CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tall OEM windshield measures 14” from the top of the fairing. I’ve looked and looked and looked, and haven’t found a definitive height given for the Puig 7227. Can someone please measure theirs and tell me?

FYI the Givi windscreen that is really wide is the same height as the tall OEM, according to information I found on Amazon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Puig 7227 Clear measures 15" from the fairing to the top of the shield, measured along the shield and not with a 90 degree T-Square or anything fancy. Just tape measure along the shield, 15" vertical exposed. It's a beautiful windshield to look at.

Against my better sense of aesthetics I tried installing an adjustable windshield clip-on on top of it, it's the 11&1/2" wide one. Something like this: Link Got it on Ebay for less than $28.

After experimenting with many different positions, it turns out the fugliest position you can think of almost completely eliminates all wind noise (+ foam earplugs, FF helmet with chin guard curtain). Definitely eliminates all buffeting. The bike cruises peaceful and quiet at 90 MPH. The wind used to be a natural deterrent to me for speeding. Now I find myself zipping along all the time and thinking 'whoa I better slow down by 20 MPH to keep from getting tickets'. Even made a few phone calls with my Sena C10 Pro and people on the other end heard no extra noise and had no idea I was on my bike doing highway speeds.

Took that little extension off because it was so ugly and instantly regretted it. I'm a function over form kind of guy, so it's back on to stay.

-Sloppy

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Puig 7227 Clear measures 15" from the fairing to the top of the shield, measured along the shield and not with a 90 degree T-Square or anything fancy. Just tape measure along the shield, 15" vertical exposed. It's a beautiful windshield to look at.

Against my better sense of aesthetics I tried installing an adjustable windshield clip-on on top of it, it's the 11&1/2" wide one. Something like this: Link Got it on Ebay for less than $28.

After experimenting with many different positions, it turns out the fugliest position you can think of almost completely eliminates all wind noise (+ foam earplugs, FF helmet with chin guard curtain). Definitely eliminates all buffeting. The bike cruises peaceful and quiet at 90 MPH. The wind used to be a natural deterrent to me for speeding. Now I find myself zipping along all the time and thinking 'whoa I better slow down by 20 MPH to keep from getting tickets'. Even made a few phone calls with my Sena C10 Pro and people on the other end heard no extra noise and had no idea I was on my bike doing highway speeds.

Took that little extension off because it was so ugly and instantly regretted it. I'm a function over form kind of guy, so it's back on to stay.

-Sloppy
I’ve got a lip thingy also, similar if not the same as the one you linked. Can you show me a pic of the fugly positioning? Also how tall are you? And do you have any seat mods or do you ride stock seat?

My current setup, though I’m adding a top case later tonight:

·
Registered
120 Posts
The puig screen vertical height is about 1.5 to 2" higher and definatly the best looking tall screen available but if quite is your goal its not the best one. The givi screen with the add on defelctor is by far the quitest setup i have found its just not the prettiest. With a quiet helmet I was able to safely cruise highway speeds without earplugs using the givi deflector. with the puig i wear earplugs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve got a lip thingy also, similar if not the same as the one you linked.
Jedi, since you already have an adjustable extension, I suggest you experiment with it in the highest and ugliest positions too. You never know, one of them may be perfect for your needs and cost you nothing. That would certainly be easier and cheaper than a total screen replacement.

Adjust it a little, ride for a few miles, make a note of position and how you liked it... adjust again etc. and repeat until you run out of adjustment notches. Like I said, I hate the way mine looks, but after 10 trials and adjustments I found the sweet spot for noise and buffeting for me.

-Sloppy

·
Registered
11 Posts
5'3", Corbin low seat.

View attachment 87367

Safe riding! -Sloppy
@Sloppyburpfest,

I see you have a SHAD Top Box. Are you using the SHAD Top Mount with it? When I tried putting @prbpci0's Corbin Low Seat on my bike, it was too wide to latch down and fit...

Also @Jedi Leba, I have the Puig 7227W Touring Clear Screen and @prbpci0 gave me an extension that he said he thought was from Puig (possibly the Puig 6375W Clear). I don't recall hearing much road noise with just the windscreen, just felt like someone was punching my helmet. After I put on the clip on deflector, I didn't feel any difference at first, then I angled it the way @prbpci0 had angled his, and that buffeting was reduced drastically.

I'm 5'10 with a 29" inseam.

Steon

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Sloppyburpfest,

I see you have a SHAD Top Box. Are you using the SHAD Top Mount with it? When I tried putting @prbpci0's Corbin Low Seat on my bike, it was too wide to latch down and fit...

Also @Jedi Leba, I have the Puig 7227W Touring Clear Screen and @prbpci0 gave me an extension that he said he thought was from Puig (possibly the Puig 6375W Clear). I don't recall hearing much road noise with just the windscreen, just felt like someone was punching my helmet. After I put on the clip on deflector, I didn't feel any difference at first, then I angled it the way @prbpci0 had angled his, and that buffeting was reduced drastically.

I'm 5'10 with a 29" inseam.

View attachment 87385 View attachment 87386

Steon
@Jedi Leba

I just went out and confirmed, regardless of which actual model number the clip on is, it is definitely from Puig.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The luggage rack is something the previous owner put on. From the looks of it, it's the Amazon Honda knock-off type. It is not the OEM Honda rack and definitely not the Shad brand mount. Since this rack is was not Shad specific, the base plate that the top box mounts to could be attached to the rack any place the connecting bolts would hold securely. I was very careful with the placement to be sure the seat could come off without too much fuss before tightening all the plate's mounting bolts. Much like Jedi Leba's picture above, there was a vertical passenger backrest screwed to the rack too. That was removed to make room for the top box.

This is what I think the rack that came with my bike is link. Small side note in case anyone else asks: the backrest in that link is a few inches taller than the Honda back rest.

Also note, this rack was not exactly a precision part. It took a bit of patience, muscle and choice words to get it off and back on the bike again, so that rack is there to stay now.

-Sloppy

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just went out and confirmed, regardless of which actual model number the clip on is, it is definitely from Puig.
Hey @Steon , that Puig deflector looks a lot nicer than the cheap one I'm using. The Puig site says the MSRP is $120. At less than $30 the deflector I got seemed like an OK gamble for me since I never had one on any of my bikes before. But $120 for a deflector is robbery IMO. There are guys out there that just get a cheap piece of acrylic from the local hardware store and make their own.

Still, yours does look really nice. Enjoy!

-Eliot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey @Steon , that Puig deflector looks a lot nicer than the cheap one I'm using. The Puig site says the MSRP is $120. At less than $30 the deflector I got seemed like an OK gamble for me since I never had one on any of my bikes before. But $120 for a deflector is robbery IMO. There are guys out there that just get a cheap piece of acrylic from the local hardware store and make their own.

Still, yours does look really nice. Enjoy!

-Eliot
The Puig deflector came already installed on @prbpci0 's bike when he bought it. He said he wanted something a little more secure and got a mount that drilled/mounted through his windscreen. Plus he wanted it a little bigger, so he took off the acrylic of the mount he did put on, and cut a bigger piece of acrylic. When I went to test his Corbin seat for fit and comfort on my own bike, he gave me the deflector, along with floorboards and a couple other things that had all been on his bike when he bought it. So, I don't think I would have paid $120 for the deflector either! @prbpci0 's generosity was a real gift.. But like he said, at least he knows the parts are going to someone that will use them instead of sitting on his shelf.

@prbpci0 's Bike...

-Steon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts