CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: "D" and "S" Mode

Is there any danger in switching between "S" and "D" modes when bike is running? I like the extra power when in "S" mode but when driving in heavy traffic, I prefer "D" mode but I want to make sure the transmission isn't damaged by my switching while the bike is in 3rd or 4th gear

·
Registered
21 Posts
No danger whatsoever. You can move between 'D' and 'S', auto and manual as well as up/down shift at will in any mode. The ONLY restriction is the bike won't let you downshift into the RPM redzone.

You shouldn't hesitate to shift into any mode/gear that you need, on the fly, to get the power and control required for any situation.

Paul/

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use D on the freeway commuting above 55-60MPG with fast flowing traffic.

Anytime I anticipate maneuvering or stop and go, I leave it in S. I can accelerate fine from 65-95 in D.

I treat D like Overdrive in a car. Dig thru our forums and you will see various discussions on the subject. I tab shift up and down in both S and D mode, and bounce back and forth between S and D often. It's like changing the settings on a fuel injection controller in a diesel truck, or on some of the more advanced bikes. For CTX700 DCT, its just transmission variations. The S mode is aggressive enough for me for hard acceleration. Some riders like to go all manual control. I tried it and don't like it, but I do like tabbing up and down in S & D- pretty cool feature.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i use the turn "tab" loosely for shift. When shifting in MT mode, you tab the + and - buttons.

But yes, I do it all the time: Sometimes our DCT will sort of "stick" in 2nd or 3rd in Sport mode during hard acceleration. I tab + and - down as needed, WHILE IN AT mode. I do it in D mode as well.

Neat feature of Honda DCT's on all Honda tranny systems, is you can push on the shift tabs as much and hard as you want, but if it is not safe to down or upshift, the trannsmission will NOT ALLOW IT. Try it while riding in either AT mode first- it's fool proof. Same for MT mode. The electronics protect the tranny from shifting during any unsafe RPM windows.

I use the tab shifting in AT mode for mild engine braking, and when she sticks longer than I want accelerating.

Reactions: Effem Tee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks ralphthewrecker --- good info. I talked to 2 mechanics today and they could not tell me definitively whether I could even switch from "S" to "D" mode while the bike was in motion ... I suppose it's not their fault --- this bike is too new for mechanics to get all the specs on the bike from Honda

·
Registered
21 Posts
In manual mode, you can shift your own gears. The auto modes (both D and S) don't take away your ability to do this, these modes just enable the computer to shift for you as it sees fit.

Putting it in manual mode just disengages the computer from making the shifting decisions for you (well, except for not letting you stall the bike - the computer will never let you do that, regardless of the mode you're in).

You can, and should, shift as needed in any mode.

Ride safe!

Cheers,

P/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there any danger in switching between "S" and "D" modes when bike is running? I like the extra power when in "S" mode but when driving in heavy traffic, I prefer "D" mode but I want to make sure the transmission isn't damaged by my switching while the bike is in 3rd or 4th gear
When I had the CTX, I use to switch modes occassionally while the bike was in motion. I never had any issues, but I still had that thought in the back of my head that it was just flat out wrong to do it lol. So I waited until I had to stop to switch modes.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
There is no danger temporarily shifting manually up or down while in auto mode. The transmission will return to auto mode automatically. The owners manual addresses this on p.39. You can shift from AT mode( both D and S back and forth) to manual mode back and forth. The owners manual addresses this on p.40-41.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I couldn't believe how much worse the mpg was in S mode than in D, I just leave it in D mode now, works good enough for me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Can one upshift or downshift manually when on AT mode? I thought "tab shift" was only in MT mode?
You can, however, the gear you manually shift so only stays there for a nano second - enough to give you that boost of speed (or deceleration) when needed. Particularly in D mode. Since you're in AT mode, the bike determines what gear you should be in based on speed, so you can up or downshift, but only briefly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts