CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, everybody. I just completed my 1st day of the hands-on (riding) portion of my Motorcycle Safety Course. You see, it's finally time for me to (legally) join the ranks of motorized 2-wheelers.

I've done a LOT of online browsing trying to decide what bike is right for me and I've ridden a few. I will likely be buying new. I'm not interested in anything below 600cc, a Harley-type cruiser, or a crotch-rocket. I was initially considering a vintage-styled standard (Triumph Bonnie, Honda CB1100, Moto Guzzi V7, etc.). It occurs to me, however, that since I will be taking my bike out for extended joy rides through the hill country of Central Texas, one of these "cafe-racer" styled bikes may become uncomfortable after a few hours.

Long story short, I'm a test drive away from possibly dropping a few paychecks on the CTX700N (base model). I like everything about it so far.

I have one question: Are any of you who have ridden this bike for a while as tall or taller than 6' 1" (my height)? It seems perhaps that this bike is tailored for a shorter rider and I may become uncomfortable on it.

As I mentioned, I do intend to test-ride it, but I'd like to get the informed opinion of a tall person who has ridden this bike extensively before I pull the trigger.

Thanks, y'all. :cool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello pascalawag,

I'm about 5' 11.5 " and the leg position of the CTX is just about perfect for me. I have to lean very slightly forward when gripping the handlebars unless I scoot up right next to the faux gas tank. It's pretty darn comfortable I think...

*** Tony (MisterHand)

·
Registered
10 Posts

I have to agree. I'm about 5'10 -11 and I just sold my NT700 which was uncomfortable for me because of the height. Of course the NT was a touring bike and the CTX if more of a cruiser to me. I had a VTX 1800 and it was about the same height as the CTX. I have short legs.

·
Registered
975 Posts
What I like about the CTX is that one can scrunch up near the gas tank when and if necessary and ride it like a standard bike (good for city riding and for times when one needs to be doing a lot of stop and going or slowing and accelerating), but then slide back as far as is comfortable, once under way on the highway, and stretch out for a good, comfortable ride.

I'm only 5'8 with a short torso, but it seems to me, because of its long primary saddle that it makes finding a good riding position very flexible on this bike, and that it would be a comfortable ride for those from 5'4" to about 6'2" as long as one's inseam is not extremely short. There has been a comment from a tall person on here stating pretty much the same thing. This person stated (and this is only a paraphrase) that it was amazing to him how this bike fits him who is taller than the average person and his spouse, who is quite short.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts