CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 700N is new with only 300 miles on it. I like doing my own oil change. My ST had a center stand which made it easy. What kind of a rear wheel lift do I need & where can I get one that would fit the CTX. Spools are required which does not come with the ones on Amazon & E-Bay. I am not familiar with these & could use some help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 700N is new with only 300 miles on it. I like doing my own oil change. My ST had a center stand which made it easy. What kind of a rear wheel lift do I need & where can I get one that would fit the CTX. Spools are required which does not come with the ones on Amazon & E-Bay. I am not familiar with these & could use some help.
Try this thread in the How-to section, http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/how-forum/1250-stand-chain-maintenance.html I bought a rear stand from Cycle Gear, on sale for $39 a few weeks ago, found here, http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...ands/brand/TRACKSIDE/Rear-Stand/p/42970_00000

CEETEEX was able to determine that the European NC700S model center stand works perfectly on the CTX, that is located near the end of that link to the thread. Hope this helps.

Tony

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you go with Cycle Gear, I highly recommend these upgraded, Trackside stands over the $39 stands. They are one piece and have bigger, more sturdy pads and the stands are more sturdy and easier to use as well; and in the case of the front stand, the $39 one will not work with the CTX, as it is too narrow, so do not buy that cheaper, Trackside front stand for the CTX. The rear one will work as far as I know but the one I originally bought had the wrong hardware in it, so I returned it. That's when the salesperson told me about the one for $10 more dollars. I've handled all four of these, and I can tell you there is a big quality difference and the upgraded ones are easier to use for an extra $10

Last month, both this front and rear stand, each regularly-priced @ $109 was on sale in the stores only and not online, however, I see that this month they are both on sale online (you would have to check if you wanted to buy at the store but usually they will have sale prices in the stores as well). I really like both of these stands for $50 a piece.

TRACKSIDE - Front Paddock Stand - Front Stands - Stands - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

TRACKSIDE - Rear Paddock Stand - Rear Stands - Stands - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

·
Registered
975 Posts
Some folks have bought a stand from Harbor Freight, but I don't remember if there was feed back on that stand.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Some folks have bought a stand from Harbor Freight, but I don't remember if there was feed back on that stand.

my posting in How to section is the Harbor Freight stand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Front & Rear Stands

gregsfc, thanks for the recommendation. I ordered both front & rear Paddock Stands. Good price, too.

·
Registered
975 Posts
gregsfc, thanks for the recommendation. I ordered both front & rear Paddock Stands. Good price, too.
Glad the info helped. I've had mine up on both stands a couple of times and totally suspended. It's pretty stable and makes checking and adjusting tire pressure easy and fast. Also good for cleaning the rims and wiping off grime under the bike.

A couple of things to look out for:

(1) Do not stick the rear stand as far forward as possible behind the rear wheel when positioning for the lift. Everything will work fine during the lift, but when you lower it, the handle will hit and bend your license plate all to sh**. Just place the pads an inch or two farther back, and it will still be plenty stable when on the stand and the stand handle won't touch the bike coming down.

(2)Make sure you're on a pretty level, smooth, even surface when you roll the bike forward onto the front stand after you've put it up on the rear stand and that the pads on both stands are sitting in the right spots under the bike and the pads are flat when you start the lifts. When you roll up on the front stand, the rear stand along with the bike will roll forward from the original position. If any of the four stand wheels roll onto uneven areas; e.g., down in a pot hole, on a hump, etc. while moving forward; or if you've not left enough room forward for the stands to roll, you could have a problem. The surface does not have to be perfectly level but fairly level. As for an even surface in the area around where the stand wheels are sitting, and making sure the pads are where they are supposed to be and that the pads are turned correctly prior to starting the lifts, these are critical steps to remember to avoid a tip.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Have you ever changed the oil & filter with the bike on the stands?
I changed the oil and filter when I had only the rear stand (Trackside Paddock Rear Stand, regular price--$109 on sale for $49.99) using the pads (no spools). I did not loosen the drain plug or oil filter before raising the rear wheel, and the oil filter was on their really, really tight, and I had to make two trips to the automotive retail store after I broke the first tool trying to loosen the filter, but, even though it was up on the rear stand without spools, I still didn't have a problem with stability when braking the filter loose, although it would probably be a good idea with respect to the oil filter to brake it loose first. At least for the first oil change, as it is too tight.

After I drained the oil, while the plug and filter were still off, I used a rag to catch any more oil that might have been in there and lowered the bike and set the bike on the side stand. Alot more oil came out and soaked the rag when I did this. I tilted the bike back and forth a few times, leaning it even further to the left side. Not much more oil came out of either opening at this point, so this step was probably unnecessary.

After that, I set it back on the side stand; reinstalled the new filter and drain plug and topped it back up while on the side stand which gave me a little better angle with respect to the funnel. When I got up to about 3 qts, I had my wife stand the bike upright and checked the level. Did this a few times, adding a little oil at a time, until I was near full on the dipstick. Started the bike and let it run a couple of minutes; rechecked it in the upright position. Checked a for a few days after that, after riding.

Note on changing oil and filter on one or both stands: It is not absolutely necessary for changing the oil and filter to lift the bike. I could have done it without a rear stand, but the main advantages are: that one can have more room to work under the bike; one has more room to place a regularly-sized, automotive drain pan to catch almost every drop of oil; and one doesn't have to spend as much time holding the bike upright manually if he or she uses one or both stands.

Note on the oil level: The owners manual states to properly check the oil level, it should be a warm engine; it should be level; and the dip stick should not be screwed in for the check. So I put the dip stick in and turn it clockwise just to where it starts to thread. That way I know that it is seated without obstruction, and then I check it.

Note on the stands: Keep in mind, these stands can roll forward or backward and the whole bike will go with it. If it is up on both stands, it can roll even more easily, because it's on small wheels all around, so one should chock them if he or she is working up on the stands, especially if it is on both stands, and one is putting torque on the bike or is putting pressure on the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got one and it works fine. However you have to pull the muffler. So I put off maintenance.

I'm looking to build a center stand for it, but would rather find one. If I remember right, there's brackets underneath where I think I can attack one.

I miss the center stand. Had a tire go flat one night. The bike was sitting on a slight incline (my bad, but the drive is like that) and when the tire went flat, it was enough to over-center the bike. Found my baby on it's side the next AM. thankfully I live in Tijuana (If one can say that) and my body man is cheap. So took it over for painting. Sad. Almost a year old and has had a face life already.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You may find that you do not have to pull the muffler. On my CTX700N. two bolts hold on the muffler "end trim piece". When it's off, I can use the stand quite nicely.

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I got one and it works fine. However you have to pull the muffler. So I put off maintenance.

I'm looking to build a center stand for it, but would rather find one. If I remember right, there's brackets underneath where I think I can attack one.

I miss the center stand. Had a tire go flat one night. The bike was sitting on a slight incline (my bad, but the drive is like that) and when the tire went flat, it was enough to over-center the bike. Found my baby on it's side the next AM. thankfully I live in Tijuana (If one can say that) and my body man is cheap. So took it over for painting. Sad. Almost a year old and has had a face life already.
Webike in Japan sell's a center stand and stop for the NC700S, not to be confused with the NC700X, that fits the CTX. The NC700S is not sold here in the US and dealers located here are not allowed to sell it. Many members have bought this stand and it works fairly well as long as the bike isn't loaded down. Search center stand on the forum for more info and the part numbers.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am sorry I do not know the brand rear stand I bought - it cost @ $80 and works perfectly well for the rear of the bike. I got it through the cycle dealer I bought my bike from. As sowjourner mentioned, you need to take a part of the muffler off as the pads on the stand on that side can't seat properly with that muffler end piece on. But, it is only the muffler end that needs to be removed, and it is held on by two screws, so it takes 15 seconds to remove and put back on. For me, it makes chain maintenance a breeze. If anybody wants to know the exact model, let me know and I can post back after I get home from work!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sent an email to PITBULL asking them if they had any plans for bringing the rear stand that was discontinued back. I received the following from them:

We found a better option for lifting that bike:

Pit Bull Motorcycle Stands & Accessories: Bonneville Rear Stand<br><small>(also fits other bikes)</small>

The original CTX stand was simply a hastily remodeled VFR1200 stand but the pin was too small in diameter and was incapable of living up to Pit Bull's standard for durability. We decided to go with the Bonneville Rear stand after I tested it on the CTX700 at the New York motorcycle show last Winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts