CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never (Never!) felt comfortable with the niggardly 3.1 US Gallons provided by my 2014 CTX700 DCT. I'd often been spoiled by past rides having 7.4 gallons ('94 ST1100) and 7.7 gallons ('05 ST1300). Such bikes can easily fly beyond 225 miles nonstop; far beyond my bladder's range anyway.

Sure, the CTX700 has Honda's "most advanced [street] motor" and I can coax 63 miles per gallon out of said motor if I twist lightly, and I have taken the CTX700 as far as 190 miles - twisting sparingly all the way - before filling up with 2.9 US gallons [exhaling thankfully].

Last weekend I was in Quartzsite [western] AZ with three bars on my CTX fuel guage - too soon to fill up. Since I had filled up near my home in Buckeye AZ, I figured I could easily make it back to the the gas station at Tonopah along I-10 between Quartzsite and Buckeye.

Turns out, me and the CTX had to fight vicious head winds all the way east on I-10. Honda's "most advanced motor" had plenty of power to cruise at 75-80 mph anyway and I was delighted to give her her head -- until she sputtered and quit at 150 miles from last fillup. Apparently the CTX also had an advanced thirst when performing extraordinary feats of speed into the wind.

I was still 5 miles away from the Tonopah gas station according to the GPS. That was going to be a long walk into the wind (probably both ways)! What to do now? At 81 years of youth, a 10-mile walk might be well beyond the limit of my ability.

ROTOPAX to my RESCUE! Yes, for a long time I have packed a Rotopax 1-gallon auxiliary fuel tank for just such emergencies. I have spoken about Rotopax here before, but this is the first time I have had to use it. Here is the Link to the prior post:

Rotopax Fyi

I also keep an updated on-line text of useful CTX service info which I am happy to share with you here:

CTX700 Fyi

As the photos below show, I am now using the [rather expensive but excellent] Rotopax mounting system. Using bungee cords to "secure" an auxiliary fuel tank (Rotopax or not) is unwise.
Don't ask how I know.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
While riding my 1982 Yamaha XV920 Seca (a Euro Styled chain driven bike built with the Virago 920 V-twin engine in a different frame) I ran out of gas on Houston's hwy 59 at the height of Rush Hour. It seems my 30 plus year old bike had developed a leaky petcock valve that only leaked when there was vacuum pressure on it. I looked down and my right pants leg was soaked with gas. Even back then (about 10 years ago) I had roadside assistance. I called them up, and they brought me a gallon of gas. I made the two miles to the next exit (all up hill, that's why I could not push it) filled up, and went home and changed my seal on the petcock. That old bike actually has two petcocks, one for each carb, one carb for each cylinder. I change both of them.
But that is one of the many reasons I don't ride my old bikes that much any more. My CTX takes me virtually every where I go on my bike. And yes, I still have roadside assistance.
But I do like that Rotopax Reserve Idea.
I might look into that.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
635 Posts
I think the furthest I've gone on the CTX was 198 miles before I chickened out and filled up! Usually I shoot for 180 miles and watch the signs for the next station, and so far, after a series of day trips, I haven't run out yet (knock wood). Of course, the one thing you find plenty of on the east coast is gas stations, so I'm rarely risking anything.

·
Super Moderator
3,387 Posts
I think that for anyone who has most any kind of saddlebag, that what you want is what I've used since 2012:

It stores nicely out of sight and is cheaper than the Rotopax. 😎

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
338 Posts
I have a 1-gallon container that I carry inside one of my side cases when I know I am taking a long trip, and it looks very similar to the REDA can, the difference is that mine is rectangular in shape, not triangular. Having such a small gas tank on the CTX is always a good idea to carry some extra gas just in case.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have never (Never!) felt comfortable with the niggardly 3.1 US Gallons provided by my 2014 CTX700 DCT. I'd often been spoiled by past rides having 7.4 gallons ('94 ST1100) and 7.7 gallons ('05 ST1300). Such bikes can easily fly beyond 225 miles nonstop; far beyond my bladder's range anyway.

Sure, the CTX700 has Honda's "most advanced [street] motor" and I can coax 63 miles per gallon out of said motor if I twist lightly, and I have taken the CTX700 as far as 190 miles - twisting sparingly all the way - before filling up with 2.9 US gallons [exhaling thankfully].

Last weekend I was in Quartzsite [western] AZ with three bars on my CTX fuel guage - too soon to fill up. Since I had filled up near my home in Buckeye AZ, I figured I could easily make it back to the the gas station at Tonopah along I-10 between Quartzsite and Buckeye.

Turns out, me and the CTX had to fight vicious head winds all the way east on I-10. Honda's "most advanced motor" had plenty of power to cruise at 75-80 mph anyway and I was delighted to give her her head -- until she sputtered and quit at 150 miles from last fillup. Apparently the CTX also had an advanced thirst when performing extraordinary feats of speed into the wind.

I was still 5 miles away from the Tonopah gas station according to the GPS. That was going to be a long walk into the wind (probably both ways)! What to do now? At 81 years of youth, a 10-mile walk might be well beyond the limit of my ability.

ROTOPAX to my RESCUE! Yes, for a long time I have packed a Rotopax 1-gallon auxiliary fuel tank for just such emergencies. I have spoken about Rotopax here before, but this is the first time I have had to use it. Here is the Link to the prior post:

Rotopax Fyi

I also keep an updated on-line text of useful CTX service info which I am happy to share with you here:

CTX700 Fyi

As the photos below show, I am now using the [rather expensive but excellent] Rotopax mounting system. Using bungee cords to "secure" an auxiliary fuel tank (Rotopax or not) is unwise.
Don't ask how I know.
View attachment 89055

View attachment 89056
I know the feeling well. On a 800 mile trip I thought I would just retrace my steps as far as my gas station stops but I forgot that on the return trip I was driving uphill for 400 miles and riding against the head on westerly winds. Fortunately the exit ramp ran down hill to the gas station as my bike cut out and I pushed my bike to the pump. I learned a lot that day. Head winds can cut down as much as 20% on gas mileage. 🎅

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually I knew that, but I was kinda dare-ing the bike to run out of gas because I was packing the Rotopax. She took the dare and now I - and everyone else on this board - know that 150 miles (@ 48 mpg) is a worse-case situation on a CTX700 DCT under very adverse conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts