CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Professor*76 just sent me a link to these. I wonder if anyone has some experience with them? Seem like they might do the job I want them for. Easy installation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the slider extend out far enough to protect the upper plastic and or my leg/ankle if the bike is dropped? Have you done a controlled lay-down in the garage to see if it works? I see you have luggage guards as well so between the two you are probaly in pretty good shape. I did a left hand drop 2 weeks ago and my ankle took quite a beating. The R-gaza seem to extend out quite a long way but a little leery about fit, altho' the pics clearly show them on a faired model. Price is close to equal.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
It's funny, and I have written about this here before. I bought those rear guards 2 1/2 years ago and was going to put them on my bike on my day off, Thursday Nov 30th.
On Wednesday Nov 29th, 2017 I crashed hard on Hwy 45 in Houston. The bike was totaled. It took a few months before I could walk again but the following August 31st I bought my Blue CTX700 and put on the rear guards.
I bought the sliders that were available from T-Rex but they rubbed my shins. When T-Rex came out with these guards, with the sliders, I bought them. They really work Great. And Yes, I did lean it over in the garage and yes, they do a very good job protecting the fairing. But the real reason I have them, and the rear guards, is for my feet and legs.
I broke my legs up pretty good in the crash. I really feel that I would not have sustained so much damage if I had the whole set on my Red CTX.
So I feel pretty good about this set up. It's as close to a "cage" as I think we can get on this.
And, from the picture, you can see my wife has all the room she needs. No interference for either of us.
T-Rex offers both sets together.

For 329.00 it's a lot of comfort.
I like 'em.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. My main criteria is also protecting my body. I have bags but not OEM; doubt the rear guards would work with my setup. Will continue with some research but am going to do something. Interesting to note: 82 looks but not one comment about, or experience with, the R-Gaza product. Was hoping for some feed back about them.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
My bags are not oem either.
i got them because I could add some light
take some measurements and see if you can make them work.
bike with lights 2.jpg
bike with lights 2.jpg
bike with lights 1.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
194 views and not one comment about the R-Gaza bars; Surprising. This product must be totally unknown in this community. Not any more! I ordered them today. I like the relatively easy attachment, and protection for the bike, and more importantly for me, appears to be good and the pics clearly show them on the faired model. Hoping I don't get caught in a situation like Bob Witte with his Chinese knock-offs of the Fehling bars. Deliver is probably at least a month. I'll report on them when they get here.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
166 Posts
I like the look of them, better than the others I’ve seen here, but I haven’t bought them yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
194 views and not one comment about the R-Gaza bars; Surprising. This product must be totally unknown in this community. Not any more! I ordered them today. I like the relatively easy attachment, and protection for the bike, and more importantly for me, appears to be good and the pics clearly show them on the faired model. Hoping I don't get caught in a situation like Bob Witte with his Chinese knock-offs of the Fehling bars. Deliver is probably at least a month. I'll report on them when they get here.
Judging by the photos, they'd get in the way of my legs (6-1 tall) :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did order these last week, expecting delivery mid to late August. I just now was notified that it was shipped, with an expected delivery of Sep 22. 😧

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I received the R-Gaza bars today. Ordered July 15, here Aug. 18. Not bad. Into some other stuff for a while so no time to install them, but opened the box to check them out. Minimal instructions but they are probably sufficient. Well wrapped, and a cursory check of the bars and the welds seems to indicate a reasonably quality product. They connect to the foot peg bracket, now a floorboard, on my bike. Not looking forward to the spring issue there, but maybe I can up up with a simple solution. Will report again when the install happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I received the R-Gaza bars today. Ordered July 15, here Aug. 18. Not bad. Into some other stuff for a while so no time to install them, but opened the box to check them out. Minimal instructions but they are probably sufficient. Well wrapped, and a cursory check of the bars and the welds seems to indicate a reasonably quality product. They connect to the foot peg bracket, now a floorboard, on my bike. Not looking forward to the spring issue there, but maybe I can up up with a simple solution. Will report again when the install happens.
WHEW! Until I clicked on the picture and saw the detail, I was worried that the bars looks really gray, instead of black/flat black. Happy to discover that the gray was the foam wraps, and not the bars!

Now that you mention it - I'm hoping my bars show up soon! I'd kinda forgotten about them since it's been so long. Also I have to put stuff out of my mind if there's nothing I can do about it (speed up, slow down, whatever). Otherwise I fixate too much and it isn't good for me mentally.

When they finally get here I'll have to break down and finally get to work on my bike. I still haven't installed the brake light modulator I bought, and I need to check/adjust my rear shock. It's so hot right now, but I need to set aside the time and just commit to getting it all done. I've been holding off on buying highway pegs to attach to the bars; I'll get into that after they're installed.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would like to see some good shots of these when unwrapped as well as installed. It looks like floorboards are compatible.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Curler, you mentioned minimal instructions. My Fehling bars came with this warning: Be sure to completely install each side...ie if you start with the right side, completely tighten the bolts before going to the left side. There is a 17mm engine bolt that you need to remove, and the engine may shift in the frame if both sides are loosened at once. Not sure if it mentions that. It should be torqued to 40 lb-ft.

You are the first forum member to try this unit, I think, so good luck, and let us know how it went.:) It looks like a good addition for the fairing bike though.

Reactions: BobWitte

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jedi mentioned hot. Don't know where you are from but here in Calgary and most of Alberta and Saskatchewan it is brutal hot. 35C here right now. Maybe not hot compared to Palm Springs but some 18 records were set here yesterday. Most people, me included, don't have AC as it is seldom necessary. Hunkered down in the house with everything closed and the fans on. In 5 months it could be -35 then I can complain about that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm in Dallas, TX. 35C is 95F and it's that right now here, too, but not even close to being a record for us. We know better - we all have AC, if at all possible. Honestly, I grew up here, and I was constantly confused by national car commercials talking about a car having AC like it was a luxury or at least unusual. I couldn't imagine a car not having AC. Now I'm grown and still think that, but I'm at least aware of other climates where it isn't necessarily a basic necessity of life.

Where I'll be doing the work on my bike, I'm realizing that it's an attached garage - maybe I should leave the door open from the kitchen for about 12 hours prior to working. Let my house AC cool it down a bit beforehand. Hmmm....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
R-Gaza bars installed today. Went to a buddy's place, a former motorcycle tech ( an aside trivia fact: in The Long Way Around when Ewan had an accident in Calgary, the white haired guy welding his side case was him) who has a lift in his garage. Sure beats laying on the garage floor. Long story short, these are a quality product and they fit perfectly. Prortection appears to be good. Will do a controlled lay down in the near future. Only 2 securing points on each side, the peg/floorboard bracket and the upper sorta rear engine bolt that all other guards for this bike use. A sturdy pipe joins the two side across the front. 6 bolts total. Took about an hour or this first time effort; could probably do it in 35 - 40 minutes next time. Doesn't get much easier than this. I have attached 4 pics from the bench. The bike is in the garage here at home and I can do some detail pics if some one wanted. The reason for the guards was due to me dropping the bike on my ankle in June resulting in a partial tear of the Achilles. Rehab going well, but with the time it took to get the bars I got impatient and found another solution: I have included a pic of that solution as well. Different!
P1000540.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi Curler: did you order them from ebay or somewhere else? what did they cost? I would be interested in how you find them. Will be installing my denali driving lights as soon as my new mounts arrive, and also considering floorboards and am thinking more about leg guards (screw the engine, I am more interested in my legs). Phil

·
Registered
668 Posts
Could you take a shot showing the attachment at the peg bracket?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts