CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Since we can't rev the engine and drop the clutch on the DCT, does anyone harbor the thought in the back of their mind that the power train could be "preloaded" like they do in the car magazines for DCT sports cars? In other words, and for the DCT, hold down the right [rear] brake, rev the engine up a bit [somebody fill in the blank: to what RPM?], and then releasing the brake?

Potential damage?? Faster off the line?? Crazy??

[On my Kymco's , the CVT could be revved up, with front and rear brakes held down, and then released. Fun once in a while...]

Your thoughts?

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f:eek:

·
Banned
463 Posts
Howdy,

In other words, and for the DCT, hold down the right [rear] brake, rev the engine up a bit [somebody fill in the blank: to what RPM?], and then releasing the brake?

Potential damage?? Faster off the line?? Crazy??

Your thoughts?

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f:eek:
One way to find out......hold the brake, rev to about 4k, let go and GO....maybe.
Or else trade for a manual shifter.
Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I watched a clip somewhere about bike racing on the Isle of Man and was wondering the same thing .....

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I am only guessing as I don't have the automatic DCT version.

on my 1941 Harley I would hold the front brake lever real hard, pop the clutch and get the back tire spinning then let off the front brake. Maybe hold the front brake (be sure front tire on dry pavement and bike is pointed straight. Put in manual mode, 1st gear, twist the throttle and see how high the rpms will go before bogging down. Release the brake when at it's peak rpms. I am not sure reving engine in neutral and selecting 1st manually at high rpms would work but might be another way to drag start the automatic but imagine very hard on trans.

I think the smoothest way to do no harm and start off fast would be to use manual mode and once bike is rolling the dual clutch should be engaged and then twist throttle quickly and let the revs get about the max torque rpms say 5500-5800 and manually move to next gear.

If it works, fine. Have fun. It will work everything in the dual clutch harder than normal and could overtax the system or lead to premature ware just like slipping a manual clutch would on a manual bike.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I do know on the DCT that you can only get the rear wheel to go 15mph while the front is not spinning. The ABS tells the chassis computer things are not right and limits the rear wheel speed. I found this while trying to run it up on a rear stand.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I do know on the DCT that you can only get the rear wheel to go 15mph while the front is not spinning. The ABS tells the chassis computer things are not right and limits the rear wheel speed. I found this while trying to run it up on a rear stand.
that seems to settle that. Guess you can bump it into neutral will coasting 15 mph or more and rev it to 5k and punch it in gear... just kidding. why would you want to tear up a perfectly good bike.

thanks cobraguy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This also spells trouble if you ever lose the front wheel ABS sensor singal. Or if you ever can't get the bike to go over 15mph but it runs fine otherwise, you know what to check.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My VW GTI has launch control, it is great, you initiate launch control, put your foot on the brake, floor the gas, the engine will rev until I think 4k RPM and then it LAUNCHES the car. The DCT shifts faster than I can and makes for a very smooth, fast launch for a FWD car. I would kill myself if I had that on a bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts