CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum,

Could anyone please recommend good read and front stand for the bike. I'm a new rider and anyway I need stand for (at least) some basic maintenance. I saw many stands on Amazon, which ones work for your CTX. The last question: which spools I should have (6,8,10mm) for CTX 700?

Thanks a lot,
Mike

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Rear stand... either figure out a center stand to install, or get a pit bull... pricey through revzilla, but cust service is okay. Pit Bull Rear Stand Honda CTX700 - RevZilla , but if you go to pit bull direct get the VFR1200 stand with the smaller pin. (you will need to call them, not on website yet) Same stand, smaller diameter on the pin. I'm not sure which would be cheaper at this point.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
btw... my suggestion is derived from previous posts by those more knowledgeable. My only input is what I have gleaned from experience after ordering.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you order from Revzilla, you get free shipping and no taxes. Not sure if Pit-bull charges taxes and/or shipping. Plus, you earn cash at Revzilla each time you purchase an item over $100. :)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
minige,

there are alternatives to Pit Bull stands so if they don't fit your budget try doings some searching on here and you will find other riders who chose differently. I have used pit bull stands on my bikes with single sided swing arms and they were great but no longer have the bikes or the stand. On my CTX I use a stand I got at Harbor Freight and ends from a Honda shop. I don't use spools. Not sure how many on forum use spools as they would have to add an adaptor or drill and tap holes in the swing arm.

Several have put on the centerstand due to the convenience of it as chain maintenance has to be done more frequently than most other services.

Happy riding.

·
Registered
309 Posts
minige,

there are alternatives to Pit Bull stands so if they don't fit your budget try doings some searching on here and you will find other riders who chose differently. I have used pit bull stands on my bikes with single sided swing arms and they were great but no longer have the bikes or the stand. On my CTX I use a stand I got at Harbor Freight and ends from a Honda shop. I don't use spools. Not sure how many on forum use spools as they would have to add an adaptor or drill and tap holes in the swing arm.

Several have put on the centerstand due to the convenience of it as chain maintenance has to be done more frequently than most other services.

Happy riding.
If I knew what the heck I was doing, I'd add a center stand, but I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined, so I will have to go with the rear stand. Might look for a shop that does custom bike work and see if they can install one for me without breaking the bank. :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've got both a rear and front stand from Cycle Gear at a really good price, and they are really easy to use and plenty sturdy. Cycle Gear's brand is Trackside. They were both regularly priced @ $109 but on sale at the time for $50 each. It looks like right now, however, they are not on sale, at least not on line but still a little cheaper than the Pitbull stands. You may check in a store if you are near one, because sometimes they have sales in stores that are not on line. This was the case for me when I bought the rear stand. It showed on line for $109, but in store it was $50.

TRACKSIDE - Front Paddock Stand - Front Stands - Stands - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

TRACKSIDE - Rear Paddock Stand - Rear Stands - Stands - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

One word of warning about Trackside stands. If you look at them, do not get the cheapest stands, llisted @ $39.99 each. They are multi piece; they are not sturdy built; and the front stand won't even work on the CTX, because the pads are not wide enough to fit the wheel. I've already been down that road. The $109 stands, however, are very good, easy to control with good pads, and even better if you can get them for $50.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've got both a rear and front stand from Cycle Gear at a really good price, and they are really easy to use and plenty sturdy. Cycle Gear's brand is Trackside. They were both regularly priced @ $109 but on sale at the time for $50 each. It looks like right now, however, they are not on sale, at least not on line but still a little cheaper than the Pitbull stands. You may check in a store if you are near one, because sometimes they have sales in stores that are not on line. This was the case for me when I bought the rear stand. It showed on line for $109, but in store it was $50.

TRACKSIDE - Front Paddock Stand - Front Stands - Stands - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

TRACKSIDE - Rear Paddock Stand - Rear Stands - Stands - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

One word of warning about Trackside stands. If you look at them, do not get the cheapest stands, llisted @ $39.99 each. They are multi piece; they are not sturdy built; and the front stand won't even work on the CTX, because the pads are not wide enough to fit the wheel. I've already been down that road. The $109 stands, however, are very good, easy to control with good pads, and even better if you can get them for $50.
Well my issue is that they are not available anymore in the store or on the website for $50. And if I'm going to pay more than $100, I'd rather fork over a few more $$ and get the Pit-Bull model. They make one specifically for the CTX and I believe their SS combo stand will work with the CTX too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your advises, guys. I took a look at Pit Bull, but, don't you think that $179 is too much for just rear stand. For this price you can take hydraulic lift at Amazon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks for your advises, guys. I took a look at Pit Bull, but, don't you think that $179 is too much for just rear stand. For this price you can take hydraulic lift at Amazon.
It's all relative, some people will spend more on some things than others. Yes, I think it's a pretty penny, but to me it's worth it, especially since it's high quality and has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rear stand... either figure out a center stand to install, or get a pit bull... pricey through revzilla, but cust service is okay. Pit Bull Rear Stand Honda CTX700 - RevZilla , but if you go to pit bull direct get the VFR1200 stand with the smaller pin. (you will need to call them, not on website yet) Same stand, smaller diameter on the pin. I'm not sure which would be cheaper at this point.
Does this rear stand require removing the left side saddlebag?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Does this rear stand require removing the left side saddlebag?
I don't have them on my bike, but I think it will probably hit.
- Lever is 30 1/2 tall from ground
- offset by about 8 inches from left centerstand mount

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I visited a dealership today and they told me that stands wouldn't work with my bike, it's too heavy. They recommended lift jack like this

Does anyone have experience with lifts like this? Can I use it for chain maintenance and oil change? How heavy are they? I don't have a garage so I would need to carry it something.

·
Registered
71 Posts
They recommended lift jack like this
Mine is a "sissor'" type which I much prefer, rather than the parrallelogram type you show. Comes down to cost, but mine is a cheap Chinese type, yet could easily manage a Gold-Wing. If you want the best, look at the SAM 1000.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I visited a dealership today and they told me that stands wouldn't work with my bike, it's too heavy. They recommended lift jack like this

Does anyone have experience with lifts like this? Can I use it for chain maintenance and oil change? How heavy are they? I don't have a garage so I would need to carry it something.
Well, I think a lot of Honda dealers don't know about their own product. When I was at the International Motorcycle Show a few weeks ago, I asked one of the Honda reps why they didn't make a center stand for the CTX and he told me that Honda does make one. We went back and forth for a couple of minutes then he decided that he would show me and preceded to log into the Honda database to show me the part number. He never found it and finally confirmed they didn't make one.

Plus, the fact that the dealership said the bike was too heavy should have been a clue. There are plenty of bikes out there that are much heavier than the CTX and they work just fine with rear stands.

Besides, if I wasn't going to get a rear stand like the Pit-Bull stand, I'd get something like one of these: http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog/motorcycle-dolly-c-115/

Reactions: JH700CTX

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
If you are buying for chain maintenance just put a center stand on it. Will be cheaper than the Pit Bull. As far as using a lift there are no traditional frame rails or points to lift. Dealers and even reps do not know much about this bike.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well Ceetex, that is probably true (if you know what you're doing). But if you don't have the skills to add a center stand (especially if it's not made specifically for the CTX and modifications have to be made), then the Pit-Bull stand might be a better option, or some other brand of stand. I too would much rather have a center stand than purchase a stand specifically for this bike.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Totally understandably, but they sell a stop that bolts on so no fabrication will be required. In addition it will always be onboard if you need it. I would guess a shop would charge 1 hr labor to install it and that would add to the overall cost. BUT, it would always be there. I had the trackside stand and it worked well but I always felt uneasy working around it or leaving it up with kids walking around. The Pit Bull is expensive but would be my choice if I did not install the center stand.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Totally agree, I did order the Pit-Bull stand, but I'm still contemplating ordering the center stand as well and have a shop install it. Now, if I can just find those posts of the stand and stop. :)

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Lol. I just updated the stop thread by Vulcan with a link to the original thread. I am not very patient and that made the install harder. On a scale of 1-10 its about a 3 on difficulty, and requires minimal tools. If you have a good dealer he may even charge .5 hours since thats all it should take a skilled mechanic.
http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx700-general-discussion-forum/3209-center-stand-ctx700.html

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ctx700-general-discussion-forum/3209-center-stand-ctx700-2.html

1 - 20 of 85 Posts