CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off.... Hello to all!

I am close to purchasing either the CTX or the NC700, both in DCT. I prefer the lower price and the 'feet-forward' design of the CTX, but like the storage avaiability of the NC700.

My question is... At 6'5", with most of my height in my torso, am I a little to 'long' for the CTX vs the NC? I have sat on both bikes and am comfortable on both but wonder if, on a longer ride, the CTX would prove to be uncomfortable.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks

Bill

·
Premium Member
795 Posts

I am close to purchasing either the CTX or the NC700, both in DCT. I prefer the lower price and the 'feet-forward' design of the CTX, but like the storage avaiability of the NC700.

My question is... At 6'5", with most of my height in my torso, am I a little to 'long' for the CTX vs the NC? I have sat on both bikes and am comfortable on both but wonder if, on a longer ride, the CTX would prove to be uncomfortable.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks

Bill
Hi Bduffey - Bill, welcome
Since you said lower price, my guess is you are comparing the naked CTX to the Nc700x. Many riders pick the CTX due to it's lower seat height. That is not your case I think.

The NC700x has been around longer and has many more accessories for it (aftermarket and Honda). The trunk up front is very usable. The forward vs under you pegs you should really try sitting on both models more (if dealer doesn't mind) to get a sense of it.

also look on the internet forum for the NC700X to see what rides of that model are talking about to get a sense of it's owner likes, dislikes and experience with it.

The NC700x is mostly sold with 6speed trans so DCT reviews will be less.

good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm 5'11" and feel a little cramped on my wife's CTX, as opposed to my Ultra Classic. Rode her bike 200 miles the other day and was thinking about some other peg locations. I think if you're 6' or taller the CTX might be too small. At my height my knees will just barely fit into the recesses in the side of the tank. It was pretty cool that day and I was experimenting around with tucking my legs tight to shut off some of the cold air.

I'm pretty sure you can put some forward set cruise pegs on a NC700X (mounted on engine guards).

I put a 47 liter Givi top trunk on her bike along with the Honda panniers. Plenty of room now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes sir. Just need to get the photos on my regular computer to resize them. I never turn it on anymore (**** those smart phones).

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm 5'11 and I was deciding between the two bikes. I didn't feel comfortable with my feet on the ground on the NC700. That is why I chose the CTX. I too loved the storage space on the NC700, but just didn't feel right to me. I love the lower seat on the CTX.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm 6'4" I had the seat raised and repadded and it's great now. Also put floorboards on for my size 16 shoes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm doing this because I can't figure out how to start a new thread or where to post my question.

I just signed up on this forum because I'm planning to purchase a CTX700.

I've been riding 55 years and for the past 13 years I've been riding Harleys. I'm in the process of selling my 2014 Harley Dyna Low Rider which I bought new in February this year and now has over 9,000 miles on it. I like Harleys but I'm just tired of dealing with the dealerships and the mechanical issues on Harleys. I remember fondly back in the 60s, 70s and 80s when I rode only used Japanese bikes and NEVER once had a mechanical problem. NEVER.

Now I'm 70 and I just want to ride, not fix, not deal with snarly Harley service managers.

I'm concerned about getting the CTX700 because I do a lot of highway riding here in Arizona and the Southwest U.S.

I've thought about a CTX1300 but I would kind of like to try the DCT automatic transmission. Plus, the 1300 is over 700 pounds and that might be a little heavy for me. I've gone to the Dyna Harley series because of weight. Weight is a minor issue because I have an artificial leg and can't really push the bike around if it's heavy.

Does anyone know if the 1300 is ever going to have DCT?

Does anyone have any suggestions about my buying a CTX700 DCT ABS with:

1. heated grips,
2. full front fairing (one of the models comes with the fairing but I don't know the designation - NoT "N" but something else).
3. Saddlebags.
4. Top bag.
5. Luggage rack.
6. Floorboards to replace footpegs.
7. Best after market seat (I usually get Corbin but wasn't happy with the last one I got. It attached in a funny way, and felt too small).
8. Louder horn.
9. Engine / side guards.
10. And anything else you see advisable.

I'm thinking this will be my last bike and I want it to have everything to go with Honda dependability.

I'm not opposed to a used bike but I want to end up with all of the features and accessories in my list.

I'd appreciate any direction of advise.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks

Bill
Test ride a CTX and see how you fit. Siting on a bike at the dealer isn't a real good measure of fitment. You have to ride the bike a decent distance. My guess is that you will be cramped.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I'm doing this because I can't figure out how to start a new thread or where to post my question.

I just signed up on this forum because I'm planning to purchase a CTX700.

I've been riding 55 years and for the past 13 years I've been riding Harleys. I'm in the process of selling my 2014 Harley Dyna Low Rider which I bought new in February this year and now has over 9,000 miles on it. I like Harleys but I'm just tired of dealing with the dealerships and the mechanical issues on Harleys. I remember fondly back in the 60s, 70s and 80s when I rode only used Japanese bikes and NEVER once had a mechanical problem. NEVER.

Now I'm 70 and I just want to ride, not fix, not deal with snarly Harley service managers.

I'm concerned about getting the CTX700 because I do a lot of highway riding here in Arizona and the Southwest U.S.

I've thought about a CTX1300 but I would kind of like to try the DCT automatic transmission. Plus, the 1300 is over 700 pounds and that might be a little heavy for me. I've gone to the Dyna Harley series because of weight. Weight is a minor issue because I have an artificial leg and can't really push the bike around if it's heavy.

Does anyone know if the 1300 is ever going to have DCT?

Does anyone have any suggestions about my buying a CTX700 DCT ABS with:

1. heated grips,
2. full front fairing (one of the models comes with the fairing but I don't know the designation - NoT "N" but something else).
3. Saddlebags.
4. Top bag.
5. Luggage rack.
6. Floorboards to replace footpegs.
7. Best after market seat (I usually get Corbin but wasn't happy with the last one I got. It attached in a funny way, and felt too small).
8. Louder horn.
9. Engine / side guards.
10. And anything else you see advisable.

I'm thinking this will be my last bike and I want it to have everything to go with Honda dependability.

I'm not opposed to a used bike but I want to end up with all of the features and accessories in my list.

I'd appreciate any direction of advise.
Welcome to the forum Azfred. You've come to the right place. The CTX700 D model with DCT/ABS and fairing would be a perfect bike for you. Its easily modded and there's a tremendous amount of information here on the forum concerning what works and what doesn't. The faired model with DCT is very easy to ride since it handles similar to a sport bike and its 529 lbs feels more like a 250 since it has one of the best CG's on the market. The DCT is a dream to use once you have spent a little time with it. Lots of threads here on it. I think you would be well pleased with it.

You can easily start a thread by selecting one of the forums and then clicking on the "start a new thread" link located at the top of the list of threads.

·
Registered
164 Posts
XKnight: I have a feeling Bill already got his answer since his post was from 2013.

Actually azfred is using this thread to get info because he couldn't figure out how to start a thread.

azfred: I can tell you this. This bike is very reliable, easy to ride and maneuver due to it's decent weight and super low center of gravity. Fuel mileage is stellar. There are many on here that have 10's of thousands of miles on their bike. All the mods you have mentioned are possible and most have been done. If you search the individual items on here you will find info about all the items and hear about the pros and cons. Official Honda accessories are a bit limited. You can get heated grips rear rack and side bags although the oem side cases do tend to be small. Shad does offer after market larger cases but they can be pricey. As long as you have come to terms with the fact that you are looking at a small cruiser and adjust your expectations to that point you should be pleased. There is something to be said about having a bike that is so easy to ride. I'm sure if others notice this post they will chime in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts