CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry about the cthulhu thing...supposed to be Thinking of the CTX...**** ipad

Hi Everyone

I've been riding about 20 years...now 68 years old. Currently ride a vtx1300t and love the bike. But starting to feel old and achy and thinking about changing. I ride as my transportation, mostly local but a couple 300 mile trips a month to visit family and a longer road trip or two each year. I'm about 6'.

Sat on the ctx700 with the fairing and my knees just clear. Like the weight and feel of the bike, with a trunk would be great for my daily driver. Considering the automatic and abs model.

Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would say so. Just do your research the best you can. Test drive when possible, and you may want to think about getting a Cee Bailey windshield for protection.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you add Corbin seat your knees will hit fairing. Read reviews about that because stock seat sucks after more than hour (20 minutes max for me).

I downsized from a VTX1800C and am VERY happy. DCT awesome, 400 pounds less weight to haul around. Love my CTX700ND

Reactions: VFRrider

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Couple issues seem to come up in the forums...one is the frequency of valve adjustments etc. I ride about 16,000 miles a year which would mean checking valves twice a year.

Other is crosswind response. I was planning on the DCT/ABS version with fairing, Cee Baily windshiels and a trunk in the back. Just wondering how this configuration will handle winds on the highway.

Before getting my VTX1300, I rode a shadow 750 with shield and trunk. Crosswinds weren't a real bad problem but definitely called for slower speeds and more concentration on the highway.

·
Registered
329 Posts
CTX700ND and crosswinds

Read my review of the Corbin seat: I detail my first 4 hours on the new seat, riding from Hollister, CA (Corbin plant) up 101 to hwy 92 to Half Moon Bay, thru SF, returing home Bay Bridge I-80 to Sacramento.

I zipped in an out of traffic 70-95MPH on open stretches no problem. My CTX700ND has lots of pick up 75-90MPH, in top gear 6. I don't understand that powerband with an automatic, but I will tell you I was hauling **** faster than I expected, and it was reliable passing speed.

Trucks, busses, whatever, no wind problems. It was dark around 9PM, minimal wind, probably mid 50's temps, medium traffic (typical bay area).

I have no problem with wind in traffic at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I have CTX700 DCT fairing model with 22" Cee Bailey Windscreen. Ride 75-85mph on Interstate and 2 Lane rural Farm to Market roads on a daily basis. No problems what so ever. The CTX is actually very well behaved, one of the better bikes out there. Not sure where the issue of cross winds originated from because it has no basis in fact. I'm now running with side boxes and a top box. Again, no problems to speak of. Highly recommend the CTX as a commuter bike and occasion trip bike. 300 miles is a bit tough. Cee Bailey with the vent is a must if you plan on buying the fairing model! You will not be disappointed and the CTX really comes of it own.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I agree with jfc77320. Have the CTX700, NO DCT, with a 22"Cee Bailey. The bike will go any speed you want without any problems. Crosswinds are not any problem.
I have gone over 200 miles without any concerns or discomfort other than my butt.
I should be having my Corbin seat delivered soon, I hope. They said it was in shipping last Friday but have not had any other info. I believe, based on having a Corbin on 2 bikes in the past, that 300 mikes would not be an issue.
I'm 76 so old age is more of a detriment than anything. I'm 5'10" with a 33 inch inseam. I chose the CTX because it's light, goes as fast as I want and my wife decided to stop riding. Don't need the big touring bikes anymore. If I had known though I just would have kept the R1200RT. Same weight as the Honda, about 110 hp.....awesome.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've made round trips to Nashville that were just over 500 miles with no problems from the seat. I've got the ceramic Bead Riders on mine.

I've not had any real problem with the side winds.

I've tried three different windshields and none of them are perfect. I wish I'd bought the taller Cee Bailey.

The bike is a great daily ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

I appreciate all the advice. I think the ctx is the way for me to go..
Over the past couple years my riding habits have changed somewhat...fewer long rides. Once a month I ride 250 miles to see my mom then return 250 the next day. Do two road trips a year, each a few days, but they've been getting shorter. The rest of the 300-something plus days just to the gym, errands, etc.

The ctx offers some real advantages that I can see.

·
Registered
842 Posts
You'll love it. I have the NDT, and bring it up to the AZ High Country [7,000 ft] with absolutely no problems. Here in PHX, it is my daily rider; freeways at 75 plus [more if I feel naughty], streets, anything you point it at. Me alone, 67 -70 mpg; two up, 60 -65 mpg.
Best thing to come down the pike, for me. I love it.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Couple issues seem to come up in the forums...one is the frequency of valve adjustments etc. I ride about 16,000 miles a year which would mean checking valves twice a year.
The frequent valve check is something to consider. It's on the service schedule for every oil/filter change, which is good for oil change interval but bad for valve adjustment clearance check interval. I'm about a 9K-per-year rider, so this was something I looked hard at as well. I saw this as a negative when I was considering the bike and even brought it up on the forum for advice. I'm not a very experienced owner/rider, so folks on the forum taught me some things about valve clearance checks; the fact that no shims means less complicated and/or less expensive checks and adjustments; and so, just because it requires more-than-epected-in-the-modern-age service, it's probably not as bad as say, the CB500F/R/X that requires a check @ 600 miles, then every 16K but is more complicated to DIY, or alternatively, requires more labor hours when paying a shop for the check/adjustment.

What has been a bigger deal for me since taking delivery is dealing with the chain maintenance, which I've just decided to suck it up and deal with it. It wasn't that bad in the summer, but now since winter has come and I'm a daily commuter and it's dark when I leave the house and dark when I return home; it's sort of a hassle to have to deal with the chain on the rainy days so as not to shorten chain life. I definitely want to ride rain or shine, so this is something that I should have looked. However I doubt that I would have come to a different choice. The CTX beats the others I was considering in so many other areas for me. It should be noted that this bike is only my second ride and my first chain-driven one, so I'm sure the chain stuff will become a task like brushing my teeth after a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also thought about the chain. I've had chain bikes in the past but before I rode as my transportation and didn't mind the chain. Since I've been riding full time and in all sort of whether I really appreciate not having to deal with the chain. This is a little off-putting I have to admit and is probably one of the biggest issues I have remaining.

I suppose I have to get used to again keeping a can of chain lube in the saddlebags ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts