Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont think the profit in the CTX is going to be that much

·
Registered
8 Posts
OTD Cost

Has anyone actually purchased the 2014 CTX 700 yet? If so, inquiring minds want to know the OTD price along with the model you got and which accessories (if any). Also curious as to what part of the country you purchased. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am going to the Dealer today (5/25/13) to either purchase or order the CTX700D for my wife. She is a long distance rider and feels this bike just feels right after sitting on one. With the faired mode, heated gripsl and saddlebags, the bike is pretty much road ready. She logged 100k miles on a Buell single over the last 8 years and 32k on the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 the last couple of years, so we were both excited about this new Honda. Not sure if she will opt for clutch or DCT though.
Anyone want to buy a slightly used Buell Blast set up for touring? LOL!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great! Let us know how it goes at the Dealer today and which model/accessories you end up with. Looks like a lot of 'views' on this thread so everybody is curious on the $ for one.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It will be at $10k out the door. That is with the Fairing model, tall windhield, bags, DCT and ABS. I could not get enough knowledge from the dealer as to whether the bike does come with the bags and windshield. I believe it will be option add-ons but they thought otherwise. So, that could end up costing more.
I did put a deposit down for the first one that showed up, and it will be a while yet. We are not in a hurry so when it comes in, they will get the rest of the money. Not financing this bike.
I or my wife will keep the forum updated as soon as we get the bike and do some miles on it. It will be fun though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the update Thumper! I was estimating about 10K OTD for the automatic and you confirmed for me. Sounds fair to me. From briefly reading some of the other posts, it looks like the model you ordered is scheduled to arrive in the showrooms around mid-July? Time for me to start eating ramen for the next two months to save some $. :eek:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Mid-July is pretty much the consensus at this point. Good luck on the Ramen!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I paid $9k OTD for a CTX700ND (Automatic/ABS/Naked model). LOVE it so far! I've owned close to 20 different bikes from Harleys to VFRs to Ninjas to Triumphs, done track days, etc.; so it's a great ride for an experienced rider as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the update on the OTD price Donutninja. It gives the rest of us a gauge as we begin negotiations.;) Keep us updated on your riding experience of your new CTX as well.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I got the ctx700N in Red. 8050.00 out the door with state tax, delivery charges and license fees. Zero accessories. Finance 5k with Honda and their 36 month 2.99% rate will cost me 130.00 per month. so 6999.99 was base, I don't think this will be different from dealer to dealer now. Just be mindful of all the other stuff that is added at time of sale. As far as dealer, owner was nice, met him 2 years ago on some Sunday group ride meeting up at his store. Will be taking it on a 200+ mile group ride on the 30th. Some times as many a 45 bikes go. I am sure I could have gone to another dealer but why not someone you might ride with. I do most of my own service so don't spend much at any of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I talked with a salesman at my local Honda motorcycle dealer last week. For the automatic/ABS naked model with backrest (MSRP - $7,999.00 + $300 for backrest), they wanted $9,800.00 OTD. I offered $9,300.00 OTD and they said "No" and would not budge on price. I had to pass on the "deal" as I couldn't justify an $8,300 bike morphing into almost 10K.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
It would be useful when dealer pricing is presented that they are itemized somewhat so forum members can see what fees are usual and customary. None of us control license and tax fees that the dealers have to collect from us for instance. Most charge shipping and some document fees. A clear picture of the breakdown can help others decide if they wish to pay the price dealer is selling at.

My 7000.00 (6999.00) base using was 7838.98 out the door. Not unfair for me or dealer who I don't begrudge making a profit. I am glad he is still in business. They have the advantage as it is a brand new model.

Shop around as others have and you might find it at a price you think is fari.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dealer has a new CTX700N Naked auto/abs for $7999 + $210.00 dmv fee and No destination fees

That's $8209.00 OTD

No Sales tax in Oregon

·
Registered
975 Posts
I got quoted an OTD price for the fairing model, all standard, at just over $9K with an MSRP of $7799. The salesman wouldn't give me the actual quote, only the OTD price, so I'm going by memory that he charged around $290 for shipping; $149 for document fee; and $199 for assembly. That puts total fees at this particular dealer @ around $638 before adding the mandatory state and local charges.

The salesperson told me that Japanese-branded bikes have traditionally allowed higher margins than U.S. and European brands @ MSRP and have previously been around 17%, but that these new, lower priced Honda bikes are coming in around 9-10 percent, which is more like U.S. and European brands. He said the upcoming Grom will be about 5%. I'm assuming he was being somewhat honest to a point but not considering the Honda-suggested shipping charge in his assessment, which would bring the margin up to an acceptable level. I kind of believe him about the margins being low in general with respect to MSRP prices, because this is sort of the way it's been going in the car industry for years, however, he and I disagreed about the dealerships making up for the low margins. He said that they can't make it up. That they have to sell at MSRP. I said that they make it up with these fees. He said that those fees are not profit; they are actual costs. I told him that those are the costs of operating a business. That all businesses have costs to operate and that of course those fees add to the bottom line. What else could they do? They don't send the money out externally, and they will always have costs to buy and sell merchandise and for overhead, so of course those fees give them profit.

I did not haggle @ this dealership, because he and the sales manager and a couple of other members of the staff had a short conference and really studied before offering me a deal, and they knew I was shopping dealerships. When he came back to his desk, they had low-balled the trade in @ $3,000 for a 2013 BV350. They have three of this same model year scooter, new, on their sales floor listed for $5699 + $350 shipping + $199 assembly +$149 document fee and could not offer me more than $3,000 for one that is one year old. This dealer was so far off a competitive price, plus they were very low on the trade value, so it wasn't worth the effort to haggle, especially since they knew I was shopping and must have known that I could go somewhere else for a better deal. I was nice to them, but I was insulted by their offer, so I did not haggle.

Another area dealer said I could order one through them and get MSRP + $99 document fee + state taxes and fees. No shipping charge.

Another dealer said they would sell below MSRP (but couldn't say how much below exactly until invoiced) + state taxes and fees. No shipping charge.

I can't say for sure the actual deal that I'll get because I haven't been through the entire process yet, but if I'm getting what they have said I'll get, it will be MSRP or less plus state taxes and fees.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks West and Greg. All info is appreciated. The tax in my state is just under 5% so that should only add less than $400. Although the websites I checked indicate $310 for shipping, the Dealer wanted $500 on that front. Looks like I may have to buy in Oregon and ship it with a deal like that.... ; )

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
we in California must be careful buying out of state. The DMV will get their pound of flesh (sales tax) for sure.

Also, On used bikes they ususally require a visit to dealer or highway patrol to see if the bike has all the lights and brakes and smog and etc. The may make you do that with a new bike or prove that it meets CA standards the same as a new bike of the same model.

It will pay you to ask you state's motor vehicle place what the rules are bringing in an out of state bike. You might be surprised. Also most states probably have a web site that will tell you also.

·
Registered
975 Posts
we in California must be careful buying out of state. The DMV will get their pound of flesh (sales tax) for sure.
Buying out of state is not a big deal in TN and I assume most states as well. The sales tax and the title fee is collected upon registration of the vehicle. If it's a new vehicle, we have to take them an "origin of manufacture" document, which sometimes takes up to a month for the dealer to provide, but other than a time delay, it's not a big deal, and the dealers usually prefer selling to out-of-state customers, because it reduces their workload and paperwork. If it's a used vehicle, we simply bring the DMV a properly-filled-out cleared title.

When I purchased my scooter, the dealer offered out-of-state customers a better deal than in-state GA customers, because it is so much less hassle. I had to wait three weeks on the document, so I was untagged until I got it. That was the only problem for me.

Probably the sticking point for CA is that your state has its own emission regulations. Historically, CA started emission regulations before the nation did, and therefore they have the legal right to set their own standards, which they do, and this makes it like a separate country with regards to vehicle registrations. There was a time when, in the auto industry, there were four or five other states that followed the CARB regs instead of the EPA regs, but I believe that auto manufacturers signed on to that program voluntarily, because I believe other states don't really have the legal authority to set their own separate emissions standards.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I paid just a little over $10k out the door for my CTX700n but that also included a 5 year warranty I got as well.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I paid just a little over $10k out the door for my CTX700n but that also included a 5 year warranty I got as well.
Extended warranties are good if this turns out to be a problematic model. The fact the NC700x has been out for awhile helped me decide it should be very reliable.

You will have to have all the services done on schedule and document when and if you change your oil for instance. But the 5 year warranty will give you some piece of mind and for some riders that is a good value.

glad to see you here and happy posting of your experiences on your new bike.

Reactions: divemaster808
1 - 20 of 59 Posts