CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing out to the YSS shock and the resulting improvement in both compliance and adjustment, the overall height remained. I'm not at all tall but with a 30" inseam the bike sits far lower than necessary to comfortably handle. Adding the shorter dog bone shock arms for a 40mm rise in seat height has given a more comfortable seat level. The handling does seem to be sharper by perception though freeway stability remains excellent.

In anticipation I added a clamp foot to the sidestand though it could benefit from a thicker pad, the center stand (Honda) is very easy to engage now though.

Wrench Hand tool Tool Household hardware Bicycle part
Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok yesterday I tackled a local less than maintained road. The combination YSS & dogbones made this inappropriate ride doable. These vids are straight off the dash cam so the activity is about 1:20 into the 3 min segment...

Front Cam
Rear Cam

Sky Plant Land vehicle Tire Plant community

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
ok
a couple of observations and a few questions.

Indeed your video seems to show a much smoother ride than I would expect from that horrible road.
Can you list the model number of that new shock?
and, the dogbones, what are they?

I actually have a road, about 2 miles long, after I get off the HOV when I commute here in Houston, that has many potholes that have been overfilled and create a lot of uncomfortable bumps, so I might do that to my bike.

Next observation:
That road is truly horrible. It looks like braking would be a challenge, so you gotta keep the speed in check, and there looks like a rather sever drop off on the right side of that road. Is that true? Which could make it a rather dangerous ride.

So the real question is, why would you want to take a joyride down that road, unless there was a significant love interest
waiting at the end of it?
so, what's the story.....................

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Oh, and one last thing.
Your picture shows you still have the standard OEM exhaust and muffler on your bike, but the recording sounds so much better than my bike. Is it just my perception, or did you remove a baffle or do something to yours that changes the exhaust note, or am I just hearing things??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and one last thing.
Your picture shows you still have the standard OEM exhaust and muffler on your bike, but the recording sounds so much better than my bike. Is it just my perception, or did you remove a baffle or do something to yours that changes the exhaust note, or am I just hearing things??
Stock muffler, the mic pickup for the dashcam is located in the steering stem area of the fairing. For some reason it adds Hollywood sound effects.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok
a couple of observations and a few questions.

Indeed your video seems to show a much smoother ride than I would expect from that horrible road.
Can you list the model number of that new shock?
and, the dogbones, what are they?

I actually have a road, about 2 miles long, after I get off the HOV when I commute here in Houston, that has many potholes that have been overfilled and create a lot of uncomfortable bumps, so I might do that to my bike.

Next observation:
That road is truly horrible. It looks like braking would be a challenge, so you gotta keep the speed in check, and there looks like a rather sever drop off on the right side of that road. Is that true? Which could make it a rather dangerous ride.

So the real question is, why would you want to take a joyride down that road, unless there was a significant love interest
waiting at the end of it?
so, what's the story.....................
The dogbones are the linkage for the shock, the picture is the longer stock & shorter after market. They do nothing for the ride comfort. They do raise the seat, adding a bit of ground clearance and altering the steering slightly to more aggressive all very subtle. If you need the seat to remain low its not a recommended alteration.

I ordered the YSS shock from
brooksuspension.co.uk
good people and they will work with you.
Honda CTX700 YSS Shock Absorber (14-18)
SKU: MZ456-300TRL-48
1£276.71

As to why go to inappropriate places for a cruiser?... That's where the chicken went...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Raise seat height with gel. I will be undoing the stock seat cover and installing a special seat insert. The company is named "purple" . Purple produces pillows, mattresses and seat pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts