CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: 600 mile "checkup"

Honda suggested I stop by after the first 600 miles on the CTX700ND. They said it would cost about $300.00 and after this initial "checkup" I only needed to stop by every 8,000 miles or so. With little time on my plate, and with my bike running perfectly, just how important is this 600 mile checkup?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The service required after the breakin period (first 600 miles) is arguably the most important one.

The breakin period is when all the metal parts get to know each other and sorta of "wear down" to a perfect fit. A lot of metal particles get trapped in the oil. Also, brand new cables loosen as you ride. Same goes for the chain.

It is really important to get that first oil changed, those cables tightened, the chain adjusted, etc.

Don't skip or even delay this service.

Paul/

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The first 600 mile servicing in very important. Especially oil and filter change. $300.00 sounds really high. My dealership wanted $180.00. Find out exactly what this includes. Most of what the dealership does can be done yourself including the oil and filter change and minor adjustments. Checking valve lash is better left to the dealership if its included. Checking torque specs is supposed to be included but spotty amongst the dealerships. There is no specific requirement on what they check when it comes to torque.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'll join the choir. I've read that 600 miles should be considered a maximum range before having your bike checked out and oil changed; but you could see what it would cost just to have the cable tightness's checked if you're willing to change engine oil/filter, clutch filter, and chain slack yourself. There are threads on here showing how to do the oil and filters and it's really very easy except that you'll need a really good wrench to get the oil filter off the first time.

There are plenty of Youtube videos showing chain service. I mention the DCT filter, but I really don't know if that's called for on the D model @ 600 miles. I've got the standard shift, and I can't remember what the manual calls for on the clutch filter (whether it's due on the 600 mile or not), but I think it is.

Alternatively, you could have a shop do everything but find one that will let you see what they're doing with some of the more simple stuff. If I could have found someone for me, it would have eased my stress over the last few months, especially as it relates to the chain work and checks, because that was all new to me, and I didn't have a warm and fuzzy about properly measuring the chain slack and how to ensure that I had adjusted both sides evenly to ensure the rear wheel was true after I completed the work. I did take my bike to a shop after the fact to get them to check over what I had done on the chain slack and making sure I was getting the rear wheel true. The shop just took a look at it and said that I did well. Didn't even charge me anything. So there are some shops out there that will help w/o immediate financial reward and getting a second look really helps with someone's confidence, at least for us non-mechanical folks.

I'm a fairly new owner/rider of MCs, and I learned early on in this process that I was going to have to learn how to do the regular chain stuff myself (checking slack, adjusting as necessary, cleaning and lubing). It's recommended every 500 miles, but I've learned on here that if you do any riding in the rain and you have a chain-driven bike, it really has to be attended to more often than that. I'm still learning and getting better, but I can't imagine how someone could own this bike and not have to learn about doing the chain stuff.

If you feel a little uneasy about the chain part, ask if the dealer will let you see what they're doing with regards to chain service. In retrospect, that's what I should have done early on. It would have been worth the expense to ease my mind and help my confidence.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A 'break in' service on any vehicle is very important. With scooters it tends to be 4-500 miles too. All the parts are just getting to know each other, so it's really important. $300 does seem a bit high though, is there another Honda dealer you can work with?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quick question .... are the days of the first oil change and checkout gone ?
Last time i bought a bike , the 1st oil change/filter and checkout adjustments were on the house. Did i get the air ? Did'nt see any coupons or anything else that says entitled to per se. What has been others experience with CTX ? Do i need to do a lttle dealer arm twisting ?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Interesting.... In the words of immortal buga bunny'a Yosemeti Sam ...."Its gettin so a man can't make a dishonest livin' anymore'.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm in with what the others have said... do the service and don't skimp. $300 is high, but he's probably got a captive market. Mine was considerably less, but so? And mine also said: See you at 8,000 miles. Love this bike.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I just got the bike back. $300 but the mechanic vetted the bike and said it's good to go. Funny thing: he wasn't able to tell me exactly when to return the bike for next oil service/tuneup/whatever. He said that it varies from bike to bike and that the CTX700ND was too new but to be on the safe side, come back in 6 months for oil change. He said price now would drop to $90

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do I have to check anything/lubricate anything until my next trip to mechanic (6 months)? I typically ride my bike about 3X/week for a combined weekly mileage of about 200 miles

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Check oil and tire air pressure each time you ride. Chain has to be lubed every 500 miles or after getting wet. There are many posts on the forum that will explain the how to's and your owners manual is a great source of info.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I think all the adjustments are in the owners manual and oil change was less than 25.00 doing it myself. As a rider you should learn how to adjust everything mentioned on the service pages with maybe the exception of a valve adjustment. Every time you ride you should know your brakes are working, the clutch is adjusted (manual model). The tires have proper air, and there are no leaks. Re-read your owners manual about pre-ride inspection. My chain has yet to be adjusted with 3k miles. If it dropped from $300 (which is way high and I think I would have called other Honda dealers and get another quote) to $90 look at the frequency chart of adjustments and ask yourself why. Getting the old break in oil out is important and the main reason for the 600 mile service.

that's my 2 cents worth.

Reactions: jfc77320

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Mine was $40.00 changing it myself using Honda oil and Honda oil and trans. filter from the dealership. It should be about $25.00 this next go around. I've got 3000k on my bike as well and still no need to adjust the chain. I do have to add air to my Bridgestone tires about every 2-3 weeks. Air pressure is critical for safety and good tire life.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Since the folks that you just handed $300 to do very little work would not or could not look up when your bike needs it's next service, I'll do it for free. It took me all of five minutes to pull out my manual and find the information and a little more time to type it out. I guess that maybe, if you had dropped another $200-$300 they could have figured out when the CTX700 needs its next service.

Everything is in your owner's manual. I would tab this entire section p-51 through p-98. It's got all the information you need. You can decide for yourself how much you want to let the service folks do and how much you want to handle yourself, but I think that once a rider understands where and what he or she is checking, that he or she should be able to handle everything between the 8,000 mile services at a minimum. Like I stated in a post above, it may be helpful for someone to show you some of the monthly checks and some of the items at the 4,000 mile check the first time around, but after that, I wouldn't take a perfectly good CTX700 in but every 8K.

Pre-ride inspection to be done before each ride p.53

Periodic checks p.54, which includes drive chain to be performed at least once per month.

With regards to the drive chain, 500 miles or as needed, whichever comes first. As needed means any time the chain gets dry, dirty or develops slack even if it's not been 500 since the last check. Chain drive service is listed on pages 60-62 and 88-90. I'd get in the habit of checking the condition of the chain and sprocket some time during each ride; either before or after. I prefer after, since you have a warm chain to do service if necessary.

At 4,000 miles shown on odometer

Crankcase Breather Check - Check more frequently if often ridden in the rain or if
ridden often at full throttle.

Check engine idle speed - All this means is that the engine is supposed to idle @ 1200
RPM + or - 100. Just look at the gauge and make sure it's idling where it is supposed
to be. Reference page 142.

Check brake pads; brake fluid level; and brake lock. How to perform these checks
is explained in the owner's manual.

At 8,000 miles, you've got some of the same checks plus some more inspection items, plus the next engine oil and filter change, plus valve clearance check. I'll take mine in for the 8,000 mile check, because I have no confidence with valve clearance, but I may one day start doing that check and adjustment on my own too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
my update on init maintenance (sp?)

My update on init maint. (East Bay Area) I took in at around 800 miles on the odo.
They did oil change and first maint check for around $110.00.
I wanted to do this at lest for the first checkup as i have the maint. contract. (talked into at the last minute... if figured better resale value if upgrade or trade down the road). I have to say after all the small adjustments the bike handled superbly.I normally do typical oil change myself... and do the requisite basic checks before a ride(tire not flat, psi...check signals and brake lights etc.) Local dealer has specials for like $25 bucks for oil change which does'nt brake the bank. The only beef i have with ctx700 is the chain... i would have prefered a shaft drive or belt drive vs. chain. Thats such a PITA... getting the chain brush out, degrease and relubing. In closing keep all maint recepts and log for maint contract support. Cheers.

Lone Woof

·
Registered
124 Posts
When i buy a new Bike, I always buy a MFR's Service Manual, at the time I buy the bike.

One of the Main reasons for me buying any of Honda's 700 series bikes is the maintenance is very easy, even valve check/adjust is easy.

I do all my own maintenance, as i cannot see paying someone to do second or third rate service to my new vehicle.

Nobody is going to care for your bike the way you do.

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
While at the dealership today I asked for the cost of the first maintenance. They said $145 which included all supplies. Pretty much in line with labor costs of $100 an hour and most dealerships in the St. Louis area.

Jack

1 - 20 of 23 Posts