CTX 700 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Rebel, I don't know what your deal is, other than you can't stand to admit you are wrong and you seem to tend to ignore what other people say if it doesn't fit your "I can't be wrong" agenda.

How can I have forgotten the amateur aspect when I specifically addressed it? Do you even read what other people write? It often looks like you don't.

You don't need timing to a thousandth of a second to detect modest changes in power over a standing start quarter mile or in a timed rolling-start test of a sufficient length. If an elapsed time drops a consistent 2-5 tenths of a second then there's more power being used through the timed section. If speed traps don't measure horsepower you'd better get on the phone to the SCTA because Bonneville is coming up in about 6 weeks, and they'll want to make some big changes to how they do things.

You make a lot of bold assertions but don't seem to have much of a clue about a lot of technical things (though I'll grant that I've seen you now and then offer some reasonable advice to people in some areas at this forum). What is your racing experience to back up all your claims? You say "An experienced racer knows this". I've won a vintage RR national, I've won money in an AMA National pro-am Battle of the Twins road race event (5th place, but it still paid off), and I've gotten a fair number of trophies at the intermediate level in club MX and observed trials. In the 45 years that I've been racing I've designed AND built my own race bikes (engines and chassis) and I've worked with experienced engine builders to develop some of my road race engines with flow benches and on the dyno and at the drag strip. Does that sound like I just might be a slightly experienced racer who knows something?

You need to chill and realize that it is OK to admit when you don't know something. People will respect you for that. Shucks, the older I get the more cautious I am about making definitive statements because I've got a very good idea of how much I don't know even though I'm considered by a fair number of savvy people to be pretty well informed about a lot of technical stuff compared to the run of the mill motorcyclist.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Rebel, I don't know what your deal is, other than you can't stand to admit you are wrong and you seem to tend to ignore what other people say if it doesn't fit your "I can't be wrong" agenda.
Being the first one to call someone wrong in an argument doesn't make you the one that is right!

When power change is so small, you need very specific recordings to notice any difference. So yes, consistency in the thousandths of a second in recording is very important. And again....Changing torque and horsepower changes effect acceleration simular to changing gear ratios, therefore drag or acceleration tests are not a good way to measure anyway. Want real and accurate readings, a real, reliable dynamometer is the only way to do it!

My deal is you leading others to believe you are a mechanic with racing experience and also "claim" to know it all and then make up shady backyard tests of power measurments and claim that they are legit. I have only stated facts and specific details here and why your techniques are bad. Maybe if you read my posts you would have seen and understood that instead of taking defense and making it a personal attack. You are the one trying to sell inaccurate and misguided information! Telling people to judge off feeling and improper techniques is just BAD information!

I don't need your resume, if anything it is flawed! A claimed racer or mechanic advising the use of improper technique over proper technique is all anyone needs to know!

I don't need to post my resume, this is a public forum, not a job interview. I do not need to sell my self to earn respect. My advice, knowledge and experience does that for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I ordered a new exhaust and don't care for the original. anyone ever did a mod to the original to try to beef up the sounds ,can I re- pack it or strip it out I like the look but sound wise it blows

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
JFC, Rebel,

Thanks for the helpful information! I installed this pipe. (I'm an engineer but I don't actually know how to DO stuff). Very easy install and very pleased with the more robust sound of this pipe! Except for the cool noise, I don't notice much difference. I did do the "ride 200 miles and check tightness" thing and the collar took maybe a 1/8 turn. Leaving the safety wire on for a while.

You two gentlemen have been so helpful... thank you very much!

·
Registered
28 Posts
New owner here and so far I'm loving these forums. Thanks everyone!

I, too, would like my sporty/cruiser/couch to sound more like a motorcycle, so I went searching for aftermarket exhausts and this is kind of the only option? Either way, it's a cheap modification to the SOUND, which is all I'm concerned with. Though my CTX700N is a 2014 it's new (13 miles), and I would like to make sure I'm not going to damage the engine by installing the Radiant pipe (for warranty purposes). Someone else here suggested just reinstalling the OEM exhaust before taking the bike in for maintenance.

Sadly I'm not a huge fan of the way this pipe looks, but I guess I'm also not married to the OEM pipe either.

·
Registered
466 Posts

I, too, would like my sporty/cruiser/couch to sound more like a motorcycle, so I went searching for aftermarket exhausts and this is kind of the only option? Either way, it's a cheap modification to the SOUND, which is all I'm concerned with. Though my CTX700N is a 2014 it's new (13 miles), and I would like to make sure I'm not going to damage the engine by installing the Radiant pipe (for warranty purposes). Someone else here suggested just reinstalling the OEM exhaust before taking the bike in for maintenance.

Sadly I'm not a huge fan of the way this pipe looks, but I guess I'm also not married to the OEM pipe either.
The Radiant and Coffman Shorty's are the least expensive, slip on mufflers, and seem to change the sound very well. If you're looking for something that looks more like the stock pipe, but in a dark gray/matte black finish, go to YouTube and search for Bodis exhaust on CTX700. There's a couple of videos on this European pipe, and It sounds good enough to me that I've put it on my shopping (or at least dreaming) list. It isn't cheap >$400, but it is built for the bike, so you don't have mounting problems, and it carries the exhaust gasses to behind the rear axle, and it has a nice deep rumbly resonance. But, then again, I'm partial to this, not just because of the sound, but because the US Distributor is just a few miles from me, and I can save shipping by just picking one up.

Go to YouTube and check out all the CTX exhaust system videos, and then make your choice.

·
Registered
28 Posts

The Radiant and Coffman Shorty's are the least expensive, slip on mufflers, and seem to change the sound very well. If you're looking for something that looks more like the stock pipe, but in a dark gray/matte black finish, go to YouTube and search for Bodis exhaust on CTX700. There's a couple of videos on this European pipe, and It sounds good enough to me that I've put it on my shopping (or at least dreaming) list. It isn't cheap >$400, but it is built for the bike, so you don't have mounting problems, and it carries the exhaust gasses to behind the rear axle, and it has a nice deep rumbly resonance. But, then again, I'm partial to this, not just because of the sound, but because the US Distributor is just a few miles from me, and I can save shipping by just picking one up.

Go to YouTube and check out all the CTX exhaust system videos, and then make your choice.
I definitely like the look of that Bodis more, and the sound is decent, but the price tag isn't in my near future and the Radiant will get the job done for now. The Coffman requires drilling the pipe and a rivet I think, and I'd rather not use destructive methods for a slip on. Aren't those really the only options?

Is it important to have the exhaust gasses behind the rear axle? Doesn't the Radiant have a curve on the end to expel gas away or down?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Is it important to have the exhaust gasses behind the rear axle? Doesn't the Radiant have a curve on the end to expel gas away or down?
Yes, the Radiant has a slight curve allowing you to direct the gasses away from the bike. You never want to point it down since harmful, hot exhaust gases containing carbon monoxide and road grime will bounce and rise up off the pavement just where your seated. It is generally best to have the tip of the exhaust pipe located behind the axle or at least facing away.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I definitely like the look of that Bodis more, and the sound is decent, but the price tag isn't in my near future and the Radiant will get the job done for now. The Coffman requires drilling the pipe and a rivet I think, and I'd rather not use destructive methods for a slip on. Aren't those really the only options?

Expelling gases away or down works when you're moving. Where will it go when your stopped at a traffic light? My choice is to get the gasses and sound behind me. BTW - If loud pipes really saved lives, then why don't the owners turn the pipes around to face forward? And, put a nice flared shape in the end like a trumpet, or like air horns on 18 wheelers? :laugh:

There are other choices, if you know someone in the exhaust, or motorcycle muffler, business. I saw one with a modified Yoshimura that looked good and sounded almost as good (to me) as the Bodis. I also saw one with a custom megaphone, and one with a Two Brothers Racing (modified H-D) muffler. If this bike were more popular, I think we'd see more options. The basic fact is that most Honda owners (of all touring models) seldom change the pipes, so there isn't a huge market for any builder. And the last thing is that CTX700 owners (including me) are intrinsically cheap. That's why you see mostly Coffman or Radiant slip ons.

Exhaust systems are like motor oil or beer. Everyone has their favorite. And, like the old Buffalo Springfield song "Everybody's right, and nobody's wrong"

You won't hurt anything, but your pocket book, by installing any of them. Pick your choice, and enjoy your ride.

All the best,

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got done removing the stock muffler and it's absolutely amazing the sound that comes out of this engine/exhaust. It's so mean and growly sounding, my wife ran out to the garage to yell at me about it scaring the life out of her. The muffler on this bike really is a giant silencer if this is truly what it's supposed to sound like.

I'm unsure if this is what I want, something in the middle would be preferable, like the Bodis. I'll try riding it without the muffler for a few days and see if the sound draws too much negative attention. I know my alley neighbors are most likely going to hate it tomorrow morning!

Edit: I put the muffler back on. It was just too loud for me. I enjoy the CTX for what it is, smooth power delivery, comfortable seating, and Honda quality. I don't need Harley pipes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
...Edit: I put the muffler back on. It was just too loud for me. I enjoy the CTX for what it is, smooth power delivery, comfortable seating, and Honda quality. I don't need Harley pipes.
I just ordered my Radiant exhaust and might end up doing the same and putting the stock back on. I'll just have to see how my wife and the neighbors react. We live in an active adult community with house pretty close together.

I have a friend who has HD with Stage 5 kit, it is so loud that it hurts to ride behind him without earplugs. I've given him a lot of $#it about them; so, I expect him to have some fun with me. But, Radiant will be no where as loud as his.

The main reason I ordered the shorter exhaust is so I can more easily use the Cyclegear Rear Paddock.

John

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just ordered my Radiant exhaust and might end up doing the same and putting the stock back on. I'll just have to see how my wife and the neighbors react. We live in an active adult community with house pretty close together.

I have a friend who has HD with Stage 5 kit, it is so loud that it hurts to ride behind him without earplugs. I've given him a lot of $#it about them; so, I expect him to have some fun with me. But, Radiant will be no where as loud as his.

The main reason I ordered the shorter exhaust is so I can more easily use the Cyclegear Rear Paddock.

John
I love mine and think you will as well. It's not obnoxiously loud, it just sounds right. The perfect amount of throaty. Plus, it makes the bike look sportier without the marching band trumpet attached.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Top 6 Reasons why slip on exhaust is awesome.
This is not a article about which exhaust is the best but why you should install an aftermarket exhaust and in particular why a slip on exhaust is best for the Honda CTX700. Just my opinion from my 1 month use of my Radiant Shorty.
1. Very Easy Modification. The factory exhaust comes off easy peasy and the slip on installation is even easier. The CTX PCM system dynamically adjust everything on the fly so there is no need for a Fuel Controller or changing the air filter. Its 2 steps: remove old and slip on new and you’re done baby. Older bikes had a map specific to the factory settings and if you change the exhaust you had to get a Fuel Controller to remap everything.
2. Very Easy on Wallet. You only need to buy the slip on and I paid just $120 for mine. Done. No Fuel Controller or High Flow air filter. The exhaust being slip on is very affordable. Just don’t get your hair cut for 6 months and you have enough money saved up for your new exhaust.
3. No Difference in Fuel Efficiency. I’ve been riding mine for about a month now and I haven’t noticed any change in fuel economy. I get about 3L/100km or 78 MPG on highways and 4.8L/100km or 49 MPG on city streets. That hasn’t changed. I haven’t noticed any change in performance as well.
4. Clear A Lot of Space. I actually don’t mind the factory exhaust. I like the appearance and even the quiet sound but with the slip on installed I can now stand at red lights without my calves pushed outward by the exhaust cover. Now my right leg naturally comfortably falls straight down. Adjusting the chain slack is one step faster as you don’t have to remove and reinstall that exhaust end cover. I carry a portable swing arm jack which I can now use more easily when I want to lube my chain.
5. Sound Is Just Right. I can only speak about the Radiant Shorty. The sound is beautiful IMO. It is throaty enough for me. Not too loud. It even burps and pops. There is a lot of dimension to that exhaust sound. The Radiant Shorty exhaust is “loud” at start but then tones down when you get up to speed. I really like that because I think its “loud” when its useful (in slow traffic) but then quiets down as you start cruising on the highway. That means it will not give you a headache after long rides. You barely hear it when you’ve reached highway speed where you will be cruising for the next 2 or more hours. Perfect. (added 9-20-2017. I rode without my ear plugs and man it is LOUD lol. With ear plugs it sounds just right though. Without ear plugs you can still definitely hear it on the highway.)
6. Fun and Useful in Traffic. I don’t mind being in traffic so much because I can play with my exhaust now. And IMO although I agree loud pipes contribute nothing to safety on highways, I firmly believe they can be another tool in helping you stay safe by being noticed in city street traffic. The exhaust is loud enough it acts as a passive horn and when you really need to get noticed you can pull in the clutch and rev the engine. Instead of honking (which some people may interpret as an aggressive act) you can rev the engine. Many times now I’ve done this and notice a pedestrian or cyclist or motorist turn their head. If you honk, they may know you’re there and react by thinking, “What!? are you honking at!? I know you’re there.” I use the exhaust as a tool to get confirmation without using the more “aggressive” act of honking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if anyone looks at this page still but I’m a newbie with a 2014 ctx700. I’ve been reading this forum and was wondering since it’s been a while what everyone still thinks about the shorty radiant exhaust on their ctx’s. Has it affected engine?

·
Registered
805 Posts
It will not affect engine. If you want to know what it will sound like just take off stock muffler and go for a ride.

BTW, anyone who wants one I will sell you one at a great price. I prefer the peace.

Reactions: 350Four and Arrgh
41 - 55 of 55 Posts