CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows if the Reda Gas can will fit in the stock honda saddlebags. I was trying to decide between this and the MSR fuel bottle, I am not sure of the pro's and con's of each.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Attached is a link to the dimensions of the can. You could mock up a cardboard representation of it with a cereal box. Google says the weight of a gallon of US gas is around 6 pounds. As Philipintexas said and also REDA “TIP: It is very important not to spill on the outside of the can or overfill it. If you do it is very difficult to get that gas smell off the can” If you do go with the REDA consider getting the 8 mil secondary containment bag for $1.65 each to isolate it from the rest of the contents of the saddle bag.
REDA Innovations| REDA Gas Can| REDA Gas Can Tech Spec
If you live out west and travel long distances between gas stations you might consider carrying an Armadillo bag. Legally they can’t advertise them as fuel cells but I think they would work.
Armadillo Bag™ - Giant Loop

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Attached is a link to the dimensions of the can. You could mock up a cardboard representation of it with a cereal box. Google says the weight of a gallon of US gas is around 6 pounds. As Philipintexas said and also REDA “TIP: It is very important not to spill on the outside of the can or overfill it. If you do it is very difficult to get that gas smell off the can” If you do go with the REDA consider getting the 8 mil secondary containment bag for $1.65 each to isolate it from the rest of the contents of the saddle bag.
REDA Innovations| REDA Gas Can| REDA Gas Can Tech Spec
If you live out west and travel long distances between gas stations you might consider carrying an Armadillo bag. Legally they can’t advertise them as fuel cells but I think they would work.
Armadillo Bag™ - Giant Loop
Thanks for the links. I am planning a trip from Seattle to North Carolina next year and am just exploring options at this point. I know that stations are not that far apart but I just like a little safety net in case.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Fuel bags work well strapped down. I've traveled several rides Santa Cruz California ..Maryland.
Definitely a must have for cross country adventures. You don't want o be buzzard bait in Nevada.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows if the Reda Gas can will fit in the stock honda saddlebags. I was trying to decide between this and the MSR fuel bottle, I am not sure of the pro's and con's of each.
i bought an MSR fuel bottle right after i bought my '14 ctx700n after realizing the bike holds only 3.25 gallons. i did not yet know what incredible gas mileage these things get, so i'll probably never use the msr bottle. last week on a ride from mesa arizona(elevation 1,200 ft.) up to alpine az(elevation 8,000 ft.) and doing just over 500 miles total those 2 days i got right at 80 mpg. i didn't believe it either but my riding buddy on his nc700x got the same mpg's. the local guys at bike night don't believe either of us🙄 but we've both confirmed it a couple of times now. go figure...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts