CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really thinking about the ethics of the issue :eek: (not really involved as its just data), I was wondering if it would be alright to post the price break-up of all the deals that forum members have made with the dealers. Please list

Your model,
The accessories,
Any warrenties,
The tax rate,
The price break-up out the door (OTD)

To begin with I am taking the liberty here to quote Nutty

"For the CTX700D (DCT ABS), the “A” dealership wants $8799(msrp) +$395(freight)+$597(tax)+$132(title, license and document fees), a total of $9923 (10K).
A “B” dealership wants $ $8399(below msrp)+$310 (freight)+ $566(tax)+ $50 (title&license), a total of $9325"

I will post my own data possibly tomorrow.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree, it's a big help to know what other are paying for the same bike. So when you go in to deal, you know whether or not they are actually working with you, or taking advantage of you.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
CTX700 MSRP $7,799
Sport Cycles Rockingham NC
I paid $7398.00, NO PREP, NO FREIGHT, NO DOC FEES
No additional items were purchased

VA taxes are 4% (I did my own DMV when I got the bike home) $295.00
Tags apx 50.00

Total was 7743

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CTX700 MSRP $7,799
Sport Cycles Rockingham NC
I paid $7398.00, NO PREP, NO FREIGHT, NO DOC FEES
No additional items were purchased

VA taxes are 4% (I did my own DMV when I got the bike home) $295.00
Tags apx 50.00

Total was 7743
That amazing CEETEEX, how did you manage that? can most dealers take off freight and doc fee? In my case they were charging ~$400 freight and ~$100 doc fee..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quoting Kirstenparks "Base price was 8342. Freight 199. Prep. 185. Processing 149." .. total comes out as 8726 + unknown taxes

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
That amazing CEETEEX, how did you manage that? can most dealers take off freight and doc fee? In my case they were charging ~$400 freight and ~$100 doc fee..

Sport Cycles in Rockingham NC is a volume
dealer with great service. I drive almost 5 hours to deal with Jeff.

·
Registered
975 Posts
CTX700. List at $7799.

I paid $7199 X 1.0975 TN tax + 65 for tags, title, registration; no dealer add ons, document fees or whatever else they want to call them. Total = $7965.90 OTD.

TN sales taxes are killer, but I think I got a very good deal, since the governor gets his cut even if I buy it out of state and come back to register it in TN. I'd still have to pay the 9 3/4% tax unless I buy used and lie about the price, or I move out of state and start paying a state income tax.

I think what we're going to find is that the non DCT/ABS, fairing model has more margin in it for dealers than the other models, and that's why we've already seen two examples of deals well below MSRP for this particular model. I paid $600 below MSRP.

The state taxes, title fee, registration, etc. vary from state to state, and is the cost for riding in each person's particular state and/or municipality, so I'm not sure how that part of the price is relevant for comparison. I do think it is relevant to include any dealer fees no matter what they call them, because all that stuff is made up anyway. It allows them to advertise for less than what they actually sell products for.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
CTX700. List at $7799.

I paid $7199 X 1.0975 TN tax + 65 for tags, title, registration; no dealer add ons, document fees or whatever else they want to call them. Total = $7965.90 OTD.

TN sales taxes are killer, but I think I got a very good deal, since the governor gets his cut even if I buy it out of state and come back to register it in TN. I'd still have to pay the 9 3/4% tax unless I buy used and lie about the price, or I move out of state and start paying a state income tax.

I think what we're going to find is that the non DCT/ABS, fairing model has more margin in it for dealers than the other models, and that's why we've already seen two examples of deals well below MSRP for this particular model. I paid $600 below MSRP.

The state taxes, title fee, registration, etc. vary from state to state, and is the cost for riding in each person's particular state and/or municipality, so I'm not sure how that part of the price is relevant for comparison. I do think it is relevant to include any dealer fees no matter what they call them, because all that stuff is made up anyway. It allows them to advertise for less than what they actually sell products for.
I think that a true comparison cold be found by excluding taxes because the vary from state to state. Also adding warranties and accessories should not be included either. They can be found online dirt cheap.

The sale price and any fees that are added such as prep, freight, and doc are the only relevant comparison numbers. Taxes, warranties, and accessories are different variables.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks gregsfc, I agree, I am going to the dealer tomorrow and am going to argue that they not charge me any destination/doc/prep fee. I dont know how it would go but I will try.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
EVERYTHING is negotiable, but bear in mind taxes in most states are paid on the sale price, not things like doc fees, freight, or prep. So, let them charge those if they want to lower the MSRP. The bottom line is all that matters.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the following analysis. I am adding some profit margins despite the reported discounts. Please let me know if you find anything off....

website price reported discounts

Motorcycle 8799 8342 reported 8199
Wind Screen 159.95 139.16 @13% reported 15%
Inner support 089.95 78.26 @13% reported 15%
saddel bag panel 129.95 113.06 @13% reported 15%
saddle bag stay 199.95 173.96 @13% reported 15%
saddle bag set 599.95 521.96 @13% reported 15%

total 9978.75 9368.38

tax @ 2.9% 10268.13 9640.07
Tags, title, regist. 70 reported 50
9710.07:eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Full Fairing CTX700 with accessories was quoted $8,798 before taxes.

Bike itself:7900 Listed(7,999)
Accessories included:
Hard Bags: 500 Listed(599)
Bag stays: 160 Listed(199)
Extended windscreen: 130 Listed(160)
Bag cover color match: 109 Listed(130)
This was with me puting on my own accessories instead of them doing it. I did zero negotioation, he knew I wanted it and was trying to sell it. I could have reduced it more if I had cash in hand and or played hard to get. I had no dock or destination fee's neither in these prices. You guys have to remember, msrp is not the actual price, just a ballpark list price. You can negotiate, they are trying to sell to you, make them drop prices to sell to you!

My credit wasn't approved so I didn't get the bike. I am now saving and going to buy the bike in cash. I have also kept my listed quotes for negotiation later too. Doing both, I will get an even better deal!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks gregsfc, I agree, I am going to the dealer tomorrow and am going to argue that they not charge me any destination/doc/prep fee. I dont know how it would go but I will try.
From my experience, some dealers will accept much, much less margin than others, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I found that the price different dealers would accept varied wildly when I shopped. I had a scooter to trade and only two dealers in my area would accept that scooter in a trade, so my dealer choices was limited to two. The Honda dealer in Murfreesboro, TN gave me an offer that was $1204 more OTD than the price I ended up paying at one of the Chattanooga dealerships, and when Murfreesboro gave me the offer, they said that was their bottom price. I didn't bother haggling with the Murfreesboro dealership, because they had already had a group conference to decide what they would offer me; they knew I was price shopping; and if that was the best, first offer they could give me, I knew that they wanted to make too much in order to close the deal, and I knew I could do much, much better.

When I reported the price I paid on this thread, I reported it as if I bought it straight out and added in the extra tax that I actually saved by conducting a trade. I think that's pretty accurate, since the dealer is selling to other customers w/o a trade at the same price they offered me, and therefore, the price I got for my scooter was the honest trade value that they were giving me for it. The dealership I bought from is so high volume that they can't get away with offering different customers different prices during the same month. They have a FB page and customers of the same items can easily hook up with each other, and we would know if they were offering different deals to different customers, so they just don't do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Made the Deal

Alright guys, I made the deal today, the breakup is as follows. Did not bring it home since wife wanted me to be fully insured before I rode and in all the paraphernalia.

Price: 8373 (8,799 advertised)
Prep fee: 110
Saddle bag: 618
Sdlbg stay: 210
windscrn: 168
inr suprt: 96
Panels: 138
Tax 4% 388

Total: 10,100 OTD

I know I knowingly paid higher on the accessories and I still have to pay the 1% tax at county. but I had worked the guy from 10,250 while another dealer was 10,450 after the so called "deals". Dealer were nice people, supposed to be one of the biggest Honda dealers. I guess if I had really worked the things I could have gotten the above configuration at ~9800. Oh well ... :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Alot of the price you pay has to do with your local market. Dealers in some areas just get more from consumers, because they can sell them all day at any kind of reasonable price, and in some markets, there is sort of an unofficial collusion with the other dealers wherein they all make out like bandits and all the dealers are careful not to undercut too much on price. Usually this will hold true for all merchandise in a particular market that is sold through the dealership system, e.g. boat, car, and mc dealers. This way they all get rich, and yet they all act like they are offering great deals, because they know you can't go somewhere else and do much better. There is always the choices of leaving your market and buying somewhere else, but then there is a huge expense and hassle to that as well, so what can you do? Pay it and be happy that you where able to get what you want!

It's not that these guys are actually lying about these prep fees, assembly fees, document fees, etc.; those costs are real it's just that these costs are just some of costs of doing business. It's not like these kinds of costs are exclusive to vehicle dealerships, but you don't go in to Lowe's and pay a higher price than is on the label simply because they have to light the place, unload trucks, put merchandise on the shelf, pay local business taxes, buff the floor, and count money. Heck, other retailers even have assembly costs for items that must be partially assembled to sale, e.g. gas grills and lawn tractors, but you don't see them often try to say the consumer must pay the extra costs for these costs of doing business.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alot of the price you pay has to do with your local market. Dealers in some areas just get more from consumers, because they can sell them all day at any kind of reasonable price, and in some markets, there is sort of an unofficial collusion with the other dealers wherein they all make out like bandits and all the dealers are careful not to undercut too much on price. Usually this will hold true for all merchandise in a particular market that is sold through the dealership system, e.g. boat, car, and mc dealers. This way they all get rich, and yet they all act like they are offering great deals, because they know you can't go somewhere else and do much better. There is always the choices of leaving your market and buying somewhere else, but then there is a huge expense and hassle to that as well, so what can you do? Pay it and be happy that you where able to get what you want!

It's not that these guys are actually lying about these prep fees, assembly fees, document fees, etc.; those costs are real it's just that these costs are just some of costs of doing business. It's not like these kinds of costs are exclusive to vehicle dealerships, but you don't go in to Lowe's and pay a higher price than is on the label simply because they have to light the place, unload trucks, put merchandise on the shelf, pay local business taxes, buff the floor, and count money. Heck, other retailers even have assembly costs for items that must be partially assembled to sale, e.g. gas grills and lawn tractors, but you don't see them often try to say the consumer must pay the extra costs for these costs of doing business.
Yup I pretty much agree with all of that gregsfc. It is difficult when one sort of knows what goes in the equation compared to one that has no idea of what are the components of the price. I earlier was ignorant to the components but then I took it up to calculate everything on my own. I was fully prepared to argue what the price would be etc, but I walked in and the guy right away said that I agree to your price of 10.1K and I have talked to the manager and its all ready to go. I had come in with a mind already that if they are gonna argue the 10.1 K price as quoted by another dealer, I will bring out my calculations and drive the price down even lower and if they dont agree, fine no bike from them. But they did not and I am trying to follow a lifestyle where wherever I can, I should save myself from grief. I did exactly that, however for inquiring minds I posted the numbers so they can save themselves from the trouble of going from dealer to dealer and trying to figure out what is the right price. hope it helps someone :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just went to a multiple brand dealer. He offered me a Ctx700 DCT, no optional equipment for $1,000 off list and $89 for shipping. He noted that he takes retail minus his cost and splits the difference. He feels that's a good deal for him and his customers. If you can believe that, it means that there is about $2,000 for a dealer to play with in dealing with you. He only has a 700n in stock but will call me as soon as the 700 comes in.

I just put my Vespa up on Craigs list with the Majesty coming up shortly. I think the Vespa may be the harder of the two to sell. We will see. If I can get the Vespa sold, I'll go ahead and place the order for the CTX700 from the dealer. This is a good time of the year to buy.

Jack

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with the whole local market thing. I had a Honda dealer in my town offer the N model to me at $500 ABOVE msrp, plus a ton of their inflated dealer specific fees to go along on top of it (a higher assembly fee compared to other shops, dealer fees, etc.). Needless to say, they didn't get my business.

Hope you enjoy your new ride though, sure is a great bike.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
2014 700DCT

8799.00 msrp
295.00 set up
266.99 taller windshield includes labor for it (yeah they rip me off on this one
395.00 freight
599.60 NY sales tax
3.00 tire tax
250.00 NY reg.
125.00 doc fee
- 3000.00 traded in my Burgman 650 (2006)

7733.59 amount financed to Honda Financial

Based upon prices I have seen on the forum, I would Not recommend this dealer in NJ :(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts