CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Had a close call last Saturday where I almost pulled out in front of a red light runner. If you pause the video at the 27 second mark and manually drag the slider you can see the driver put their hand up towards me to protect the little person sitting in the passenger seat.:):):)
View attachment 90171
Good video, thanks for sharing. So many drivers are either distracted and/or in too much of a hurry. In my city, there seems to be far fewer traffic police than we used to see, which is a likely factor for careless driving.

·
Registered
2014 CTX700N DCT
61 Posts
Had a close call last Saturday where I almost pulled out in front of a red light runner. If you pause the video at the 27 second mark and manually drag the slider you can see the driver put their hand up towards me to protect the little person sitting in the passenger seat.:):):)
View attachment 90171
I had a similar episode last week, just closer and much faster with a big suv. scary

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
339 Posts
Certain intersections are more prone to the red light runners, but every intersection deserves a pause and a check for the red light runner.

There’s one near my work where my street is the minor street crossing a major street, and the major street is running downhill from both directions into the intersection - a recipe for disaster since cars are already going faster than normal and then not wanting to brake for the changed light. If I’m at the front, I give that one 2 head checks each direction. If I’m second, I still give each direction a head check. If someone is running that light, they’re probably doing it at 70mph+, and that’ll just ruin your whole year if you don’t see them coming.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Certain intersections are more prone to the red light runners, but every intersection deserves a pause and a check for the red light runner.

There’s one near my work where my street is the minor street crossing a major street, and the major street is running downhill from both directions into the intersection - a recipe for disaster since cars are already going faster than normal and then not wanting to brake for the changed light. If I’m at the front, I give that one 2 head checks each direction. If I’m second, I still give each direction a head check. If someone is running that light, they’re probably doing it at 70mph+, and that’ll just ruin your whole year if you don’t see them coming.
I myself always give 2 head checks each direction whether going from a parked stop or driving through any intersection. When on the country roads I ride mostly, whenever there is a vehicle at a stop or wanting to pull out I will swerve my bike back and forth creating movement so that the vehicle has a better chance of seeing me, and sometimes I will thrown my hand in the air and wave it around.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
721 Posts
Speeders, red light runners and stop sign rollers are getting worse in my region as well. Car or bike, I take extra looks before starting at green or approaching any intersection. And I expect the problem won't be fixed until they start putting cameras and trackers on every vehicle (something to look forward to... 😒).

·
Registered
497 Posts
Always, always, always look both ways before entering an intersection. Another self-preservation technique I have is, as much as possible, follow another vehicle. No one can pull into the empty space in front of you if there is no empty space in front of you.

Steve

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Always, always, always look both ways before entering an intersection. Another self-preservation technique I have is, as much as possible, follow another vehicle. No one can pull into the empty space in front of you if there is no empty space in front of you.

Steve
Except if they are pulling into the space from behind you and don't stop... It's how my uncle lost one of his bikes and why my aunt no longer rides with him (her helmet split in half from the impact on the car's windshield).

·
Registered
497 Posts
That is also a situation to watch. In the movie "Gumball Rally" Raul Julia is sitting in his Ferrari convertible and says "The first rule of Italian race car driving.." and reaches up, breaks off the rear view mirror and throws it, "...what is behind me is NOT important". When I was 19 I found out this was WRONG as I got rear-ended on the highway by a woman doing about 85 who fell asleep at the wheel.

So for that situation, always, always, always keep looking regularly in your mirrors at the person behind you. I've had a number of times when I deliberately changed lanes or used the turn only lane, especially on my CTX, to let someone past me that I decided couldn't be trusted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts