CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into the ctx700n as an affordable commuter motorcycle. I go 35 miles one way to work a day. I really prefer not to go to a bigger bike, I have previously owned a 250 Suzuki for a few years. 90%+ of the time I can see this being a one person adventure but there would be times I would like to take the lady out for a cruise around the area. Im 240. Im an overweight chef. I know this bikes weight limit is around the 350 mark. With a passenger that would clearly put me over the mark. If I cant ride with her at times should I take a pass on this bike or do we think we can handle this? Id prefer not to have to purchase new shocks and tires off the bat either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would say I weigh about 200lbs...give or take a few pounds depending on how many cheesesteaks I've consumed lately. I would assume my girlfriend weighs in around 140-150. I have saddlebags with mounts, a top case with mounts, and crash bars all totaling up to a good 30+lbs. Even with both of us on all of our gear, I don't have any problem doing 70-80 with her on the back.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Dude,
Buy the bike. My wife and I two-up all the time.
I'm about 275 and she is a tiny as the day we met at about 110.
We cruise at 65-70 with no trouble on the highway and this bike is a nimble as ever.
That is why I love the CTX700. It carries passenger and bags cuz it thinks it's a bigger bike. But it is as nimble and easy to handle like a smaller mid size bike.
I do not have the rear shock pumped all the way up, and we ride on very civilized roads, so it is soft and my wife has no trouble straddling the bike getting on or off.
I know we exceed the suggested weight but that is just a suggestion. We do just fine.
And so will you.
By the way, we still get 60mpg.

Ride, and keep the rubber side down!
Ross and Angela
rolling 4.jpg
thumbnail_IMG-0711.jpg

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have been looking into the ctx700n as an affordable commuter motorcycle. I go 35 miles one way to work a day. I really prefer not to go to a bigger bike, I have previously owned a 250 Suzuki for a few years. 90%+ of the time I can see this being a one person adventure but there would be times I would like to take the lady out for a cruise around the area. Im 240. Im an overweight chef. I know this bikes weight limit is around the 350 mark. With a passenger that would clearly put me over the mark. If I cant ride with her at times should I take a pass on this bike or do we think we can handle this? Id prefer not to have to purchase new shocks and tires off the bat either.
I'm 210 and my wife isn't far behind and I know we exceed the weight limit indicated for this bike. Like you, over 90% of my riding is solo, but every time I've been joined by my wife for a local cruise, the bike has done just fine. The biggest thing I've noticed is that the brakes are less responsive when 2-up, and we ride accordingly. The bike is a fine commuter, a great little local cruiser, and still capable of the occasional 1,000 mile day. If you like the bike, buy it.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Dude,
Update on your progress. Have you found a bike yet?
Have you bought one?
Have you joined the Movement!!??!
let us know.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700N-1967 Honda CT90 TrailBike
7 Posts
My wife complained about the harshness of the passenger seat ride, but after purchasing the $80 AirHawk air-filled pillion pad, she said it’s comfortable now. We weigh about 300 lbs combined.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude,
Update on your progress. Have you found a bike yet?
Have you bought one?
Have you joined the Movement!!??!
let us know.
Test drove it. I was in the market for a motorcycle not a scooter🤣. Wheres 6th gear?? Thanks forv he responses though

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like you rode a DCT equipped one (auto transmission version). They do come in a manual 6 speed transmission configuration too.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Test drove it. I was in the market for a motorcycle not a scooter🤣. Wheres 6th gear?? Thanks forv he responses though
The standard transmission is a fast shifting, smooth 6 speed manual with a hydraulic clutch.
The other unit, and more expensive bike, is the famous Honda DCT, or Dual Clutch Transmission, which is a very successful automatic transmission.
My bike is a manual transmission, 6 speed. I like it a lot. But the DCT fans are passionate, and Honda is making the DCT available on more and more models every year.
But find a manual. It will take you where you want to go.
And the 6 speed is virtually impossible to break.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When we ride, I first increase the preload with the remote adjuster on the rear shock and with a better spring and a better seat, ie Corbin or others, she has been enjoying the rides compared to before.
Swapped the rear shock to a Wilber fully adjustable version after trying the Gonzo modified oem shock. Did not like the ride when single as the tail is taller and changes the ride and steering manners.
My old Honda Shadow I purchased a “Butty Buddy” rear seat pad and she really liked it verse riding on her crotch on the original small narrow pillon the Shadow came with. Reminds me the sell the Butty Buddy!
Pierre

Reactions: Arrgh
1 - 11 of 11 Posts