CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700N-1967 Honda CT90 TrailBike
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have a 2014 CTX700N 50 state model with about 8k miles on the odometer. I was able to solve a problem today that you may find helpful.
My rear brake light switch was staying on, so the rear brake light was always illuminated. At first I was able to get it to turn off by quickly flicking the rear brake pedal with my foot. This trick didn't work long, so then I looked at the Service Manual for help because the rear brake light was staying on constantly. First I removed the under-cowl lid, page 2-12 of the Service Manual. It's simple to remove this cover, there's just one trim clip to release with a phillips head screwdriver and then pull out the trim clip by hand, then the cover slips out of the three grooves with tabs.
After removing the cover, the switch is easy to see right under the cover, and it turns out, it's adjustable. There's a knurled knob that can be turned to adjust when the switch triggers the light to turn off and on. By adjusting the knurled knob, the brake light is now working properly. The whole switch sits in a hole in a metal bracket and is held in place by a spring underneath that can be seen when gently pulling up on the switch. By lifting slightly on the switch, (against the spring tension), the knurled knob can easily be turned either direction and adjusted as necessary to set exactly where in the right foot pedal travel the brake light comes on and goes off.
I'm not such a great mechanic, and it took some time and help to figure this out, but now I know, and hopefully this will help someone else.
The 1st image shows the "under-cowl-lid" in place, with the trim clip removed. The section of the under-cowl-lid in the center that is protruding straight up is actually covering the rear brake light switch
The 2nd image shows the cover removed and the light switch is vertical in the center of the image. It's the switch with the wire protruding from the top, doubled over and taped down to the switch, then heading straight down next to the switch before it disappears from view.
The 3rd image shows my finger pointing to the knurled knob. Pull up lightly on the switch to turn the know either direction to adjust the switch.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts