Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: Exhaust

Hi Folks,

New to this forum, new to biking in general ... Is there a way to make the exhaust on a CTX700ND have a louder, deeper sound? I don't expect it to sound like a Harley with screaming eagle exhaust, but I would like to have the bike have more "attitude". Any advice would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Rebel13 took his muffler off his "Sally". give the search box a try

Reactions: Rebel13

·
Registered
329 Posts
my two cents...

I have modified a lot of my bikes, last one VTX1800C had awesome sound.

That being said, I will NEVER modify exhaust or intake on another bike again, unless it is necessary to get the airbox out of the way for comfort, like the all V-star bikes: I decided against buying a Star 1300 Cruiser largely because that big airbox jabbed me in the leg just sitting on it. Star Bolt has a nasty bulky airbox too- totally oversized and uncomfortable.

Add modulating headlight for safety, don't rely on sound (light travels faster than sound to warn cagers).

Reactions: Effem Tee

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I really like the quieter CTX and find myself enjoying my rides much more. I like riding two up and communication between us is so much easier. No more hand signals or annoying taps to let me know some things up. No need to shout at the top of our lungs with the customary "what?!?!?!" followed. I added a Sena system to our helmets for a modest price and we now can hold a conversation or answer the phone or actually hear the GPS tell me to "turn right now". The best part about is I don't feel like I just spent 3 hours at a rock concert when I stop for food or gas.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Add modulating headlight for safety, don't rely on sound (light travels faster than sound to warn cagers).
More importantly, they give driver's licenses to deaf people, but not the blind... ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Folks,

New to this forum, new to biking in general ... Is there a way to make the exhaust on a CTX700ND have a louder, deeper sound? I don't expect it to sound like a Harley with screaming eagle exhaust, but I would like to have the bike have more "attitude". Any advice would be appreciated
I took the muffler completely off and boy did it make a difference. It had more of a loud growl, throaty sound to it and people actually turned heads when riding through neighbor hoods or shopping plazas. Now with my VFR and scorpion exhaust, people literally hear me from a block or two away. THAT'S LOUD

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I took the muffler completely off and boy did it make a difference. It had more of a loud growl, throaty sound to it and people actually turned heads when riding through neighbor hoods or shopping plazas. Now with my VFR and scorpion exhaust, people literally hear me from a block or two away. THAT'S LOUD
And how is that good? Loud pipes actually DON'T save lives. You may hear a bike around you (if they are behind), but because of the direction of sound from the muffler, it's just a general "noise" that cannot be located. Until the bike is right next to you - or in front of you. In both cases, it's too late for the bike if the car has already started to do something stupid.

And if the person has loud music in their car (or a very quiet car, like a higher-end Mercedes or a Rolls or Bentley) they may not even here you when you're next to them or in front of them.

If you want to be noticed by drivers beside and in front of you, then go with a headlight modulator. Visuals work. The blind don't drive; the deaf do. Drivers are trained to watch for flashing lights - and a headlight modulator does just that.

Loud exhausts do not save lives; they do add a lot of aggravation to those around you, and enhance the attitude of "outlaw bikers" by the general public which may make it seem more socially acceptable to "screw around" with bikers by hugging against lanes, cutting them off, etc.

Finally, if you regularly ride with a loud exhaust, you'll be paying me money in the future. I'm a professional acoustician and have a few fundamental patents in the hearing aid market. You'll use my products, and a lot sooner than you think.

Loud pipes don't save lives, they anger people, they disrupt lives, and they damage your hearing. What's the point?

Reactions: jfc77320 and vulcan

·
Banned
463 Posts
I agree with Shanghai Dan.
Noisy bikes are really irritating, except to the jerks riding them. They are illegal too but unfortunately noone enforces the law. There are a few towns around that periodically set up to audit db levels, and write tickets.
Without the proper backpressure bikes tend to run lean......whoops there go the valves.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Enforcement has been getting more stringent in a number of cities of late, especially in small municipalities. Several of my Harley friends have bit the bullet due to loud pipes. Its easy money and fines have been increasing exponentially. EPA and DOT have both warned manufactures to stop with the noise or face the consequences. It wont be long before after market producers of exhausts will be next. Wait and see.

·
Registered
329 Posts
In Kahlifornya, it's illegal to modify the exhaust system of any motor vehicle now, beyond original smog designs. I don't like the law, but CARB hammered Vance & Hines for selling pipes in CA that were unrestricted. It's big brother and I dislike it greatly, but it's the law here and I see motorcyclists get cited for modified exhaust all the time. If it's quite enough they won't notice. But now they use decibal meters to measure sound of pipes.

I prefer visual instead of audible cager warning: headlight modulator works marvelous for me

·
Registered
975 Posts
I was thinking of removing the muffler and trying it out that way, but if it is that loud, I won't even try it. I'd just like a little more volume and more room to clean underneath the bike, but I don't want it to be loud to the point that it may or will annoy others or to draw attention to myself. Maybe I'll wait for something after market just to tun it up a notch and for a little smaller pipe but no big deal if it never happens.

I think we should cut Loco a break. He or she is hailing from the southeastern U.S. I can tell you that no one gets fined or even criticized for loud pipes around where I live and nearly everyone that rides down here is loud. Those guys on loud Harleys are untouchable around here. People just put up with it and act as if it's not annoying, because somewhere along the way everyone down here, including law enforcement started believing that bikers can take exception to the law. I don't like it, but folks down here that do it or like it are victims of our culture. Same can be said for those smoker pipes where folks take a perfectly good, clean, powerful diesel-powered vehicle that costs OEM thousands to design it that clean and smoke free, and owners will modify it and make it spew gobs of cancer-causing black smoke just because they think it will draw attention to themselves. Most think it's cool and those that don't stay quiet about it, because we're too outnumbered by the unreasonable mob. The fact that it's technically against the law seems to have nothing to do with it. I've seen owners demonstrate these illegal machines to law officers with not even a thought about their machine being illegal.

·
Banned
463 Posts
In Kahlifornya, it's illegal to modify the exhaust system of any motor vehicle now, beyond original smog designs. I don't like the law, but CARB hammered Vance & Hines for selling pipes in CA that were unrestricted. It's big brother and I dislike it greatly, but it's the law here and I see motorcyclists get cited for modified exhaust all the time. If it's quite enough they won't notice. But now they use decibal meters to measure sound of pipes.
It's illegal in all states to modify exhaust systems, not only Kalifornia.
It's based on emissions, not noise.
If you look at any aftermarket exhaust system you will see "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY"

When the tree huggers force electric cars and bikes to become the norm, noise won't be a problem. You can just crank up a speaker of an old illegal Harley if you need the noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have modified a lot of my bikes, last oneis a modulating headlightVTX1800C had awesome sound.

That being said, I will NEVER modify exhaust or intake on another bike again, unless it is necessary to get the airbox out of the way for comfort, like the all V-star bikes: I decided against buying a Star 1300 Cruiser largely because that big airbox jabbed me in the leg just sitting on it. Star Bolt has a nasty bulky airbox too- totally oversized and uncomfortable.

ralphthewrecker:I agree with you on the exhaust issue, but what exactly is a modulating headlight? and where can we get those?

·
Registered
547 Posts
ralphthewrecker:I agree with you on the exhaust issue, but what exactly is a modulating headlight? and where can we get those?
I have a modulator on each of my scooters. Here is the site I got mine from. These are very good quality. No wire cutting since one end plugs into your headlight and the other side plugs into the connector that normally is plugged into the headlight. Motorcycle headlight modulator

You have one additional step which is to run a sensor wire to the outside of the bike that is exposed to daylight. It's purpose is to turn off the modulation once outdoor light levels fall below Federal minimum lighting standards. When the modulator shuts down due to low ambient light, your headlight will be at full high beam output. Your high beam indicator will pulse in brightness indicating that the modulation is occurring.

Typically the modulation occurs when the headlight is in the high beam mode. When you switch to low beam, the modulation turns off. I turn to low beam when sitting at traffic lights or if I'm riding with a group (unless I'm #1 or #2 in the group. You can change the wiring to allow low beam modulation but you will be seen better in high mode, and being in high mode doesn't blind oncoming drivers since the voltage to the light is going up and down quickly.

I've seen a marked reduction in folks pulling in front of me from side streets and ongoing traffic making left turns in front of me. In an urban area, this is really a necessary accessory that makes you stand out from other cars or trucks behind you who may have daytime running lights.

Jack

·
Registered
15 Posts
And how is that good? Loud pipes actually DON'T save lives. You may hear a bike around you (if they are behind), but because of the direction of sound from the muffler, it's just a general "noise" that cannot be located. Until the bike is right next to you - or in front of you. In both cases, it's too late for the bike if the car has already started to do something stupid.

And if the person has loud music in their car (or a very quiet car, like a higher-end Mercedes or a Rolls or Bentley) they may not even here you when you're next to them or in front of them.

If you want to be noticed by drivers beside and in front of you, then go with a headlight modulator. Visuals work. The blind don't drive; the deaf do. Drivers are trained to watch for flashing lights - and a headlight modulator does just that.

Loud exhausts do not save lives; they do add a lot of aggravation to those around you, and enhance the attitude of "outlaw bikers" by the general public which may make it seem more socially acceptable to "screw around" with bikers by hugging against lanes, cutting them off, etc.

Finally, if you regularly ride with a loud exhaust, you'll be paying me money in the future. I'm a professional acoustician and have a few fundamental patents in the hearing aid market. You'll use my products, and a lot sooner than you think.

Loud pipes don't save lives, they anger people, they disrupt lives, and they damage your hearing. What's the point?
I'm trying to find where exactly I said loud pipes save lives. Maybe you can point it out for me because I'm not seeing it.

As far as what's the point of my bike being loud; I want it loud. It is a modification that some people desire and some people don't.

Now when you say it's aggravating toward other people, I happen to disagree. My new sports bike has an exhaust on there that can be heard before it's seen and trust me, I get A LOT of positive attention. Women love it and men envy it. My riding buddy has an exhaust that's even louder and he gets the same reaction. To those people who don't like it, I can honestly say I don't care. It's my bike, my modification. I'm not there to please them.

Oh and I'm 24 years old. I got bored of the CTX700 really fast. Wasn't fast enough or sporty enough. So I traded it in for a bike that can easily hit 156mph. Any problems that arise out of the bike not having a muffler is no longer a problem of mine. My new bike has a muffler installed and it's plenty loud for me, my neighbors and motorist.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in South Florida where every day is a good day to be on 2 wheels.

Law enforcement down here is extremely laid back when it comes to motorcycles. I ride by state troopers, deputies and city cops all the time. Never once got pulled over and never had an issue about my muffler or any modification. And yes, I know my muffler is loud because people actually roll up their windows when I pull by them.

I guess you folks never been down south because you would know our officers got better things to do then pull bikers over for loud mufflers. Out of the group of bikers I've been riding in (years of riding), no one has EVER gotten pulled over.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I live in South Florida where every day is a good day to be on 2 wheels.

Law enforcement down here is extremely laid back when it comes to motorcycles. I ride by state troopers, deputies and city cops all the time. Never once got pulled over and never had an issue about my muffler or any modification. And yes, I know my muffler is loud because people actually roll up their windows when I pull by them.

I guess you folks never been down south because you would know our officers got better things to do then pull bikers over for loud mufflers. Out of the group of bikers I've been riding in (years of riding), no one has EVER gotten pulled over.
Warning...Rant follows...but you've earned it...

Your statements support the statements I made in my last post, which is basically that these noise ordinances and sate laws, which are on the books, are by and large being ignored down here in the South just like distracted driving laws and tail pipe smog laws by traffic enforcement entities. However, the second part of your post makes it seem as though loud, annoying bikers don't get pulled over and ticketed, because the public down here is not annoyed by it or actually think it's cool, and that could be no further from the truth. Just because a law is not enforced, because it has become a hands-off, accepted behavior, does not mean that it is not extremely annoying to the rest of us, it does not mean that loud pipes have a minimal negative impact on our quality of lives, and it does not mean that about 90% of us are happy with the fact that loud pipe laws are not enforced. In truth it is the contrary.

The craziest thing about his entire phenomenon is that those who ride around alone and in groups making alot of noise with their bikes, just like those who spew cancer-causing black smoke in their pickup trucks are not drawing positive attention from others as they think they are. The rest of us recognize these extreme behaviors from a far, because these extreme cries for attention are very obtrusive to us, and most of us go out of our way not to pay attention to you, because we are trying to ignore the annoyance as much as we possibly can and our brains are trying to savor as much as we can from the positive aspects of life that are not being drowned out by the noise. We know who you are because you are so annoying to us and we hear it all the time, but we don't turn our heads and look except to wish you would go away. The ones turning their heads to give you a look are a far fewer percentage of the population than you think there is. Those are other owners with the same interests and other wannabes, but there are not as many wannabes as those who engage in these activities think there are. Most of us are not impressed and see nothing positive about it whatsoever; don't wish we could be like you , and only wish you would go away and leave us alone so that we can start enjoying the joys of life as nature has intended.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I'm trying to find where exactly I said loud pipes save lives. Maybe you can point it out for me because I'm not seeing it.

As far as what's the point of my bike being loud; I want it loud. It is a modification that some people desire and some people don't.

Now when you say it's aggravating toward other people, I happen to disagree. My new sports bike has an exhaust on there that can be heard before it's seen and trust me, I get A LOT of positive attention. Women love it and men envy it. My riding buddy has an exhaust that's even louder and he gets the same reaction. To those people who don't like it, I can honestly say I don't care. It's my bike, my modification. I'm not there to please them.

Oh and I'm 24 years old. I got bored of the CTX700 really fast. Wasn't fast enough or sporty enough. So I traded it in for a bike that can easily hit 156mph. Any problems that arise out of the bike not having a muffler is no longer a problem of mine. My new bike has a muffler installed and it's plenty loud for me, my neighbors and motorist.

Congratulations: You are 24 years old and you actually spell and punctuate correctly. Unusual.
Other than that you are a total fool for your attitude about your right to irritate people with a noisy bike. All we can do is hope when you are exercising that bike at 150 mph you go down.
Or maybe you'll run across a guy like the one who shot somebody because they didn't turn down the car radio.
Remember......turnabout's fair play.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rather than fuel this particular fire:

I'm of the opinion that if I can hear you coming down the block, that's good.

If I can hear you two miles away, that's damaging my hearing (and yours). I don't much appreciate it.

I nice pleasant exhaust 'growl' that shows the power of the bike is good. Something that makes it sound like a swam of bees or a diesel truck is just showing that you're lacking in the pants :p.

I also live in a major metro area, so extremely loud bikes are disturbing hundreds of people at once who have busy day to day lives. Out in the boonies, I could care less. I follow this same rule with music when I have my windows down. Or at least I did when I owned a car...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.