you on giving people options besides the Honda units to put saddlebags on their bikes.

#31 ·
I just ordered a set which arrived yesterday. Very well made, fit & finish is very good especially considering that they are not mass produced. They weigh in at just under 5 pounds apiece because the are 5mm thick sheet steel. I can't think of what one could load into their bags that might cause these brackets to flex!

Highly recommended!:D

#32 ·
Ive got a 2014 ctx 700 Faired model and would love more info on these brackets. for ex total price and fitment

#39 ·
Will do! Thank you!

#40 ·
Brackets

Good job on the brackets. Not available to me in Canada so I will fabricate something similar but not as exotic for myself.. A simple question. To keep the bags parallel to the bike, obviously the back hole-to-bend distance must be longer than the front hole-to-bend distance. Can you let me know that difference in length. While I could figure it out why re-invent the wheel? Thanks.

#41 ·
I know the CTX isn't a dual sport, but after losing the rain covers on my soft bags somewhere between Chicago and Detroit. I decided that it was time for a better option. I wanted saddlebags/side cases that would lock and lock to the bike, and also be weatherproof. I also wanted to be able to remove them quickly without opening them. I got the idea for mounting cases like this from systems that are available for dual sport bikes. Some of you will say that these are ugly, but I actually like the way it looks. Jfc77320 sent me the brackets last week. I got the cases from MCM Electronics on sale for about $25 a piece. I spent another $100 or so on hardware. But I'm really pleased with the result. The other nice thing is that you could mount any hard bag with a flat side this way. So you could have multiple types of bags with no need to modify the brackets.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.